Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wii version possible?

just asking that maybe there could be a wii version because i have been playing quake on my wii so i thought maybe since nexuiz and some other games have been quake base i thought it could be ported to wii somehow, i have the quake files that have been ported to wii if anyone wants to look at them,

(05-14-2010, 06:38 PM)jacob Wrote: just asking that maybe there could be a wii version because i have been playing quake on my wii so i thought maybe since nexuiz and some other games have been quake base i thought it could be ported to wii somehow, i have the quake files that have been ported to wii if anyone wants to look at them,

I think it would work.

But I'm not sure how practical it would be, I'm not sure Xonotics licensing would work with the Wiis licensing system. Also I don't think it would be possible to give away free Wii discs. unless you make the players compile and burn the Wii version to a disc manually.

Also Quake (if I'm not mistaken) is not an open-source game, meaning it can be more easily sold to consoles.

On second thought, Nexuiz is being ported to consoles, but since it was sold to Illfonic, I don't think its going to be free for the consoles.

Technicality its possible

License wise its very unlikely (consoles generally require expensive sdk's and dont allow gpl as game license)

Control-wise its proly totally hopeless, just as all other console-fps games ported from pc.

And proly most significant, you are unlikely to find a developer here even remotely interested (specially given the recent Nexuiz-Illfonic drama)

what about instead of discs and licenses, use sd cards and homebrew channel, thats how i play quake and i dont have any problems with the licences and i play it with a gamecube joystick not the wiiremote cause i dont have a nunchuck it broke, would that work using a channel that just plays the game and doesnt check for licenses and stuff?

Hello, and yes; I'm still alive.

(05-14-2010, 09:58 PM)jacob Wrote: what about instead of discs and licenses, use sd cards and homebrew channel, thats how i play quake and i dont have any problems with the licences and i play it with a gamecube joystick not the wiiremote cause i dont have a nunchuck it broke, would that work using a channel that just plays the game and doesnt check for licenses and stuff?

I use Wii homebrew too, and no modchips are required. Softmods only. Smile

Nintendo has made multiple attempts to patch out exploits used to run homebrew in the past, but workarounds are usually developed within hours. It's assumed Nintendo gave up, because they've not released any updates in a while, and their installation is optional anyways.

I can confirm the Quake engine has been ported to Wii homebrew, so anyone can feel free to port Xonotic's engine to Wii, if they want.

See http://www.wiibrew.org for more information and documentation.
My will be done.

It's not possible to use the wiiware channel rather than use the homebrew channel ?

Xonotic has higher hardware requirement than Quake does. They don't use the same engine anymore, DarkPlaces is a little more complicated than the original Quake engine.
This also means that DarkPlaces would have to be ported as well, and it would probably be more complicated. You would need someone who is familiar with DP *and* programming wii homebrew to do such a port, good luck for this.

Also, I tried quake on the wii, and it had already very impractical controls, so I can only imagine what it would feel like with a more fast-paced game.

Khracix: wiiware is for official content, we'd have to buy a SDK and it probably isn't gpl-compatible anyway.

Nintendo's SDK costs 2000 USD, and certainly not GPL compatible.

I understand it would be long and difficult to port DP to wii homebrew, I was just throwing the knowledge out there.

Additionaly, I'll point out that homebrew Wii software can use USB keyboards and mice.
My will be done.

You're talking about a console port of a game that exists because of the controversy created by the console port(s) of its predecessor.

Oh... the irony.

(05-16-2010, 07:47 AM)AnArKiSt Wrote: Additionaly, I'll point out that homebrew Wii software can use USB keyboards and mice.

A PC supports keyboards and mice too Tongue

(05-16-2010, 08:28 AM)parasti Wrote: You're talking about a console port of a game that exists because of the controversy created by the console port(s) of its predecessor.

Oh... the irony.

At least this one could be GPL Tongue
They didn't really port the game in any recent state at least, they just took the idea.

Also yeah agree with MrBougo, this is kinda useless as you can just play it on your pc :p. If you really want to play with the wiimote or w/e, you can just hook that up through bluetooth :p
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(05-16-2010, 09:17 AM)FruitieX Wrote: If you really want to play with the wiimote or w/e, you can just hook that up through bluetooth :p

Yeah, but no aiming unless you mod the engine though Tongue
It'd be much easier and practical to implement though.

I mean, the only imaginable reason any sane person would want this is because they like big screens. So just find a way to hook up your lappy to your tv and get BT keyboards and mice and play away.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Yeah?

What if my PC is still b0rk3n so I'm visiting through the Wii's Opera browser? Sad
I need a photo ID before I can get money for a new one from savings bonds. xD
My will be done.

Well, okay, the only imaginable reason any sane person who has a functioning and able computer would want this is because they like big screens.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

DISCLAIMER: This is all slightly off topic

Mr. Bougo Wrote:Yeah, but no aiming unless you mod the engine though :p

You COULD use the accelerometers for aiming on PC, but that would make it even harder to aim.

If you had the time and REALLY wanted to, you could use the Nunchuck as well as the Wiimote which would provide enough buttons and analogue sticks to make aiming and walking bearable, but that would still be a fair bit of work.

If you want to go down the VR path, check out this. Originally, he used a Wiimote, but moved onto the P*3 Sixaxis controller later. (Oh, and the original thread, C/O -z-)

If anyone gets it working, tell me and I'll go out and buy a bluetooth receiver for my wiimote Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Hi, what's the memory requirement for this? Are you using default quake 1 pak files with darkplaces style texture overrides? And are you using a lot of shadowing lights or just a few per area? I am working on this, though development is quite slow. Currently I am improving alias model bumpmapping and trying to generate portals from the BSP. Another problem is that it is high on memory usage and framerate is a bit slow too. But perhaps it can be used as a base for a possible port. And I would love to see some detailed models anyway...

BTW: if you open the thread you'll find a newer download if you like to try it on your Wii.

DRS: This game has nothing to do with quake aside from that the engine also can be used to run quake1 stuff (so no quake packs). the vram footprint is somewhere around 256-512+ megs depending on settings (can be lowered). the sysram footprint is harder to tell, id guess it to be roughly 500 megs or so (for a good safety margin) under normal circumstances. i dident read the post above to carefully, but it it runs quake1 at 10-30 fps id guess it would run Xonotic in spf (seconds per frame). You would have to do some really major graphics and code reduction to get close to playable fps i think.

(05-31-2010, 07:59 PM)tZork Wrote: DRS: This game has nothing to do with quake aside from that the engine also can be used to run quake1 stuff (so no quake packs). the vram footprint is somewhere around 256-512+ megs depending on settings (can be lowered). the sysram footprint is harder to tell, id guess it to be roughly 500 megs or so (for a good safety margin) under normal circumstances. i dident read the post above to carefully, but it it runs quake1 at 10-30 fps id guess it would run Xonotic in spf (seconds per frame). You would have to do some really major graphics and code reduction to get close to playable fps i think.

tZork, thanks for the insight. That's quite a memory requirement, would be hard to fit that in 74MB of usable memory in WiiBrew stuff. I'd say it's a no go on the Wii based on that. About the framerate, besides from not being optimized that well, I'm using all of Quake's original lights with a radius greater or equal than 200 (which is quake's default) as shadowing lights. I guess that the use of rtlight files or Tenebrae's solution reduces the number of lights more than I currently do. Without shadowing, but keeping realtime diffuse and specular bumpmapping (3-4 lights per surface average) it runs around 80fps.

DRS: Keep in mind thats just rough estimates, and for the pc platform, there are many possible ways to lower it; but maybe not while staying compatible (if thats even an issue). But yes without redoing the art it would be really hard to fit it all into 74 megs (thats the wii limit !? man that harsh). As for the lights, Xonotic dont depend real-time light entities for world lights normally (only used at higher effect/visual presets), it uses light & deluxe maps and vertex lighting.

tZork, Yes, I guess textures could be reduced a little by resampling the textures at 1/4 the res and applying DXT compression (though I haven't been able to get DXT working yet). This should reduce the texture memory requirement 24 times. Normalmaps ofcourse are a bit harder to compress, but they could probably be stored as 2 channel 4bit textures. Another good thing, deluxemaps reduce the amount of required vertexshading (the Wii pushes less than 10M vertices per second for smooth diffuse+specular bumpmapped surfaces and even less (around 6M I guess) when lightattenuation and shadow checks are added). Not using shadow volumes for each light saves a lot of memory since I precalculate the static volumes and increases framerate since the Wii isn't fast in handling vertices in general (tops at about 40M for plain vertices).

The Wii's memory is a bit a weird story; only 52MB of the 64MB DDR can be allocated in homebrew code. Then it has 24MB of sram left for GPU write access, framebuffers and the main code (that's 76MB, sorry for the mistake).

So perhaps I'll give it a try after this summer. But I'll have a look at the code first.

How would player rotation be handled? Let's say I want to turn around... wouldn't I wind up looking at my couch instead of my TV?

(06-09-2010, 10:18 AM)Roanoke Wrote: How would player rotation be handled? Let's say I want to turn around... wouldn't I wind up looking at my couch instead of my TV?

No. In Wii FPS, you point your wiimote to the edges of the screen to look there. There are also sensitivity options which adjusts how far to the sides you must point to turn.

It seems awkward on paper, but is a very capable control scheme used in the Metroid Prime series, Red Steel (2), etc.
My will be done.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [HUD] Luma Focused - Version 1.1! MichaHil 2 491 Yesterday, 01:21 PM
Last Post: dumpsterlid
  [SOLVED] xonotic nouvelle version helloitsme 8 6,684 02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  UT Style Translocator, is it possible? kojn^ 13 11,684 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Sir Emeth Mimetes