Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Xonotic on Android

O my!

Will this work on an HTC Wildfire? Big Grin
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(10-10-2013, 03:54 AM)unfa Wrote: Will this work on an HTC Wildfire? Big Grin

Possibly, but I expect not too well, if at all. These other devices we are talking about have separate GPUs and the CPU on the Wildfire is ~half the speed.

CPU: 528 MHz ARMv6

The "Wildfire S," might have more of a chance [1] but I wouldn't expect any miracles.

The next round of quad-core Android tablets coming to market should be great candidates as far as processing goes. I'm no hardware or low-level software expert, but I believe that the performance of the games will increase with the number of cores. The game is not multi-threaded, but my logic is that at least it can have a more "dedicated core" coupled with a more powerful GPU.

Another poster will have to clarify this.

The good news is, if it doesn't work on your phone, you'll probably be able to pick up a ~$40-80 tablet that will play it in the next few months. Big Grin

Well, I wouldn't count number of cores ~ GPU power ;-)
Take a look at for example one of the first powerful (at that time) cheam SoC used in cheapest tablets - AllWinner A10/A13 - single core up to 1GHz (or in some devices overclocked to 1.2 or even 1.5GHz) ARM7, also with Mali 400 (or 400 MP) GPU.
I have bought one such device for my daugher (almost 2 years ago) - it's still working fine. It's not as good in multitasking as current 2 or 4-core devices, but games still work on it as good as on better devices.
But you're right that even currently cheapest SoCs are getting better and better - both CPUs and GPUs.

Btw. I don't have the problem with overwritten whole config.cfg each time.
But I'm getting strange issue with restore of some graphic settings at each run - like for example enabled reflections, which I'm disabling.

Edit:
I haven't even thought that playing Xonotic using tablet touchscreen could be fun, too :-)

regarding # of cores, I was saying maybe 1 thread could be more dedicated to the game, so yay!

xeros, next step, tap into the gryo Smile lean the screen to move the dude! haha

I'll probably get my hands on one of those babies in a few days:
http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/p...5235611947
And I can't wait to try Xonotic on it Wink

For playing local games, launching a dedicated and a client and connect to localhost would likely give you a significant performance boost on multicore devices (as long as there's enough ram for it).

poVoq, nice hardware :-)
but haven't you consider ODROID-XU? Octa-core Cortex A15 & A7 together with more powerful GPU, USB 3.0, etc... for not so much bigger price.

tZork, thanks for advice.
Yes, it should bring performance boost, but Xonotic needs much RAM as for such devices and NAND flash or SD card performance is bottleneck, too - highly visible when two or more processes making I/O operations at once.

At some point in this process we should figure out minimal requirements. Not a priority but it can help situate the guessing game, "will this work on my device?"

Do we have an automated way to get benchmarks for this, or can we create one?

Very exciting stuff.

Server does generally use less IO and memory then the client, but yeh i can see this sort of hardware having trouble with the overhead nonetheless. There's also a option to allow the server part to run in its own thread for local games; you do need to compile with it specifically enabled AND turn on some cvar (can't remember the name of the option/cvar arm =/ )- so its likely rather experimental. Still could be worth a look if you're die hard abt squeezing max performance outa it Tongue

(10-12-2013, 11:45 AM)xeros Wrote: poVoq, nice hardware :-)
but haven't you consider ODROID-XU? Octa-core Cortex A15 & A7 together with more powerful GPU, USB 3.0, etc... for not so much bigger price.

Naa, I actually need it for an embedded server project, thus the GPU doesn't matter and I need a more stable platform to run Ubuntu on (instead of Android), so the XU isn't really a better choice.

About the general Android system specs. Due to the vast number of different ARM CPUs available I don't think we can really come up with something there, but I guess a minimum GPU (Mali400?) and RAM (1gb?) can be stated.

(10-13-2013, 07:35 AM)poVoq Wrote: I guess a minimum GPU (Mali400?) and RAM (1gb?) can be stated.

Based on the performance t've had on the devices I've tested with, I'd say this is a fair "floor" to guesstimate.

Can we have Damn Small Xonotic for Android?
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...9#pid63159
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I hit ~40fps on an Atrix 4G (Tegra2 platform - 1GHz dual Cortex A9, 1GB RAM, 300MHz ULP GeForce GPU, 960x540 resolution) with really low settings. On lower resolution devices the floor probably becomes a bit smaller.
[+] MaKR [smooth+o]

(10-13-2013, 09:27 PM)MaKR Wrote: I hit ~40fps on an Atrix 4G (Tegra2 platform - 1GHz dual Cortex A9, 1GB RAM, 300MHz ULP GeForce GPU, 960x540 resolution) with really low settings. On lower resolution devices the floor probably becomes a bit smaller.

I guess playing it on a 320x240 screen of HTC Wildfire wouldn't be easy Wink
But also rendering this resolution woudln't be hard on the hardware.

(10-13-2013, 05:48 PM)unfa Wrote: Can we have Damn Small Xonotic for Android?
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...9#pid63159
It might be a better starting point but won't necessarily be the same. While it won't do that much for performance as you are already running really low settings it will allow a much smaller package which for handheld devices with small drives will be more suitable.

Realistically if an Android release was ever to be packaged up by anyone you'd want to be making many changes to things like configuration anyway but DSX would be the best starting point I think.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(10-14-2013, 05:02 AM)edh Wrote: Realistically if an Android release was ever to be packaged up by anyone you'd want to be making many changes to things like configuration anyway but DSX would be the best starting point I think.

The game would need a whole new system of controlling the character.
And the touchscreen latency could make it unplayable against PC players.
I don't know about the latency of accelerometer/compass sensors - maybe they would be a better thing to use for aiming?

(10-14-2013, 04:45 AM)unfa Wrote:
(10-13-2013, 09:27 PM)MaKR Wrote: I hit ~40fps on an Atrix 4G (Tegra2 platform - 1GHz dual Cortex A9, 1GB RAM, 300MHz ULP GeForce GPU, 960x540 resolution) with really low settings. On lower resolution devices the floor probably becomes a bit smaller.

I guess playing it on a 320x240 screen of HTC Wildfire wouldn't be easy Wink
But also rendering this resolution woudln't be hard on the hardware.

Again, without the dedicated GPU and only a single thread. I don't think resolution is the bottleneck to be focused on. How well does a native 3d game such as "Temple Run" even play? Is it even available for this device?

Just picked up the Quantum G-Tab... A31 Quad Core 1.5GHz CPU + Mali400 High Performance 3D Gaming GPU with 1gb DDR3 RAM.

Can't wait to test the game on this bad boy!

It is playing really well on Android. See my youtube videos running CTS and orchestra. Thank you for the amazing effort in Xonotic community.

CTS

Bot orchestra

I confirm this is working

I got low fps in my tablet and some map crashes

Just tested in an ainol spark Quadcore 1.0GHz
[Image: 9074.png]

Sad 
I tried this with 0.8, and all I get is a black screen. I didn't get black screen with 0.7, but since most of the decent servers updated to 0.8, most of the maps look broken. Help?
(update) I could get to the console with ` Guess it's not all black screen. also gui seems to appear for a short second, then turns black.
Partially rooted Motorola Droid Turbo. Got 30-40 fps on low without dynamic lighting (0.7)
[Image: 29025.png]

Same issue here Huh

How to enable the on screen keyboard? perhaps we can at least load a map and see how it affects the gui.

Sad 
Same Problem..... Q14A Xontic 0.8 onePlus one

if you download Hakers Keyboard u can enable the notification option.... then you can open everywhere* but xonotic is still dead... i hear sounds and thingy but only a black screen with onscreen ctrl

*(cheating on openarena )Wink

Hi, i took a log file of the non-working xonotic 0.8 using the method mentioned in this thread

http://pastebin.com/2XmWWidp

Two chunks of log are repeating endlessly:

Code:
Attempted division by zero in menu
s15619: STORE_V    GLOBAL9871, GLOBAL7
s15620: STORE_V    GLOBAL9874, GLOBAL10
s15621: STORE_V    GLOBAL9877, GLOBAL13
s15622: STORE_V    GLOBAL9880, GLOBAL16
s15623: ^3CALL5      GLOBAL9883
s15624: ^1ADDRESS    GLOBAL9870, realFontSize_y (=3.20897348e-43), GLOBAL9852
s15625: ^6FIELD_F    GLOBAL9870, .fontSize (=.fontSize), GLOBAL9853
s15626: DIV        GLOBAL9853, GLOBAL9881, GLOBAL9853
item/label.c : Label_resizeNotify : statement 10
item/container.c : Container_resizeNotifyLie : statement 25
item/container.c : Container_resizeNotify : statement 9
item/inputcontainer.c : InputContainer_resizeNotify : statement 7
item/modalcontroller.c : ModalController_resizeNotify : statement 9
     menu.qc : UpdateConWidthHeight : statement 53
     menu.qc : m_draw : statement 14

and

Code:
Attempted division by zero in menu
s15623: ^3CALL5      GLOBAL9883
s15624: ^1ADDRESS    GLOBAL9870, realFontSize_y (=3.20897348e-43), GLOBAL9852
s15625: ^6FIELD_F    GLOBAL9870, .fontSize (=.fontSize), GLOBAL9853
s15626: DIV        GLOBAL9853, GLOBAL9881, GLOBAL9853
s15627: ^1STOREP_F   GLOBAL9853, GLOBAL9852
s15628: ^1ADDRESS    GLOBAL9870, .realFontSize (=.realFontSize), GLOBAL9852
s15629: ^6FIELD_F    GLOBAL9870, .fontSize (=.fontSize), GLOBAL9853
s15630: DIV        GLOBAL9853, GLOBAL9880, GLOBAL9853
item/label.c : Label_resizeNotify : statement 14
item/button.c : Button_resizeNotify : statement 11
item/nexposee.c : Nexposee_resizeNotify : statement 12
     menu.qc : UpdateConWidthHeight : statement 53
     menu.qc : m_draw : statement 14

It generated 14 MBytes of log.

So... you can't divide by zero, at least in this universe, devs can you do something?

Starting darkplaces with -demo and playing a demo show something like this:

[Image: cy395gnzZ9s6tR8R4k5h5-Izt8X7VMQZ6HH-D7XM...w1886-h810]

( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5eNkbS...p2OWs/view )
It doesn't want to connect to servers, for reasons...

Other logs:

Starting with "darkplaces.arm -xonotic -basedir /sdcard/Download/ -condebug"

http://pastebin.com/i10rJ3fy

The only thing that can be seen is a giant "62 fps" on the corner of the screen

Starting with "darkplaces.arm -xonotic -basedir /sdcard/Download/ -condebug +connect 31.186.251.56:26000"

http://pastebin.com/95wCS0uK

It does not connect, obviously

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone tried Xonotic on a high performance android? poVoq 1 4,074 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SouL