Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Better Singleplayer AND A better pause system

Exclamation 
Better Singleplayer
  • Allow to customize a match (much like the server creation)
  • Allow for esc to pause
  • Have a story mode
That is all for now
Now what is the use of having the ability to create a custom game in singleplayer when you can already do it in multiplayer?
-Pausing
-And newbies won't look under Multiplayer if they want Singleplayer
-We can have special matchs just like we have now (insta shot with grapple and mutator guns etc.)

Having esc to pause will be a lifesaver

And just like Quake, A simple story line wouldn't hurt Smile

Better Pausing
I have gone over the pausing feature above no let me explain.
  • Pressing esc will lead to an alternate screen.
  • A semi transparent overlay will be placed over it. Sort of like Quake. It should be pulled from the Console background
  • It won't pause in multiplayer even if you are hosting. But the alternate menu will appear with the same overlay

I don't know what the screen should look like for sure. But it should have more useful options without the current menu UI. Should be more basic selection like most games. It will be like Quake.

I can't find any images of what the pause screen is like in Quake but it has a cool overlay/effect almost looks like a TV screen. I see the console has a similar background (just animated) so I think this should be but here.

And the last is self explanatory.

Second point: make a feature request, it seems like a good idea.

Third point: read the forums. There are tons of discussions about this, and none of them resulted in anyone volunteering to write code. It's not easy and we need help.

As for the first point, "custom games" would still run a server. It would work exactly the same way as the "create" tab, so there's no point in making another menu for it. Games are made pausable by setting the "pausable" cvar to 1.

The "create" tab lets you pick mutators too.

I understand that there is some confusion between "singleplayer" and "multiplayer" indeed... I don't know what to do about that.

How about a button in the singleplayer menu labeled as 'botmatch' or other 'instant action', then a 'create game' menu with allowed players =1 explicitly set and not registering on the server browser. Leave other creation options open to the player.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

What about LAN games though? The "create" tab is pretty much made for this.

I could imagine having an "instant action" button and, next to that, a "customize" button that would open the customize tab (making it obvious that it's accessing a different tab, perhaps through menu animation).

I'm thinking the feature request here is for something similar to what UT2k4 had - instant action menu and multiplayer create menu, both opened nearly the same server setup screens, but the first one had the network settings stripped, allowing only for playing with bots.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(07-21-2013, 03:08 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Second point: make a feature request, it seems like a good idea.
The pausing one? If so didn't I just make a feature request?
Quote:Third point: read the forums. There are tons of discussions about this, and none of them resulted in anyone volunteering to write code. It's not easy and we need help.
If this is the story one?
Then IDK how hard it would be even to add some sort of Runes to go after.
Quote:
Quote:As for the first point, "custom games" would still run a server. It would work exactly the same way as the "create" tab, so there's no point in making another menu for it. Games are made pausable by setting the "pausable" cvar to 1.
At the moment I type "pause" into the console
Quote:The "create" tab lets you pick mutators too.
And I just noticed that, But didn't know what it did.
Quote:I understand that there is some confusion between "singleplayer" and "multiplayer" indeed... I don't know what to do about that.
Might have to redesign the whole structure of the menus

(07-24-2013, 06:33 AM)satuim Wrote:
(07-21-2013, 03:08 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Second point: make a feature request, it seems like a good idea.
The pausing one? If so didn't I just make a feature request?

Nope, it's impossible to keep track of feature requests on a forum. That's why we have a dev website. http://dev.xonotic.org/

(07-24-2013, 06:33 AM)satuim Wrote: At the moment I type "pause" into the console
You can bind a key to that. See "user defined" binds in the menu, or the "bind" console command. And my point was that you can make the game pausable by setting the "pausable" cvar to 1. If it's set to 0, you can not use the "pause" command to pause the game.

Well I think you need to define the options better,

Multiplayer
Lan
Options

Also I think the exit button needs revamping just my opinion.

LAN is multiplayer. And where do you put singleplayer in all that?

Everything needs revamping at one point, it's the reasons and solutions that matter. Why does the exit button need revamping and how do you think it could be made better?

(07-25-2013, 02:36 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: LAN is multiplayer. And where do you put singleplayer in all that?

Everything needs revamping at one point, it's the reasons and solutions that matter. Why does the exit button need revamping and how do you think it could be made better?
I personally like how the options are smaller versions of the windows. So I would keep that.
Maybe a smaller picture of the OS depending on what you are using.
Windows looks basically the same and has been for 20 years. Linux is very different. Mac has been the same for 10 years

Bump Smile
I have some new information about pausing

What new information is that?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

satuim means the first post has been updated. Took me some time too, but it's indicated in the date line of the post.

Yep a month later I decide the say what I really think the pausing should be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic system requirements needed RaptorFX 50 78,757 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  [SUGGESTION] Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be Lee_Stricklin 7 6,748 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Matchmaking system? machine! 14 13,509 09-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] A small addition to the spawn system Dodge 25 23,818 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Community Design Workshop: singleplayer weapons tutorial s1lence 4 7,582 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Priority - Better documentation? Faraday 12 9,617 06-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Last Post: satuim
  [SUGGESTION] Singleplayer ideas thread ThePWTULN 13 18,429 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] XP system for stats cccxd 10 10,313 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] extended gravity system hutty 19 18,825 04-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] some kind of system to schedule matches/meetups jammo 5 6,594 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Last Post: lda17h