Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quake Live

Maybe some of the players swap over to Xonotic..

So basically a Windows-only QLPrism with less features and less options for the community to tweak the game (e.g., greasemonkey userscripts). That is what I call progress.

That was unexpected... =o I also hope that mirio.

(11-07-2013, 02:23 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 01:39 PM)Mirio Wrote: So QL gonna be a standalone game by the end of this year and dropping Mac/Linux support.

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthrea...alone-Game

gg

Not a smart move at all. There are some huge forces in the gaming world that want to see Windows completely burn, Valve being one of them, as well as hardware manufacturers (AMD in particular who is releasing an API that will compete with DirectX) and game developers setting the stage up for it to lose it's dominance. and with the way things are looking Linux will overtake Windows sometime in the 8th generation.

(11-07-2013, 03:11 PM)asyyy Wrote: So basically a Windows-only QLPrism with less features and less options for the community to tweak the game (e.g., greasemonkey userscripts). That is what I call progress.

It was already a step down to begin with as it was basically free to play Quake III: Gold without the blood or custom content support and more esports friendly features. I'm surprised people continued to play it after they started subscriptions for "premium" content.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(11-07-2013, 08:37 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Not a smart move at all. There are some huge forces in the gaming world that want to see Windows completely burn, Valve being one of them, as well as hardware manufacturers (AMD in particular who is releasing an API that will compete with DirectX) and game developers setting the stage up for it to lose it's dominance. and with the way things are looking Linux will overtake Windows sometime in the 8th generation.

I was being sarcastic at their backwardness Wink

(11-07-2013, 08:37 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: It was already a step down to begin with as it was basically free to play Quake III: Gold without the blood or custom content support and more esports friendly features. I'm surprised people continued to play it after they started subscriptions for "premium" content.
Reason 1: there were/are no alternatives when it comes to esport arena fps (unless you count shootmania now, what I don't do..)
Reason 2: a website, game servers, support stuff and developers (although the amount of these two is quite limited, but so is the monthly fee), new maps
Reason 3: 3-5 euro a month to keep your favorite game alive
Reason 4: not everything in life is free

(11-07-2013, 08:37 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Not a smart move at all. There are some huge forces in the gaming world that want to see Windows completely burn, Valve being one of them, as well as hardware manufacturers (AMD in particular who is releasing an API that will compete with DirectX) and game developers setting the stage up for it to lose it's dominance. and with the way things are looking Linux will overtake Windows sometime in the 8th generation.

Very optimistic.

(11-08-2013, 04:38 AM)asyyy Wrote: Very optimistic.

Only somewhat optimistic actually. I actually predicted back in 2007 (and got laughed at by other students in my tech school for it) that two things would happen: that there would be a huge push to PC and PC gaming would overtake console in the content department (which it has) and that Linux would overtake Windows within the next ten or twelve years (it's been six years since then and Linux is in fact slowly taking over and exponentially gaining momentum). The stuff I mentioned is only a couple things that is setting up Windows downfall.

Oh wait.

(11-07-2013, 01:52 PM)Maddin Wrote: One more reason not to play it. Just dropping Linux and Mac support... pff, seems like they got insane.

This is actually good news for the free, open-sourced Quake-based FPS deathmatch games such as Xonotic, Alien Arena, and Warsow, and particularly Open Arena. Since Quake Live was released, the player bases of all of these games were impacted heavily, maybe people will return to them. I've long thought that Quake Live was born after folks at id noticed the open sourced free ones doing well and they wanted a piece of the action.

I'm actually a bit surprised that id is even bothering with working on it any longer, given that fast-paced FPS games are waning so much in popularity in general, but I suppose that the competitive gaming scene still loving Quake Live might be keeping it alive.

I firmly believe though that particularly in the cases of Xonotic, Alien Arena and Warsow, that these games offer a far superior, evolved game than Quake Live. Don't tell the folks at ESR that though Smile

Quote:that there would be a huge push to PC and PC gaming would overtake console in the content department (which it has)
It has? I rather see more and more crappy console->pc ports (e.g., GTA 4) and less pure hardcore pc games (e.g., quake/ut).

(11-08-2013, 10:12 AM)Irritant Wrote: I firmly believe though that particularly in the cases of Xonotic, Alien Arena and Warsow, that these games offer a far superior, evolved game than Quake Live.

[Image: image.png]

(11-08-2013, 10:14 AM)asyyy Wrote:
Quote:that there would be a huge push to PC and PC gaming would overtake console in the content department (which it has)
It has? I rather see more and more crappy console->pc ports (e.g., GTA 4) and less pure hardcore pc games (e.g., quake/ut).

(11-08-2013, 10:12 AM)Irritant Wrote: I firmly believe though that particularly in the cases of Xonotic, Alien Arena and Warsow, that these games offer a far superior, evolved game than Quake Live.

[Image: image.png]

Absolutely serious. I don't think there is any question. QL is Q3, a game created in 1999. It still renders like 1999, still plays like 1999. The open sourced DM games have evolved considerably graphically, as well as added nuances to the gameplay that far outstrip what Quake 3 was. Q3 was the best DM game of it's time. It's time has long passed. You can mock me, or disagree, but that is my opinion. If you don't agree, explain why.

Quote:It still renders like 1999
wrong

Quote:still plays like 1999
wrong

Try the game before judging it.

(11-08-2013, 01:14 PM)asyyy Wrote:
wrong

wrong

I have played it, many times.

The render tech has not changed much, if at all from the original engine.

The game play is still basically Q3 with minor changes.

Care to illustrate the renderer advancements, and the changes in gameplay that you feel are "significant"?

The engine got some upgrades from the old one, like bloom for example. When it comes to gameplay though I have to agree with asyyy, even though I've only played a little bit of the q3 single player campaign and a few months of CPMA I can say that QL is quite different from its predecessor in this sense.

(11-08-2013, 02:09 PM)Irritant Wrote: The game play is still basically Q3 with minor changes.

We are talking about esports, especially 1v1 gameplay right?

(11-08-2013, 02:30 PM)asyyy Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 02:09 PM)Irritant Wrote: The game play is still basically Q3 with minor changes.

We are talking about esports, especially 1v1 gameplay right?

I am talking about the fundamental design. Specific balance or tweaks don't really count in my book. I am talking about modes, mutators, and game types that go beyond the thinking of Q3, and frankly Esports, which is a notably rigid, stuck-in-their-ways community.

And lol, adding bloom is hardly a renderer update. Welcome to 2001 Smile

Next: asyy says "no, you're wrong" and Irritant continues arguing.
goto Next.

No thanks. Just fyi, Q3 had hundreds or even thousands of modes, mutators and game types. And most of the stuff (if not all) that the games you named offer has been seen either there or in UT (or Half-Life) already.

When a game gets boring to me I start calling it dead.

(11-08-2013, 10:14 AM)asyyy Wrote:

Even when you exclude the overwhelming majority of lower quality indie games, there was far more exclusive content released on PC this generation than any of the three major consoles out right now IN ADDITION to most of the stuff that has been released on console. It should also be noted that stuff that was formerly exclusive to console has been jumping platforms to PC and even having sequals developed on PC as the lead platform (Dark Souls II in particular). We're even seeing genres that have been absent from PC for more than two generations making a comeback (fighting games in particular).

(11-08-2013, 01:14 PM)asyyy Wrote:
wrong

wrong

It started out as a lightly modified free to play Quake III: Gold and over time got it's physics and balance tweaked. There's also been some pretty minor things done to the engine, but nothing that really stands out.

Oh wait.

So QuakeLive is a standalone game now.

[Image: 6vo2Vnl.jpg]

Wow
very new
how .NET
so advance
Wow

I wish rendering web-pages and running binaries worked on Linux too ;_;. Game somehow worked in wine after installation. Brightness was way too low. Quit it after minute. Can't start it again anymore.
[Image: OYvkngZ.png] I'm woky on IRC.

Afaik the Quake Live "browser" even if it's logging in, it doesn't actually remember your login info. So you have to write your shit again each time.

They released a fix for broken login, click on the "known issues" link, an there is a download with a fix.
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quake 3 mod for Minecraft neXus 2 589 02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Frombleasome2004
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,821 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
  [NEED HELP] Quake maps in Xonotic Kriss7475 2 6,050 04-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Kriss7475
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,479 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? VertX 32 28,593 08-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Last Post: kojn^
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,360 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,342 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  We can pretty much declare Quake Live dead Lee_Stricklin 21 24,713 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Photo A History of Quake (Xonotic Briefly Mentioned) qwertyuiop924 1 4,203 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Craziest Quake Setup SPLAT 6 10,382 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin