Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Sorting forum members by reputation?

Hey!

Maybe it would be nice to see who has the highest/lowest reputation out here?

http://forums.xonotic.org/memberlist.php

(btw: I think the reputation system is a great thing)
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

MrBougo wins!

I personally dislike it. I would be in favor of removing it, even. Or at least getting rid of the totals. As far as I can tell, that has not been an incentive for anything. I like to see what types of posts people appreciate (be it from me or others), but I can't see a point in showing off totals, and even more so at making a popularity contest out of it.

But if you really wanted to know, next are Mirio, Antibody and chooksta.

EDIT: Negative reputation is often more interesting, also. Our lowest is this iteration of mikeeusa: http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...e&uid=3158

(10-10-2013, 01:12 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I like to see what types of posts people appreciate
There was the star ranking system for topics but that went away by popular request because it seemed to be easily skewed or accidentally clicked. Even the topic when it was removed was rated 5 stars!
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3011

(10-10-2013, 01:12 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: Negative reputation is often more interesting, also. Our lowest is this iteration of mikeeusa: http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...e&uid=3158
Oh, my close personal friend and well known defender of women's rights, MikeeUSA (AKA sodding well everything else)! RuckaruckaAli was one of his more left field attempts at getting down with the homies in the Xonotic hood. It was totally wack. For shizzle.

I like reputation. If you don't like it MrBougo then I'm sure we can take some points away from you. Tongue
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(10-10-2013, 01:12 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I personally dislike it. I would be in favor of removing it, even. Or at least getting rid of the totals. As far as I can tell, that has not been an incentive for anything. I like to see what types of posts people appreciate (be it from me or others), but I can't see a point in showing off totals, and even more so at making a popularity contest out of it.

But if you really wanted to know, next are Mirio, Antibody and chooksta.

EDIT: Negative reputation is often more interesting, also. Our lowest is this iteration of mikeeusa: http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...e&uid=3158

This is actually all I wanted to know - thank you!

I think that displaying total reputation can lead to some "I'm better than you!" attitude, but it also can motivate people to behave well and be creative Smile

I've never seen anyone say:
I have better reputation, so shut up
but I've seen myself thinking:
what good I can make so people would give me a +1?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Quote:I've never seen anyone say:
I have better reputation, so shut up
Welcome to the Internet, it's good to see that you've found this forum on your first day.

"My post count is bigger than yours, i've joined this forum earlier, my karma/reputation/discipline is bigger than yours, i'm a moderator/donator/admin so shut up, look at that post count he's obviously a troll", these are all common situations on forums, so common, that they've become one of the reasons why 4chan and other anonymous services are so big now. Whole multi-page threads could be composed of such things. That's the problem of forums, after some time they become centered around themselves, and not around discussion or communication. Oh, and mods turn them into their personal playgrounds, and start using those mute/remove post/ban buttons as arguments.
Quote:but I've seen myself thinking:
what good I can make so people would give me a +1?
Why would you care about that +1 anyway? What's it for you? And if you care that much about a + or -1, why wouldn't someone with a +100 reputation despise (or pretend to despise to win in an argument) someone with only a +1? You can't have selective parts of the system, only the whole system. If +1 is good, +2 is better. You can't sort members if they all are equal, ya know what i mean.

Face it brah, the only reason you want more rating system features is because you want to have some entertainment.

OP status:
[]Told
[]Not told
[x]Toldasaurus Rex

OP's anal cavity status:
[]Intact
[]Damaged
[x]Ravaged and desecrated

Quote:As far as I can tell, that has not been an incentive for anything.
That's pretty much shows that people mostly don't care about the rating system, unless they went full "i give you +1, you give me +1, because we are both such swell guys". You know, i'm talking about all those "I gave you a plus because you seem okay" votes here. Smile

(11-09-2013, 07:56 PM)Harmata Wrote: Welcome to the Internet, it's good to see that you've found this forum on your first day.

"My post count is bigger than yours, i've joined this forum earlier, my karma/reputation/discipline is bigger than yours, i'm a moderator/donator/admin so shut up, look at that post count he's obviously a troll", these are all common situations on forums, so common, that they've become one of the reasons why 4chan and other anonymous services are so big now. Whole multi-page threads could be composed of such things. That's the problem of forums, after some time they become centered around themselves, and not around discussion or communication. Oh, and mods turn them into their personal playgrounds, and start using those mute/remove post/ban buttons as arguments.

I wouldn't let this happen. If they become a problem, rankings or even the display of post counts can be disabled. We can substitute that for a couple of reasonably easily reachable post count thresholds to distinguish seasoned members from new users.

And don't tell me anonymous services are a better platform for serious discussion and driving open projects.

Quote:And don't tell me anonymous services are a better platform for serious discussion and driving open projects.
That depends on the project. Something like Xonotic wouldn't work, but a map for Xonotic would work out. Various 4chan boards for example make 4chan related levels for video games, or image editing and modeling community projects.

What do you mean by "level"?

I think by level he means map. I can't see anonymous posting services really being any help for development at all and if you need to give credits and have properly licenced releases that obey the GPL then anonymous posting won't help you keep these matters under control. If you're afraid of posting something stupid or something that's illegal or something that's offensive, don't post it. That means that the rest of the Internet doesn't have to read about it and can instead concentrate on something useful.

If people do start boasting how big their post count is, does that really matter? No. In my view it shows they're insecure about things and let's consider just how bad their real life must be that they have to spend all of their time on the Internet...

Quote:I think by level he means map.
For Xonotic, yes, i'm gonna fix that.
Quote:and if you need to give credits
And often the question of credits simply doesn't arise. "Here's a fun project - and that's it".

(11-10-2013, 09:07 PM)Harmata Wrote: And often the question of credits simply doesn't arise. "Here's a fun project - and that's it".
I think for many artists the lack of credit would be a problem. I also quite like knowing who made a map as it is often an indicator of map quality. A known person who has produced other good maps is going to be a better sign for many players.

Also if there is no way of tracking licencing if there is no author listed. If someone wants to make a complaint about copyrighting, who do they make it to?

There is nothing stopping people from anonymously posting Xonotic maps elsewhere if that is what they would like to do...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] Forum software swallows newlines ballerburg9005 3 1,826 11-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] New Forum Section: Servers Antares* 1 1,788 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [BUG] No proper Unicode handling in forum Lyberta 1 2,250 08-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: hotdog
  [SUGGESTION] Discourse Forum PetaByteBoy 9 8,243 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  [SUGGESTION] Team-members grouping improvement MathCubes 5 6,046 09-13-2015, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] a sub-forum for user and game server admin communication BuddyFriendGuy 6 5,408 09-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Forum password reset security MrDetonia 1 3,075 03-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information [SUGGESTION] Idea: Forum cleanup? Samual 14 18,473 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] WOULD LIKE A CTS VID SECTION IN FORUM chooksta 7 6,372 11-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  [SUGGESTION] Forum section: International Exitium 16 16,250 09-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Last Post: RaptorFX