Create an account

Poll: Support?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
3 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More In-game music?

I feel that there needs to be more in-game music that plays.
Problem is there isn't really that many tracks.

The Internet Rules are to use creative commons music only. so something like Jamendo, Or the Internet Archive. And search around.

Do you support?
And do you know any songs that would suit?
Please post

Voting yes won't magically bring in lots of tracks. We need actual help in managing the music submissions. We have a lot of stuff in the queue and I don't see any work being done to select music for inclusion in the game.

So yeah, vote Yes if you want, but that's not going to change a thing.

Actually there are like 3 accepted tracks from a poll (that is at least 1 year old!) but they never made it into the game (yet). :/

(06-24-2013, 07:45 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Voting yes won't magically bring in lots of tracks. We need actual help in managing the music submissions. We have a lot of stuff in the queue and I don't see any work being done to select music for inclusion in the game.

So yeah, vote Yes if you want, but that's not going to change a thing.
I still think just slipping a few Creative Commons tracks here and there wouldn't hurt

(06-24-2013, 08:13 AM)Mirio Wrote: Actually there are like 3 accepted tracks from a poll (that is at least 1 year old!) but they never made it into the game (yet). :/
That's a bit of a shame

Well I have learned a little more and I think the music depends on the map

I've got a few tracks in the works but there's a backlog of tracks waiting for approval, and even then it's up to the mappers to decide what tracks they want to use. Seems there are a few tracks that get used repeatedly that don't fit Xonotic at all. Certainly no offense to the authors, especially since they've made other tracks that work really well. Can't recall off the top of my head which maps it's in use in, but there's an enya-ish/almost tropical type track in use on a few maps that, in my opinion, does not fit Xonotic in the least. The vast majority of official tracks are fantastic, and I hope the stuff i have in the works can get used, and bolster the amount of tracks mappers have to choose from. In a perfect world there should be no reason to re-use the same tracks in map after map, but at the moment there's not much choice. As the audio guy, at least elected/suggested by Samual, I will pick up the task of listening to the tracks waiting for approval and do my best to serve Xonotic in the best way possible. Xonotic is a unique game with a unique feel, and calls for good, high energy, non-generic stuff that fits the personality of the game.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

What can we do to make things move forward?

Submit more music?
Help moderating submissions?

Maybe we need some better workflow for accepting submissions?
Maybe a little dedicated web application for listening/voting/uploading/tagging/updating/giving-feedback?

Or maybe just a bit more attention and time from us all? ;-)
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(06-25-2013, 10:52 AM)unfa Wrote: What can we do to make things move forward?

Submit more music?
Help moderating submissions?

Maybe we need some better workflow for accepting submissions?
Maybe a little dedicated web application for listening/voting/uploading/tagging/updating/giving-feedback?

Or maybe just a bit more attention and time from us all? ;-)

Making or setting up tools to manage things would be worth the time on a larger scale, but it really isn't right now, considering the limited resources.

Better workflow /is/ needed (perhaps a new tracker in dev.xonotic.org could work?).

I think the team could use some help in the music department, yes. But you should ask them directly.

Sorry about the double post. I talked to merlijn who is vaguely in charge of music (in his words). He confirms that we have enough music in the queue. We can't really add it to the game without maps, obviously, and adding too much music would make the download larger. That makes new music undesirable.

If you feel there isn't enough music in the game, perhaps what you need is a setting to randomize music instead of always playing the same on the same maps? That could go to the dev tracker as a feature request.

Yes we should submit more music,will try to upload more game music.

hi , as far as file size for game... , in this day and age i think the internerdnet has changed up by now and i think game file size could increase now.

so if , say 6 more tunes were added , this would only be 30meg or more (who cares)

i really would like to see a head count of the devs that are still committed to updating this game and keeping it current.

PUT YA HANDS UP NERDS!

t

:^
[Image: 227.png]

Pack Size is always important, be it because of 5/6MB or 50/60MB more, size is a deciding factor in a Downloadable Game.

(06-28-2013, 07:11 AM)chooksta Wrote: hi , as far as file size for game... , in this day and age i think the internerdnet has changed up by now and i think game file size could increase now.

so if , say 6 more tunes were added , this would only be 30meg or more (who cares)

i really would like to see a head count of the devs that are still committed to updating this game and keeping it current.

PUT YA HANDS UP NERDS!

t

It still adds up. It doesn't matter to you perhaps, but not everyone is as lucky.

Anyway, as said above, if we were to add 6 more tunes, we would need 6 more maps to go with them. Unless we change the convention and implement randomized music.

(06-28-2013, 11:25 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 07:11 AM)chooksta Wrote: hi , as far as file size for game... , in this day and age i think the internerdnet has changed up by now and i think game file size could increase now.

PUT YA HANDS UP NERDS!

t

It still adds up. It doesn't matter to you perhaps, but not everyone is as lucky.

Anyway, as said above, if we were to add 6 more tunes, we would need 6 more maps to go with them. Unless we change the convention and implement randomized music.
It does depend on the map. Maybe the ability to include music tracks on a custom map if you cannot already, That would work

(06-29-2013, 10:08 PM)satuim Wrote: It does depend on the map. Maybe the ability to include music tracks on a custom map if you cannot already, That would work

Uh, you can. Mappers can pick any music from the game or add their own in the pk3. But there's no point at all in putting music in the game that no part of the official game uses.

Or do you mean to let users choose? I don't see how you would want to make that work.

(06-30-2013, 04:01 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 10:08 PM)satuim Wrote: It does depend on the map. Maybe the ability to include music tracks on a custom map if you cannot already, That would work

Uh, you can. Mappers can pick any music from the game or add their own in the pk3. But there's no point at all in putting music in the game that no part of the official game uses.

Or do you mean to let users choose? I don't see how you would want to make that work.

What would be nice is a way to indicate in the mapinfo file a path to where the music file is located and sev it to the player. This way no need for new versions of maps and the serer admin can change the track anytime although I guess could be abused but then so can anything.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-30-2013, 11:37 AM)end user Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 04:01 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

What would be nice is a way to indicate in the mapinfo file a path to where the music file is located and sev it to the player. This way no need for new versions of maps and the serer admin can change the track anytime although I guess could be abused but then so can anything.

It works exactly as you're saying, actually. But I can't guarantee that the server will always tell the client what track to play. The way it /should/ work is that the client looks for itself in the mapinfo, to minimize useless communication with the server.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of abuse you're mentioning. A server can pretty much send any command to the client's console, but that has no incidence at all outside of the Xonotic directory.

(06-30-2013, 02:29 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: It works exactly as you're saying, actually.

I meant more like the mapinfo/server directing the users Xon client to dl a music package or something like that kinda like a server package.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Yeah? Load a music package, have mapinfos on the server refer to the music from the package.

But as I said above, don't count on that, it's not a feature and it's likely to go away at one point.

And as I've told you earlier, try not to be that server admin who just has to make everything different "just because". Downloading extras is a pain.

And please only distribute music that you're actually allowed to distribute. I've had cases of admins pushing copyrighted content to clients, and that can mean trouble.

Quote: Uh, you can. Mappers can pick any music from the game or add their own in the pk3. But there's no point at all in putting music in the game that no part of the official game uses.

No I did mean that the map authors choose.

That's what I said. Mappers can put any music they want in their map.

(07-01-2013, 02:45 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That's what I said. Mappers can put any music they want in their map.
Thats a good feature, I'll remember for sometime when I make a map

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 675,207 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,192 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,804 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,383 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,143 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,104 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,604 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
Music Low interest in music development - why? unfa 28 30,044 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Jar-El
  I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork 98digger 3 5,716 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Orchestral music for Xonotic BuddyFriendGuy 9 13,970 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy