Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controversial servers

I recently noticed some controversial servers. One of them included the tag [Nigger] in all the bot's name and another one is called "Black and White Society"(not sure if this one is racist, but I interpreted it that way). Should there be an attempt at removing these offensive stuff so that new players aren't put off when they start playing Xonotic?

I myself don't care, but thought it could be considered an issue by some foks.

I care. Though generally defending freedom of speech, I think it's unacceptable to have undoubtedly racist content on Xonotic servers that are shown in the server browser.

I'll try to get in touch with the core team via IRC.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Dissappinting but somehow I doubt that the server admins would care if they've set it up like that. Is it possible a server is left open enough that some mischievous player has changed this? Short of asking the server admins to change it or getting them somehow blocked in dpmaster there is no way to stop it.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

There is a centralized clientside blacklisting system. Clients fetch a file from a xonotic.org subdomain that contains update information, and this can contain a list of hosts to remove from the public listing. Those servers will still show up in the master servers' http status (example) or any third-party server browsers though.

As for this White & Black Gaming Society, it's an unfortunately named clan of sorts that appears to be against racism. You might remember kidx on this forum, who plays a role in that. Link: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3698

EDIT: I can't see any wrong server in the list right now. Next time, could you report more info about them?

(11-23-2013, 06:28 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: As for this White & Black Gaming Society, it's an unfortunately named clan of sorts that appears to be against racism. You might remember kidx on this forum, who plays a role in that. Link: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3698

Hehe, I somehow find it funny how I interpreted a anti-racist name for a racist one. I need to be less judgemental.

I don't think it's necessarily anti-racist to just name both races.

"WE LOVE CHINKS" is still a racist server, even if it's "positive racism."

As for banning servers, our policy is that we do a vote on a per-server basis, and can take up to 10 days for such action generally.... Maybe we should improve that.
Do it yourself, or stop complaining.

[Image: k8z2z8S.jpg]

Is this racist?

I think the term "nigger" that is included there in its slang form is a racist term. Using it can be anything from bad taste up to racism. If a member of the group of people that a racist term refers to uses this term itself, then it's hard to tell whether that can be actually considered to be racism. What I know for sure is that I strongly dislike the term "nigger", regardless of who uses it.

A very witty and funny take on the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQt2SAnTQc
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

No, a black guy said it.
Do it yourself, or stop complaining.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's make our servers community-like! xord86_64 3 996 02-03-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: xord86_64
  [META] Deploying Xonotic using GKE Game Servers? FAF 4 1,823 09-14-2022, 08:32 AM
Last Post: cushinga
  [ MoFo ] Servers Master Thread end user 5 4,956 11-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: end user
  Game servers in Kazakhstan. Mysyk 4 3,684 07-17-2020, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Mysyk
  Stazille.com | Quality Xonotic Servers djinn- 0 1,558 04-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Last Post: djinn-
  My Xonotic servers - more wanted? MarisaG 2 2,612 02-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Last Post: MarisaG
  New servers, interested to see what times people get to them... MarisaG 0 2,398 10-06-2018, 04:06 AM
  Free hosting for Xonotic servers MarisaG 8 6,261 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM
  Management Console for Linux servers MarisaG 1 2,456 09-17-2018, 03:59 AM
  New PsyX duel servers thearcoN 9 5,980 11-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Cortez666