Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic 0.8 - The Map Update?

Well just an idea but should the next update be dedicated to maps? Adding more. Here is some maps it should include:
  • All Nexuiz Maps
  • A few Quake 1 maps in there for fun. (Cube 2 did it)

I mean it can have other improvements as well. But I feel that the maps included are a bit well. Bare.

So, give this suggestion some Heart if you Heart it!

And who do you think will make those maps? Wink

(06-28-2013, 05:54 AM)machine! Wrote: And who do you think will make those maps? Wink

This.

There will be new maps of course. Some from Xonotic, some from Nexuiz.

(06-28-2013, 05:54 AM)machine! Wrote: And who do you think will make those maps? Wink
Are you a mapper?
Anyway first off the ones from Nexuiz need to be in. So that is where we will get them from

First off, what you are proposing is a tremendous level of effort from the mapping team. Beyond just making sure that they compile and "show" in-game, they do a ton of things to make sure the maps fit into the overall theme or purpose of the project. They do styling, scaling, item/waypoint placement, and performance tuning (just to name a few things). A lot of the Nexuiz maps just don't survive or even deserve this level of scrutiny, and that's a *good thing*.

Secondly there's a lot more to this game than just maps, and our development team is structured accordingly. We put our time where it is best spent - in the various areas of expertise!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

But some maps were great, toxic for example

Antibody pointed the problem out, pretty precisely. Xonotic has its own artstyle and a higher quality standard thus maps from Nexuiz GPL / Quake / etc. needed to be tweaked a lot or even totally remade. That needs more than a little bit of effort.

As far as I am concerned, I´d rather see more new maps than remakes. Sure, some good old classic maps are worth it, but discovering new ones is more exciting in my opinion.

@frostwyrm333: Still, Toxic uses low resolution textures, misses lots of details and the (weapon/) layout may has to be rethought. ... uhm wait, what do I see here? Tongue

I' ve seen this map. Its a remake made from scratch by Jhonny, if I recall his nick name correctly. It needs some work and scaling down a lot (at least 0.8 imo), but I like the style. Not sure about the gameplay though.
I agree with Antibody. Very good points you got there.
Its good to make new maps, you could do it do, Satium.

Ooooh, I spent 10 minutes chasing around and jumping stationary bots from above.

(06-28-2013, 01:19 PM)Justin Wrote: I' ve seen this map. Its a remake made from scratch by Jhonny, if I recall his nick name correctly. It needs some work and scaling down a lot (at least 0.8 imo), but I like the style. Not sure about the gameplay though.
I agree with Antibody. Very good points you got there.
Its good to make new maps, you could do it do, Satium.

I could but it's too complex. I like your Imprisoned map. I think it suits Xonotic and the music it great!

So maybe more maps from the community?

(06-28-2013, 06:54 AM)Antibody Wrote: First off, what you are proposing is a tremendous level of effort from the mapping team. Beyond just making sure that they compile and "show" in-game, they do a ton of things to make sure the maps fit into the overall theme or purpose of the project. They do styling, scaling, item/waypoint placement, and performance tuning (just to name a few things). A lot of the Nexuiz maps just don't survive or even deserve this level of scrutiny, and that's a *good thing*.

Secondly there's a lot more to this game than just maps, and our development team is structured accordingly. We put our time where it is best spent - in the various areas of expertise!
But what about all the maps the community makes?
Xonotic will even display the author, Giving full credit to the authors.

(06-28-2013, 07:18 PM)satuim Wrote: But what about all the maps the community makes?

That's already how it works. But we have quality criteria for inclusion in the game, which makes development of an official map a longer process.

If we wanted we could just take some of the community maps which are licensed under GPL, and include them into Xonotic without asking the author. We don't do that because we need the mapper to collaborate with the team to meet the requirements for inclusion.

(06-29-2013, 02:43 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 07:18 PM)satuim Wrote: But what about all the maps the community makes?

That's already how it works. But we have quality criteria for inclusion in the game, which makes development of an official map a longer process.

If we wanted we could just take some of the community maps which are licensed under GPL, and include them into Xonotic without asking the author. We don't do that because we need the mapper to collaborate with the team to meet the requirements for inclusion.
Take a look at some maps on these forums, Or scroll up and click on Justin's maps in his signature. Are they quality?

I'm not the one in charge of judging them. "Quality" is kind of a wide criterion. It also includes style (whether it matches Xonotic's artistic style), gameplay, item usage... Things that aren't immediately obvious when looking at a map for a couple of minutes.

(06-30-2013, 04:20 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm not the one in charge of judging them. "Quality" is kind of a wide criterion. It also includes style (whether it matches Xonotic's artistic style), gameplay, item usage... Things that aren't immediately obvious when looking at a map for a couple of minutes.
Do you know any maps you would call quality?

No, because I hardly know about other maps. And as I said, that would be my opinion, and not the Xonotic team's. I have no idea how they select and adjust their maps.

(07-01-2013, 02:21 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: No, because I hardly know about other maps.
Nobody is stopping you from trying out a few Smile
Try some out and you might be impressed.

Here a just a few:
http://download.unconnected-clan.de/maps...ail-b2.pk3
Nice idea but the textures don't really look good but the Xonotic Team should keep an eye out for a similar idea in the future! (spoiler: the maps name reflects the setting Tongue )

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3575
A really nice one done by Justin, Has nice textures. I like the setting which seems to be an underground storage/factory

I don't play the game, so I don't judge the quality of a map.

(07-01-2013, 02:49 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I don't play the game, so I don't judge the quality of a map.
What, why are you here if you don't even play it?

to take care of what is happening on forums and ban trolls and spam-bots, to anwser lots of questions (doesn't matter if they are stupid or wise), help members to get their xonotic working right, help mappers to create their own maps, make forum clean (no shittalking and arguing), to give important advices and much more.
There has to be an obvious I though. Look at Mr. Bougo's Reputation points. You think that came out of nothing?
Yes, Mr. Bougo.
We Love you.

(07-01-2013, 08:28 PM)satuim Wrote: What, why are you here if you don't even play it?

I played Nexuiz a lot a few years ago, and learned to tinker with the internals and the game code. I don't really enjoy playing the game anymore, but I like the community and I enjoy helping people. I think I'm still kind of successful at it. You're free to think otherwise.

Also, thank you Justin. And you are more than I could ask for when it comes to helping people with mapping. I'm glad you're here because I know nothing about that part of development.

(07-02-2013, 05:30 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(07-01-2013, 08:28 PM)satuim Wrote: What, why are you here if you don't even play it?

I played Nexuiz a lot a few years ago, and learned to tinker with the internals and the game code. I don't really enjoy playing the game anymore, but I like the community and I enjoy helping people. I think I'm still kind of successful at it. You're free to think otherwise.

Also, thank you Justin. And you are more than I could ask for when it comes to helping people with mapping. I'm glad you're here because I know nothing about that part of development.
Oh ok. BTW does Justin have a mapping tutorial. And will it be as easy as
cube 2 sauerbraten?

(06-28-2013, 10:28 AM)Maddin Wrote: @frostwyrm333: Still, Toxic uses low resolution textures, misses lots of details and the (weapon/) layout may has to be rethought. ... uhm wait, what do I see here? Tongue
I see a 404 Tongue

Yeah, maps get cycled off the build server when newer versions come in. His point is that toxic is in the git repository. Look in http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What about to give us a way to disable update message? Seacat17 1 786 07-20-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] DUEL UPDATE - MUTATOR Kotangens 2 2,152 07-15-2020, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Please update the menu UI. liquidjerome 5 4,267 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  [SUGGESTION] Recent master branch update concerning spawning SPLAT 38 35,502 05-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Last Post: LotBlind
  [SUGGESTION] Single player update Karamel 0 3,367 05-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Karamel
Information [SUGGESTION] Fix and update bot movement Dazerio 6 5,297 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Mepper
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to vote map, gametype and mutators after each map Exitium 13 20,338 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m