Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi-Core support?

My laptop has an Intel i7.
Is there any way to modify how many cores Xonotic uses?

(10-08-2013, 01:58 AM)Leroy Wrote: My laptop has an Intel i7.
Is there any way to modify how many cores Xonotic uses?

Seriously, the Darkplaces engine doesn't support multiple cores, and it's not that easy to implement that feature. But with an i7, you shouldn't run into any problems with Xonotic?!
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Using the -sdl executable will offload the sound related stuff to another core but that's abt it. Or use the software render... but i don't think that's the "solution" your looking for Wink Finally, just for completeness, if your running local bot-matches you can speed it up up launching a dedicated server then launch the client and connect to 127.0.0.1.

As zykure say tough, one i7 core should be be quite sufficient to run the game under most circumstances.

(10-10-2013, 06:19 AM)tZork Wrote: Finally, just for completeness, if your running local bot-matches you can speed it up up launching a dedicated server then launch the client and connect to 127.0.0.1.

That's an interesting hack, never thought about that.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

In addition to the SDL sound offloading onto a second core and the potential for a dedicated server - client pairing, there can be a substantial amount of load at times on a system in the background and caused by the game. Graphics drivers nowadays are pretty multithreaded and you will find them putting a bit of load on other cores. 2 cores is definitely faster than 1 for Xonotic but beyond that it's unlikely.
(10-10-2013, 06:19 AM)tZork Wrote: As zykure say tough, one i7 core should be be quite sufficient to run the game under most circumstances.
A specific point on the current Haswell based Core i7: It's a waste of money for games in general. It's only advantage over an equivalent Core i5 is hyperthreading and games aren't that multithreaded. So, if anyone is looking for a CPU, save some money and get a 4670 instead of a 4770. Also ignore the K models unless you intend to do extreme overclocking - non-K models will still overclock within the kind of practical limits that normal cooling has. And for silent/low power builds forget about T and S low power models. They're a waste of money as you can undervolt normal CPUs to hit the same TDP.

In summary, don't spend any money ever.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

The thing i like most with the K series is how easy you can overclock em on demand; using turbo boost / speed bins i have my i5 to up to 4.8 ghz (5 was not 100% stable during long loads) when needed whilst idling at 1.6 (iirc) most of the time. Traditional OC you're raising the fsb and creating a constant increased draw and you'll need memory that can take the punishment. Also any older (non haswell) core chips will not like bclk oc at all, giving marginal oc at best and corrupted drives and fried hardware at worst.