Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Mapping not too user-friendly

I'm having trouble both finding maps and even installing them. First off all available maps on the site just seem to be the ones in the game already and it is hard to tell which ones are in and which ones aren't.

Then it is too complex to install, Why can't we just drop into a folder?

Uhm.. you do drop downloaded maps into a folder?

Maps(/files) that you download from servers are at ~\xonotic\data\dlcache and you just need to move them to ~\xonotic\data and they will appear in the Create menu.

How are you installing maps currently? If you are unpacking them, you might want to clean that up. I don't want to be the one to troubleshoot issues coming from lone files deep in the directory structure.

(06-23-2013, 07:27 PM)Mirio Wrote: Uhm.. you do drop downloaded maps into a folder?

Maps(/files) that you download from servers are at ~\xonotic\data\dlcache and you just need to move them to ~\xonotic\data and they will appear in the Create menu.
OK but is there a map list on the internet some where with all maps available. Without all the ones that are already in the game. I don't want to get all maps from a server

(06-24-2013, 12:36 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: How are you installing maps currently? If you are unpacking them, you might want to clean that up. I don't want to be the one to troubleshoot issues coming from lone files deep in the directory structure.
Well I don't know a good source in the first place

Also is there a tutorial on the wiki or something

(06-24-2013, 04:39 AM)satuim Wrote: Well I don't know a good source in the first place

But you said it is too complex to install. I assumed you had been doing it the hard way, but it turns out you were just assuming it was hard without giving it a try first.

There is no tutorial on the wiki. It's a wiki, though. If you want to document your findings, feel free. Just PM me for wiki edit access.

You can find a lot of maps here: http://download.unconnected-clan.de/maps/

(06-24-2013, 08:12 AM)Mirio Wrote: You can find a lot of maps here: http://download.unconnected-clan.de/maps/
They should be on the main site as well

(06-24-2013, 07:49 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: But you said it is too complex to install. I assumed you had been doing it the hard way, but it turns out you were just assuming it was hard without giving it a try first.
Because there is hardly any documentation or tutorials.
Quote:There is no tutorial on the wiki. It's a wiki, though. If you want to document your findings, feel free. Just PM me for wiki edit access.
I'll see how I go at map installation first. I feel that the wiki should be more up to the creators though

OK well thanks for that link Mirio. I have installed some maps. Now I have even figured out how to get Nexuiz maps. But A little problem. The loading screen is bugged because all I did was copy the main data file from Nexuiz. Any help?

(06-24-2013, 07:50 PM)satuim Wrote: They should be on the main site as well

I would argue that a list of links such as this one isn't exactly user-friendly either...

Why do you feel that the wiki should be up to the "creators"? What creators are you talking about? If you're talking about the people who currently contribute code, they don't inherently have a better knowledge than any other player and aren't more qualified to write documentation. If anything, I would like people from the community to contribute docs because, unlike code and assets and such, there isn't a lot of technical skill involved, just language.

You can't copy the main data from Nexuiz, because that contains the menu, config files, and pretty much everything else. You basically just turned Xonotic into a broken Nexuiz by moving that file in there.

What you should ideally do is repack the maps individually. Or better, look in the list Mirio posted to see if the map you want isn't already there.

(06-25-2013, 12:32 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-24-2013, 07:50 PM)satuim Wrote: They should be on the main site as well

I would argue that a list of links such as this one isn't exactly user-friendly either...

Why do you feel that the wiki should be up to the "creators"? What creators are you talking about? If you're talking about the people who currently contribute code, they don't inherently have a better knowledge than any other player and aren't more qualified to write documentation. If anything, I would like people from the community to contribute docs because, unlike code and assets and such, there isn't a lot of technical skill involved, just language.

You can't copy the main data from Nexuiz, because that contains the menu, config files, and pretty much everything else. You basically just turned Xonotic into a broken Nexuiz by moving that file in there.

What you should ideally do is repack the maps individually. Or better, look in the list Mirio posted to see if the map you want isn't already there.
I removed everything except the maps folder now i'm playing good. And everything is normal. If I were to make a community site with it's own wiki. Don't think I would be able to pay hosting fees or anything.
But thanks If I can use your wiki and add info Smile

I managed a community wiki back in the Nexuiz days (amoebios/4m managed it before, then got busy with things, and I also got some support from other community members).

http://ouns.nexuizninjaz.com/

It was a mess. Thinking everyone would write clearly and consistently, as well as keep the content up to date, was way too optimistic. Some people did wonderful things though, and I really thank them for their work.

The dev.xonotic.org wiki is a good starting point for community-made documentation, we don't need to put more effort in hosting yet another website.

(06-25-2013, 12:21 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I managed a community wiki back in the Nexuiz days (amoebios/4m managed it before, then got busy with things, and I also got some support from other community members).

http://ouns.nexuizninjaz.com/

It was a mess. Thinking everyone would write clearly and consistently, as well as keep the content up to date, was way too optimistic. Some people did wonderful things though, and I really thank them for their work.

The dev.xonotic.org wiki is a good starting point for community-made documentation, we don't need to put more effort in hosting yet another website.
Thanks for telling me. Your Nexuiz site isn't working for me. Oh well I don't play Nexuiz anymore. Marked as Solved

(06-28-2013, 07:11 PM)satuim Wrote: Thanks for telling me. Your Nexuiz site isn't working for me. Oh well I don't play Nexuiz anymore. Marked as Solved

Try again later, nexuizninjaz.org is prone to failure.

(06-29-2013, 02:47 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 07:11 PM)satuim Wrote: Thanks for telling me. Your Nexuiz site isn't working for me. Oh well I don't play Nexuiz anymore. Marked as Solved

Try again later, nexuizninjaz.org is prone to failure.
If you remember I post I made saying that the game in underrated. Maybe we should a message saying that Nexuiz has been bought, Nothing has been done with it and it has been forked to Xonotic.

It's a static archive of a web site. It does reference Xonotic in the info page that's linked at the top, and I'm not going to change this any further.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] wonky user stats (I'm in a game today, by I'm last seen 1 month ago?) snailtrail 6 3,252 09-25-2022, 05:40 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
  [SOLVED] Mapping: Move permeable wall upon trigger stingray300k 5 1,846 05-26-2021, 10:19 AM
Last Post: stingray300k
  [NEED HELP] Netradiant, xonotic-mapping-support and maps dir? Gwlanbzh 1 1,429 02-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: AriosJentu
  [BUG] Checkpoint timer fades too quickly, shows wrong values Bloodthorn 6 3,436 11-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [NEED HELP] Mapping help shanajer_ 1 2,797 08-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SOLVED] Can't See Custom User Models/Textures Deathsbreed 4 3,749 05-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Deathsbreed
  [SOLVED] Problem with screen being too large and off center. Cow_Fu 2 4,447 03-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Ishatix
  [SOLVED] [Solved]mapping, brush to disarm players Leeloo 2 4,090 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Leeloo
  [NEEDS INFO] [Solved] help mapping Leeloo 12 12,460 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Last Post: Leeloo
  [SOLVED] Mapping - Using decals in Xonotic Minkovsky 2 3,474 09-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky