Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Logo Refinement, Addressing Technical Issues, Inspiring Others

[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Oh my goodness, what a mess I've made back then! Blush I'd like to offer a very belated apology to everyone, especially to Sev and Roanoke. One learns and matures with time, and wild passion is eventually tamed with reason and experience.

Also, I apologize for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I felt it might be appropriate to share the source, at last, to the alternative version of the game icon to do with as you please (and distribute with whatever rights is appropriate) for this community project. If unanimously liked, perhaps someone can convert or recreate it into an SVG for in-game use?

I wish you all the best with development and progress -- and in life and family.

Attached Files
.zip   xonotic-icon.zip (Size: 1.12 MB / Downloads: 16)

Not bad at all mate, but the thin layer of white that covers the top half doesn't look very good.

Also, the Phoenix should be slightly darker (so that the background behind it is less visible).

Is that a crumpled paper texture you're using for the background?

bokiseles, your self-criticism is greatly appreciated! Thank you for this Smile

rocknroll237 Wrote:Not bad at all mate, but the thin layer of white that covers the top half doesn't look very good.

Thanks mate. It's a reflection that gives it the 'glassy' feel, but it can be turned off.

rocknroll237 Wrote:Is that a crumpled paper texture you're using for the background?

Yes it is, although it kind of feels like fire (hot ashes), doesn't it? Smile

Mr. Bougo Wrote:bokiseles, your self-criticism is greatly appreciated! Thank you for this Smile

You're perfectly welcome. I hope I never ever make a scene like that again. Angel Please shoot me if I do. Confused

Regarding the overall composition of the full logo, two years later I still don't think the icon sticks out too much from the rest. In fact, I think it brings to front the text and logo, and helps to distinguish it from the neatly decorative background (the wings). It also seems to 'fix' the sunken Phoenix head design issue.

From a phonetic/readability perspective, I think it helps to distinguish the second 'O'.

And one thing seems certain, it definitely makes a more prominent appearance as an icon on the desktop.

Not to self-promote, I just think it fills a gap in the current structure of the excellent design you have with the logo so far. It makes a good badge for it.

Different thoughts and views are encouraged of course. This is everyone's baby after all.

Quote: This is everyone's baby after all.

that pretty-muxh sums up all of the arguments around here

Quote:From a phonetic/readability perspective, I think it helps to distinguish the second 'O'.

Hmmm, that's a good point. Looking at the one at the top of the forum, a noob might think the game is called 'Xontic'!

Can you show us your version of the 'Xonotic' title using your logo?

(09-21-2012, 09:34 PM)bokiseles Wrote:
rocknroll237 Wrote:Is that a crumpled paper texture you're using for the background?
Yes it is, although it kind of feels like fire (hot ashes), doesn't it? Smile

not at all IMO.

(09-22-2012, 05:49 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Can you show us your version of the 'Xonotic' title using your logo?

Sure thing:

.png   xonotic.png (Size: 90.56 KB / Downloads: 229)

The light shade on the top half of the O is too sharp and not subtle enough I think. And the O stands out way too much compared to the rest IMHO.

I agree with Mr B. Apart from that, it looks very nice!

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, can you scale the Phoenix logo down just a little. I want to get an idea of what it looks like when it's smaller.

(09-22-2012, 08:16 PM)bokiseles Wrote:
(09-22-2012, 05:49 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Can you show us your version of the 'Xonotic' title using your logo?

Sure thing:

Looks worse than the current one IMO, feels out of place.

I think it has the potential to be better, it just needs refinement. If it doesn't replace it, it could be a secondary logo instead.

"secondary logo"

wat

also i think our iconography needs refinement, not the logo it's self.

I thought the logo would be finished... so why creating a new one? Especially while the current one looks so damn awesome!

Quote:"secondary logo"

wat

Is what I meant is that the main logo (primary logo) is used on the website and forum but there could be another logo (secondary logo) that can be used in maps or on Youtube videos, etc.

I think the new logo has the potential to be better, but it just needs a bit of tweaking. It just seems more vibrant and more exciting.

Quote:I thought the logo would be finished... so why creating a new one? Especially while the current one looks so damn awesome!

Yes, but there's no harm with experimenting with new ideas. The new logo might turn out to be better than the old one.

no.

Rocknroll, you can't using your branding materials like that. Inconsistency across media is not a good thing.

Well in that case, I'd like too see the new logo (with tweaks) replace the current one.

Maybe Antibody could put it at the top of the forums for a few hours just as test? Making a poll about this might be a good idea too.

(09-23-2012, 06:26 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: I agree with Mr B. Apart from that, it looks very nice!

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, can you scale the Phoenix logo down just a little. I want to get an idea of what it looks like when it's smaller.

I don't have the sources for the original (my Illustrator can't handle the SVG file properly), so I apologize for the black ring around the logo in these test images.

Here it is in a smaller size.

With a reduced reflection:

Without a reflection:

Bottom one looks lovely! Great job.

The old one looks so dull compared to this. Smile

Sorry but I can´t agree. This one hasn´t any consistent style.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion... Don't be sorry. Tongue

(09-30-2012, 08:22 PM)bokiseles Wrote: Here it is in a smaller size.

To me this looks much worse than the original because the wings come out of nowhere. In the current version the blue O is part of the wing and i think that effect really holds the logo together nicley.

S1lencer:

Quote:I apologize for the black ring around the logo in these test images.

Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warpzone issues / troubleshooting Notavi 9 5,154 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Mario
Question Issues with deformVertexes autosprite2 and alphashadow kristus 7 6,044 06-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Last Post: kristus
  Shader Issues With Q3A Texture Replacement Packs Orbiter Sunblast 2 5,182 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  New Playermodel; need some technical help poVoq 16 23,441 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
Bug [SOLVED] Red Cross logo is copyrighted. Harmata 46 56,028 07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Frustrating graphical issues with Netradiant, issues with textures not appearing Chromatose 16 18,928 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Netradiant issues clanclanclan 3 6,049 10-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Last Post: clanclanclan
  Xonotic logo EPS anyone? kay 0 3,252 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Last Post: kay