Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Can I Monetize YouTube Videos of Xonotic

I recently did a video on Xonotic, and because I haven't experienced any bugs or other problems the review was really good. However, Google's auto checker says that I need to tell them:

A. My video contains only my original content.

B. I have an online license for some or all of my content.

C. I have written permission to use some or all of my content.

If I choose B or C, then I have to show them a link to the license/written permission. So can I monetize this video?

I don't really get your question, but of course can you monetize on a video that features Xonotic.

What I'm saying is I need one of the makers of the game to give me written permission, because this video isn't my original content.

Hi!

I discussed this a little with merlijn over irc.

It's kind of difficult to give you written permission, because it's not clear who exactly should do that. If it's about copyright, there are way too many people behind the audio/visuals to ask permission from each one of them.

However, since everything in the game (including the logo) is GPL licensed, you are by definition free to redistribute the content and make derivative works out of it (for example a video for a review). There is no doubt that you are not infringing on anyone's copyright.

If we interpret this as a derivative work, there might be some trouble with the GPL's clauses that require such works to also be licensed under the GPL. But at the same time you have quotation rights and other kinds of fair use to protect that sort of use of Xonotic's content. As no one here is a lawyer, this is all fairly blurry to all of us. Merlijn seems to say you don't need to worry about this.

The Xonotic name might be protected under trademark law but I don't think that's relevant to this discussion.

There are things you need to pay attention to, though. First of all, you should be careful if you add any music to the video that you don't have a right to reproduce. You should also be aware that third-party content (custom maps, the overkill mod, etc.) might not be under permissive licensing, so you can't use the GPL to justify the use of those.

EDIT: If that wasn't clear, it seems like B is the right option.

Wow, thank you Mr. Bougo.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can we make Xonotic more popular? anoob 29 9,833 10-01-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Trixtoxia
  Where can I download the binary file of GMQCC compiler? Xonotics 19 14,675 04-17-2018, 05:15 AM
Last Post: Xonotics
Wink ZeRoQL Stream + Youtube Vods (UPDATED) zeroql 13 13,198 10-21-2015, 07:18 AM
Last Post: thimo
  Smiley's Instagib duel videos Smilecythe 11 14,027 11-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Small tutorial videos machine! 3 4,871 09-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Last Post: GoregeousGuy
Wink What a typo can lead to CuBe0wL 9 8,047 09-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: bitbomb
  Can I get NA player to post their ping end user 7 8,439 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: end user
  The best nexuiz videos MDWGUNS 144 138,401 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: PCLizard
  [SOLVED] Where can I find custom files? rocknroll237 1 3,367 09-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Recording HD videos for anyone who needs them. infested999 0 2,491 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Last Post: infested999