Create an account

Poll: What are your views on this motion? (PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I fully support donations and sponsorship, as well as the various other ideas suggested in this post.
63.27%
31 63.27%
I support donations and sponsorship, however I disagree with some specifics which I will describe below.
20.41%
10 20.41%
I am indifferent to donations and sponsorship.
2.04%
1 2.04%
I directly disagree with some or most of the main concepts in this post, and I will describe why below.
6.12%
3 6.12%
I entirely disagree with any motion of donations or sponsorship and will describe why below.
8.16%
4 8.16%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Development Funding and Sponsorship

You don't want to quote everything offensive you wrote, idiotic troll drawings, calling people gays and swearing. but I can start counting from now.
If you ask me: I would not like to have such ugly troll faces on the banners in my maps. Im pretty sure this comes to others as well.

PS: Sorry for offtopic content, I will happily delete it if asked.

I don't think you should delete it, but please take this discussion somewhere else. In private, preferably, since it seems quite personal

(07-19-2013, 12:39 PM)Samual Wrote:
(07-19-2013, 07:25 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Also: get a Flattr button for Xonotic already! ;-)
Flattr will not work for us, we've looked into it (too burnt out to go into details now).. We'll probably be using PayPal.

Of course it wouldn't be enough on it's own, but I don't see why would it hurt to have both (PayPal and Flattr) as donation options.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Why is Flattr not an option while PayPal is?

I don't claim to have researched the subject so this might be FUD (I doubt it), but here's an article from ReadWrite recounting bad experiences with PayPal and donations, dating from October 2011: Diaspora Becomes PayPal's Latest Victim. Here is a Web Archive link that you can use to follow archived links in that post (a lot of them are dead now).

How about using Pledgie? also, is it possible to sell something on ebay? either badges, which would require time and effort posting them out, or some virtual Xonotic thing (not sure exactly what).
More tea please!

(07-22-2013, 02:15 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Why is Flattr not an option while PayPal is?

I don't claim to have researched the subject so this might be FUD (I doubt it), but here's an article from ReadWrite recounting bad experiences with PayPal and donations, dating from October 2011: Diaspora Becomes PayPal's Latest Victim. Here is a Web Archive link that you can use to follow archived links in that post (a lot of them are dead now).

Flattr doesn't support large one time donations any more, so it's only for flat-rate microdonations. This needs a massive scale in order to be profitable, so another more traditional donation provider is probably needed (PayPal or Skrill/Moneybookers are usually used).

I understand this, but I'm for adding Flattr for people that can't give larger donations (like myself), but want to donate at least a bit.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Cyber Killer: I know, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm wondering whether Flattr, which has been found to be problematic, was more discussed than PayPal, which doesn't seem to pose any problems to the team. My point is that we should be cautious with PayPal as well.

Of course I have no idea what the actual problem with Flattr is, or whether PayPal has been discussed.

Sorry if someone came up with this idea:

Give donators the option to decide where their money will be used for, i.e. Creation of a model, prizes for a tournament, etc.

No, exactly that would be losing control of our project. Then a donator could say "that money is only for turning this game into a medieval shooter with lots of death trap mazes".

All we maybe could do is to offer a few "pots" to choose from, but that already can get problematic easily.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Oh yeah I intended to provide certain categories!

something like the humble bundle would be great, where you could split donations up between different categories Smile
More tea please!

I think it's better just to have one donations button and then let the devs decide what to push or not. Community might want something but something else might be better to do with the money since it's harder to do that thing by community contributions.

If everybody spends a small penny, then it probably can get a pretty large amount to let some of the devs work a bit more on there current project or even hire a developer(?).

I don't think I can add much to this except that I dislike the idea with choosing what your money is going to, since it can end up pretty weird. For example what if some people spend a small amount of money on one option lets say weapon models, then they spended those money but it's still not enough to do it then those money are kind of a gray soon thingy. I hope you understand what I'm meaning.

I would buy "swag" for sure. Ads, as long as unobtrusive, I would support. I think there should be some sort of board of maintainers maybe, who handles the money? (The board does not get any money for the job)

Here is my humble opinion:

Sponsorships + ads ingame: Not a very good idea, unless the ads blend nicely in the map, without shoving it in your face (like some badges of the sponsor, that would replace the xonotic logos in maps). I would prefer sponsors that in some way support the ideas behind FOSS. Anyway, be careful with ads in an opensource project. (Just look at how many people raged (R Stallman) about Amazon search results being included in Ubuntu, although it was easy to disable.)

Donations: Way to go. When reading the post, I couldn't believe that there wasn't a 'Donate' button already on the homepage. (I even checked it :p ) So many opensource projects are already doing this without problems. But, perhaps it would be nice for donaters to have some kind of participation in the development. (for example, something like the ubuntu donation thing or KDE eV.) Selling 'swag' is a good idea too.

(08-16-2013, 09:04 AM)Evert@Arch Wrote: Just look at how many people raged (R Stallman) about Amazon search results being included in Ubuntu, although it was easy to disable.

Stallman raged not because they are ads but because:
  • All your local searches you do from your start menu are sent to Canoninal.
  • The option to disable it is buried in System Settings, and I don't think user is properly informed about it at install time (probably a little checkbox, didn't try).
  • And he was already mad at Ubuntu because they let all kinds of proprietary software in and don't even try to inform the users about the concept of proprietary software and why is it bad and at Amazon for their DRM.
I think downloading ads that might be interesting to people who like fast-paced first person shooter games from xonotic.org is fine, the only bad thing that will happen is that xonotic.org will know the IPs of players who play Xonotic with ads enabled. I don't know if Xonotic still checks for new versions, but if it does, the auto-update system tells players' IPs to xonotic.org already.

"Raged" lol.

about the map adds ... could we have a system to make sure they dont clash horribly with the maps environment

like maybe only support adds as a greyscale file (svg?) and then push that through some (inkscape/gimp/imagemagic) filter that makes it match up with a futurey single color holographic computer monitor or something

I dont have the artistic details but just plopping a png in a square on a map wont look good ... especially if the add has a white background and its on a space map

:: note sorry if this was already mentioned ... I didn't read all the comments

Hello.

It's totally decided, but I want to express my opinion. I've voted «I entirely disagree with any motion of donations or sponsorship and will describe why below.» because I always liked how Xonotic was.

For me, the point of view of Xonotic is «a game made without money».

I understand that developers want money for whatever the reason (faster development, whatever).

So well, I know that Xonotic is going to receive money from now, but I wanted to say what I think.

See you Smile
XMPP Conferences
xonotic@conference.jabber.org → General discussion
xonotic@conf.jabberes.org → Spanish-speakers
I pronounce it Shonotic.

SouL, you understand that it costs a lot of money to host websites and servers, right? We're not necessarily talking about donations for profit here, people are investing money in the project and donations could also lessen the cost of that.

I think people forget that it costs a lot of money merely for Xonotic to exist. Server hosting provided by NetGround (merlijn) costs them quite a lot in bandwidth and upkeep every month, plus the cost of several other servers we use... Let alone how much the respective time of each contributor costs or various other costs individuals have to put in (i.e. for software, hardware, whatever).

People need to stop being so ignorant. We've always done sponsorship, that's how it has always worked, it's impossible to do a project like this WITHOUT sponsorship. I just want to facilitate it in a more efficient way, and actually HELP OUT the people who have been helping us all this time anyway.

If you do a kickstarter or something I'll happily donate 30€. But I don't like the idea of ingame billboards. (I think they don't work anyway, in QL most of the time the billboards show the QL logo) I also wouldn't mind playing on the Vagisil Pussy Minstagib Delight server if they pay for it.
[Image: 2405.png]

(09-04-2013, 12:30 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: SouL, you understand that it costs a lot of money to host websites and servers, right? We're not necessarily talking about donations for profit here, people are investing money in the project and donations could also lessen the cost of that.

Of course.
XMPP Conferences
xonotic@conference.jabber.org → General discussion
xonotic@conf.jabberes.org → Spanish-speakers
I pronounce it Shonotic.