Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic Serverlist Categories

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly show off something i've been working on... Took a while to get functioning properly, but - I'm quite happy with the result now.

Screenshots here: http://imgur.com/a/937fj

Full proposal to team here: http://pastie.org/8398071
Do it yourself, or stop complaining.

Looks very good. I particularly like the process behind the "auto-recommendation" feature. Always appreciate your work, Samual!

How does this take into account modifying a stock Xonotic branch (not using a custom mods branch) and changing say weapons config to for example, Camping Rifle like the way I have on my server. Will that just be tagged "Modified" or say "Vanilla Modified"?

I like the idea. What about if below the servers, create, demos, player setup buttons there were buttons to filter by category

Recommended, Modified, Custom, etc...
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

All modifications (including impure cvar changes) of servers get pushed to the modified servers category (even of xonotic default modname)-- camping rifle arena btw is one of those mods which is strange, it's technically a mod, but since there is only ONE server running it, I see no reason to make a separate category for it... hence why right now it's in the modified servers category.

As for filtering by category, not really productive/useful due to limitations on how categories are detected... later divVerent has some other ideas on things we can do with it, but that's probably not one of them. If you want to filter, you can just use the filter bar on the page... it supports all kinds of combinations and details.

Woah, nice work!

One more thought, how about purging servers from the list that haven't had any game play for say 14 days. This would force admins to be more involved with their servers.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(10-15-2013, 12:26 PM)end user Wrote: One more thought, how about purging servers from the list that haven't had any game play for say 14 days. This would force admins to be more involved with their servers.

Seems a bit radical, don't you think. How are those "punished" servers supposed to gain players and come back on the list if they aren't in the list in the first place?

(10-15-2013, 01:05 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(10-15-2013, 12:26 PM)end user Wrote: One more thought, how about purging servers from the list that haven't had any game play for say 14 days. This would force admins to be more involved with their servers.

Seems a bit radical, don't you think. How are those "punished" servers supposed to gain players and come back on the list if they aren't in the list in the first place?

Maybe they can be in a separate category (at the bottom of the list).

Hopefully they can auto-regulate. Hosting costs money, and if there's no players, that money is not well spent.

hmm when i first read about this concept I had the picture of a server browser with tabs in my mind. That way every server would somehow be on top of the server browser within its associated tab.
How to Englich?

Autobuild and Git users will get categories once they update their clients. Smile

Eh.. there's a little problem though.

Some minsta servers show up as regular Xonotic servers (most notably "Phil's Xonotic Server"), thus they appear in the list of the normal servers, kinda defeating the point.

Not sure how the whole minsta-or-not classification works though.
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

It's WIP and known. Wink
Note, that there are like no recommened servers currently as well.

(11-02-2013, 11:06 AM)Mirio Wrote: It's WIP and known. Wink
Note, that there are like no recommened servers currently as well.

Strange, I had two recommended servers showing up, including the smokehouse server.

its useless in my opinion.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(11-05-2013, 01:13 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: its useless in my opinion.

It will become useful once it is the default setting in 0.8.

(11-02-2013, 10:13 AM)Archer Wrote: Eh.. there's a little problem though.

Some minsta servers show up as regular Xonotic servers (most notably "Phil's Xonotic Server"), thus they appear in the list of the normal servers, kinda defeating the point.

Probably because that server used the default minsta settings. Most minsta servers (like dietunichtguten) use custom settings, like a changed hook speed and power, air control, move speed, ammo, playermodels, etc. I think this piece of code sees "Phil's server" as just a normal server, because he didn't really modify anything.

(11-06-2013, 02:42 PM)Mepper Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 10:13 AM)Archer Wrote: Eh.. there's a little problem though.

Probably because that server used the default minsta settings. Most minsta servers (like dietunichtguten) use custom settings, like a changed hook speed and power, air control, move speed, ammo, playermodels, etc. I think this piece of code sees "Phil's server" as just a normal server, because he didn't really modify anything.

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking, maybe it could look at how often weapon x is being used on the server, and if the minsta rifle is above a certain percentage, it would stamp the server as minsta.

Or you people just read my post. Tongue

It is _work in progress_ and not finished!

(11-06-2013, 03:51 PM)Mirio Wrote: Or you people just read my post. Tongue

It is _work in progress_ and not finished!

But Mirio, we all know that ignoring you is funnier Tongue

Minsta is a mutator, aand how are mutators supposed to be treated? others like NIX and...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(10-15-2013, 04:57 PM)Mirio Wrote: Autobuild and Git users will get categories once they update their clients. Smile

(11-05-2013, 01:50 PM)Archer Wrote: It will become useful once it is the default setting in 0.8.

So this "ordered" server list will be 100% included in the future?

Let me explain where i am coming from: I am a retired modder who got the strange urge to unretire for a bit after seeing how nice Xonotic actually is. Now toying around here would mean to divert time from my other projects so i am being a bit cautious if my time would be well invested.

Dont get me wrong, i fully understand that you want to design a game and not just a platform for modders to add fluffy bunnies to but please understand my perspective too. Having my efforts pushed to the bottom of the serverlist is something that would affect my decision quite a bit so id like to know beforehand as downloading an update and finding something like this would be kind of a nasty surprise for me.

WannabeUser, you're not alone in this. Many popular servers offer non-vanilla gameplay and server admins have expressed concern before you. The team is aware of this, but the majority decided to push vanilla gameplay forward through this decision. Hopefully this will set a good balance. The categorization can be disabled but will be default.

Here's the poll that established this decision http://46.4.83.5:27500/poll/138

Thanks for you fast answer, i appreciate it. I had already seen the vote but hoped things might have changed a bit since then or at least morphed into something more like:

(10-15-2013, 04:08 PM)cvcxc Wrote: hmm when i first read about this concept I had the picture of a server browser with tabs in my mind. That way every server would somehow be on top of the server browser within its associated tab.

I have to admit putting even more buttons into the server browser might not be the easiest thing to pull off nicely though. Also since it seems you already have code for the "ordered" version i understand that your focus is probably on more important tasks right now but maybe this could be considered somewhere in the future. I think it would even improve usability. I mean who likes scrolling long lists anyways? Let alone people who never try to do so since they dont know theres more categories below.

Actually almost all server owners i've talked to about this prefer the sorting... it allows people to find the type of gameplay they're looking for more easily, and that includes modified servers and such.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MP Serverlist map name alignment nilyt 0 2,047 11-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Last Post: nilyt