Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Stopped working after Kernel upgrade

Today I upgraded my Linux Kernel from 3.4 to 3.10 and Xonotic will no longer load Undecided
Is there anything I can do to fix it without reverting back to the old Kernel ?

Can you try to give more details?

What distro?

How exactly does it fail to load? Can you try launching from terminal?

Linux Mint 14

Previously I clicked on a file called 'xonotic-linux-sdl.sh' in the 'Xonotic' folder to start it up but now it seems to be inactive.

I don't know how to start it from Terminal

It's not only this game that has stopped working, I can no longer play any of my Linux games (Assault Cube, Nexuiz, Open Arena etc).

Most obvious thing I can think of is that your graphics driver is not working properly with this kernel. Maybe it has fallen back into some driver that does not offer 3D acceleration?

What graphics card do you have? What graphics driver do you use?

Is there anyway you can switch back to the older kernel? Why do you need the newer kernel anyway? There is often a problem with updating things that don't need updating and you then find everything broken - this is how it used to be when I used Gentoo! I can only offer general advice but if we can not resolve it then maybe look to your distributions support forums for help.

To start the game from the terminal, open a terminal emulator/command line and change to the Xonotic directory, then run 'sh xonotic-linux-sdl.sh and see what it prints out.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Sapphire Radeon 7750 HD Ultimate with Catalyst drivers. There is definitely a driver issue because a few things are not working as they should. I just tried to open the Catalyst Control Centre to check the version number (I think there is only one version anyway) but it refuses to open. I'll go down that path when I have more time this weekend Sad

The reason I upgraded the Kernel was to get my new soundcard to work, a patch was applied to Kernel 3.7 to enable the use of Xonar DSX cards, the on board ALC887 chip was really annoying me and now that I have used a Xonar DSX, I am not going back to the on board sound, so I will have to make everything work alongside it or install a newer distro.

Did you upgrade anything else beside the kernel? In Ubuntu I have/had the problem that I needed to downgrade the libjpeg8-dev to libjpeg62-dev, but Xonotic tells you if you run it from console that the libjpeg version is wrong.

Edit: oh, re-read your post - if you upgrade your kernel, you will have to upgrade proprietary graphics drivers and possibly some other software as well, as the graphics drivers are usually compiled for a specific kernel. So you should be able to just reinstall the fglrx drivers and fglrx-amdcccle for the control center.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

It was a simple fix, I found a file called "amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13 1.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run"in the folder where I saved the Catalyst drivers. So I clicked it and it opened a tiny Terminal, I entered my password, rebooted and all is well again !

Nvidia may have a slight edge in performance but Catalyst makes things very simple to fix when things go wrong.

(09-27-2013, 08:08 AM)Indigo340 Wrote: It was a simple fix, I found a file called "amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13 1.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run"in the folder where I saved the Catalyst drivers. So I clicked it and it opened a tiny Terminal, I entered my password, rebooted and all is well again !
You reinstalled your drivers then. When the propreitary driver gets installed it builds it's module against the kernel that it installed. Change the kernel and you need to rebuild the ATI driver.

(09-27-2013, 08:08 AM)Indigo340 Wrote: Nvidia may have a slight edge in performance but Catalyst makes things very simple to fix when things go wrong.
Exactly the same process would apply with an NVIDIA driver actually. I would also say that the NVIDIA driver is far less likely to go wrong so I would not agree here.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

OK, I will take your word on that, I probably just didn't look hard enough when I was using an Nvidia card or now that I am more experienced, I have a better idea what to look for.

I'm not familiar with how Mint manages your drivers, but now that you know the solution, I just want to point out a thing:
It's good you came up with the solution by yourself, because this is a must for using Linux distros, especially for mint, which inherited the userfriendliness of Ubuntu, and the hackability of the allmighty Debian Wink Sometimes if you use the bleeding edge you run on problems that needs fixing, and you have to do it all by yourself, by actually using your BRAIN. Congratulations, this is a rare deed nowadays Smile
Now, to save you from further frustrations on kernel upgrades and proprietary video drivers:

1st rule of thumb: you only upgrade the kernel if it's a MUST. If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it! (Your case now was a must, so you were right on that).
2nd: If you upgrade the kernel, you always have to rebuild the proprietary drivers, because those are not part of the kernel package by default. You don't have to compile it from source, some ditros ship them as precompile binary packages, but then you have to install the right package for the right kernel.
3rd: to save you from this manual work nonsense, you might try to use DKMS. If you don't know what that is, google it! I'm no sure if mint supports it, but on Debian it helps a lot (if it works, haha).
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Thanks for that CuBeOwL,
One of the reasons I switched to Linux is because I like to use my brain for thinking out solutions to problems but I am still getting to grips with the language of Linux and would love it if I could find a distro which takes away some of the trial-and-error. I'll check out DKMS (if it works ha !).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why ClanArena ends after round 6 despite server setting to infinite? zwz 2 1,889 08-11-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: zwz
  [NEED HELP] Models, items, and sky black after 0.8.5 update htsm92 0 661 08-15-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: htsm92
  [NEED HELP] Spacebar not working on Erbium Deathmatch. Pallama 2 2,314 09-24-2019, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Pallama
Exclamation [BUG] *ubuntu 18.04/nVidia v415-Desktop Screen Corruption After Exiting Game? JeZxLee 1 3,079 01-06-2019, 05:15 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic reverts to Stereo sound after having set it to 5.1 STP_KITT 0 1,859 11-27-2018, 05:35 PM
Last Post: STP_KITT
  [SOLVED] Menu fails to load after recent update Bloodthorn 2 2,726 09-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SOLVED] Cannot run game anymore after new git update Bloodthorn 2 2,778 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [BUG] Fkeys F-keys F keys not working Mac OS Sierra 0.8.22 Space Ace 8 4,170 10-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Space Ace
  [NEEDS INFO] W key are not working in fedora24 linux akillah 2 3,328 03-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [SOLVED] Motion blur not working? Beagle 0 2,186 01-25-2016, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Beagle