Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic testing : Announcer for player join the match

Ofc this is fake with magic of video editing but if Samual works on it, it could be awesome as Mirios ctf runs Smile

metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

I'm famous!

Who did the voice?

bitbomb
metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

Now make this announcments for 27 481 players (edit: now its only 27 476 counting the ones in the video). Or you want to have them only for 'top players'? I guess there won't be 'Justin' and thousands of others names announced. Good luck.

(07-12-2013, 12:57 AM)Justin Wrote: Now make this announcments for 27 481 players (edit: now its only 27 476 counting the ones in the video). Or you want to have them only for 'top players'? I guess there won't be 'Justin' and thousands of others names announced. Good luck.

The plan is to hire a 24/7 team to pronounce the names live as people join.

this is pretty neat... but...
Even with just top 10 players it would be a lot of work to maintain.

I think it would make more sense to use this kind of thing only as a reward for tourney winners etc. so that bitbomb only has to record every couple months.

(07-12-2013, 02:47 AM)s1lence Wrote: this is pretty neat... but...

I think it would make more sense to use this kind of thing only as a reward for tourney winners etc. so that bitbomb only has to record every couple months.

Or make that a feature for our Xonotic Premium users.

(07-12-2013, 02:52 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(07-12-2013, 02:47 AM)s1lence Wrote: this is pretty neat... but...

Or make that a feature for our Xonotic Premium users.

Haha. Good joke there Big Grin

Another solution would be that players can pre-record their announcers, send them into a global repo. The sound can't be longer than 2 seconds, and needs personal authorisation first to prevent profane announcers. This though might be a problem, as we'll need a few people to listen to new submissions every few days or so.

Oh, and as always: client side cvar it, so I can turn it on/off anytime I want Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

The Player With The Unnecessarily Long Name will be tough to pronounce "cool" in 2 seconds. Or think about sys 49152 / 4c00c0. Or any other obscure name that is barely pronouncable at all.

I don't see a possibility to enable this for all players in a way that would keep up a persistant / homogenous style. C.Brutail's idea is probably the best so far in this respect, but a global repository would require double authorization (once by the player, once by Xonotic team), otherwise we'll have all sorts of crap in that repo in no time. Who will be wanting to do that? This would be a service someone has to commit itself to for more than just a week or so. Hard to find people that are committed enough to the idea and the game. Plus, having everybody pronounce its name by itself would end up in awkward style discrepancies.

And then it also depends on bitbomb's motivation and readiness to spend time and effort into this. I could figure this being a feature to be added to the game as tourney award for the top X scorers, but then again I don't really like the idea of the game offering special features to an "elite" player group, and when bitbomb looses interest, no more player names can be added to the announcer system unless we redo the entire thing from scratch.

I don't see how this can possibly be implemented in a sane way... :o(
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Full ack on what halogene said, although I think it's a pretty neat idea =)

Maybe we're all better off just using these kind of announcers for fragmovies and such. If bitbomb will do these "on request" and keep the ones he already did, there would soon be a collection of samples with most of the active players. And since I don't see a new fragmovie every week, it also shouldn't be too much work to add new samples when needed... Wink
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Maybe a vocaloid-like system in which not the entire name is recorded, but parts which you can combine to say what you want. (And thus to match the name Tongue)

Great for VoDs! Big Grin Although very difficult (if even possible) to implement, but edit them into some VoDs would be cool! Smile

@MrBougos' 1st and 2st joke, lol'd pretty hard xD

Cool idea, but I hope it will stay as a mod, its too insane to be in vanilla.

I think our work here is done as only these players deserve to be announced. Let's implement these and let noobs shudder whenever one of us joins the server. Big Grin

I'm always happy to do requests. I have much larger sessions that are way overdue and I feel really bad about that, it's just trying to find the time to do it. Need a good solid uninterrupted 4 hour block at the very least to get something substantial done (in-game announcement and character voicings). But small one-offs with just a handful of phrases or names are no problem, I can usually have them done within a few days. Also, these are from the baseline first-take demo, from which direction and fine tuning is supposed to come. Final verions of this stuff will sound better, the mic check in my signature is a closer representation of what final versions will sound like.

I agree that in-game implementation would be hard to do sanely. Halogene nailed that imo (except the part about my losing interest lol). But anything for Xonotic videos, just send me a PM or hit me up on IRC. I've always had interest in doing voiceover, and have actually invested cash into getting the right gear just for Xonotic (my studio has always been for music production, voiceover is a specific area of recording), so I'm pretty married to it. (The love kind, not the 'oops, we had a kid' kind).

EDIT: PLEASE don't let me mispronounce your name!
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

Quote:27 481 players
"Big Grin"

ON: Awesome idea, good luck with your project!

eh no need to record anything, use espeak
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(08-10-2013, 06:14 PM)FruitieX Wrote: eh no need to record anything, use espeak

That makes so much sense. Why wasn't it brought up before!? I like the idea that a butchered espeak pronunciation of a screenname would become assimilated by players as the official way to pronounce it.

Also run the chat through espeak. Moonbase Alpha proved that people love it.

espeak, that's a great idea! Still, maybe best to have it opt-in if implemented as I hard to believe it will sound as cool as these. Tongue

uhm... I think that Mr. Bougo was cynical about espeak.
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

It was more continuing with FruitieX's irony Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music How can I replace the announcer sounds with the ones I want? tempest 1 311 02-07-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  New Announcer: eSpeak Mario 2 4,783 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Last Post: 3agle427
  [NEED HELP] Custom Announcer 3agle427 4 3,986 01-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Last Post: 3agle427
  Very Metal Announcer mod Smilecythe 4 7,461 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Peer Editing Of Announcer Script Samual 3 12,567 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bitbomb
  Proposed announcer demo bitbomb 67 59,903 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Archer