Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Keybind setup for weapon switching?

In Quake 3:Arena I can easily switch weapons because I put the weapon keybinds like this.
1:Gauntlet
2:Machine gun(whatever it's called)
3:Shotgun
4:Grenade Launcher
R:Railgun
QTonguelasma Gun
MWheelUP:Lightning gun
MWheeldown:Rocket Launcher
F:BFG

But with Xonotic I have no idea what to put the weapons at for easy switching. Any suggestions?

Also, how much damage does armor absorb?

I use ESDF for movemet, so weapons are located on either sides.
The the left are the explosive weapons.
a Rocket L
w Nad0e L
q Hagar (which sis like plasma, so it is is like yours)
to the right energy weapons
g Nex
r Crylink t Electro
MG and Sg go on top.
shift is for laser
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

I also use ESDF
but my binds are a little different
3 Laser
W Rocket
Q GrenadeLauncher
A Shotgun
R MG
T Nex
G Crylink
V Hagar
C Electro
SHIFT for hook if there is need
How to Englich?

ESDF, that's actually a very goof idea. Coincidentally Those are the standard controls for Tribes 2, didn't think of that xP.
I´ll try both of yours and see which one I like best. Thanks for the suggestion.

Or you can use the powerful mouse scroll like i do!
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

(12-29-2013, 07:42 AM)Pendulla Wrote: Or you can use the powerful mouse scroll like i do!

Too slow/clunky in my opinion, unless you have like 3 weapons like in team fortress games.
Since there are weapon combos in this game, I think it's pretty important you can switch easily.

I use ESDF with the following weapon binds:

2 - Laser (as it was on "1" when I was playing with WASD and it was the only bind I really got so used to it that I moved it together with wasd)
1 - Shotgun
g - Nex
a - Mortar
r - Rocket
w - Electro
q - Crylink
v - MG
3 and 4 - Hagar (I often mix them up)
t - hook

Have fun experimenting :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I personally keep the weapons on their 'equivalent' places from q3 arena, so from your setup the weapons would go like:
1: laser
2: shotgun (starting weapon)
3: crylink (similar to a shotgun in a way imo)
4: mortar
R: nex
Q: hagar
MWheelUp: machine gun/uzi
WheelDown: rocket launcher
F: electro (damage with the electro combo is pretty much bfg level Tongue)
[Image: 12766.png]
Sucks at weapons

(12-29-2013, 08:02 AM)dylstew Wrote:
(12-29-2013, 07:42 AM)Pendulla Wrote: Or you can use the powerful mouse scroll like i do!

Too slow/clunky in my opinion, unless you have like 3 weapons like in team fortress games.
Since there are weapon combos in this game, I think it's pretty important you can switch easily.

Well i don't use only mouse scroll ffs. It is impossible with a game that has this many weapons and with alternate fire too. I use e for previously used weapon and f for best weapon switch so i can easily reset my scrolling Smile Also there is a way to set your weapon priority list which i really like. And last but not least i use middle mouse click for quick access to laser gun Smile
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

I think that the mousewheel isnt very good becouse it is difficult to use. It takes over the left finger which is needed for shooting.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Lol! Look at all these intensive keybinds! xD In the most part I leave mostly everything by default.
Q - Previous weapon
E - Next Weapon
F - Hook
Mousewheel up - Lazor

I'm screwed, if I where to have over 6 weapons in my inventory. Tongue But yeah, this is my classic controls for "slower" FPS games as well (z and x are for leaning in tactical FPS).

I don't know about you guys, but I like to keep my FPS setup consistent, so it doesn't feel weird for me to go from a twitch shooter to a tactical shooter.

Well, you dont have to worry about Weapon Combos in Arma either. ( but there you have to manage ACRE binds wich is just equally annoying Big Grin)
Somewhere in the time Bad Company 2 realeased I got really annoyed with weaon switching using the mouse wheel. So I got used to press 1 - 4 to change my weapons.
I just think its more conveniet to change directly to the weapon you want without going through every weapon you have or might now have.
How to Englich?

@Matoro: Ehm, you are playing Minsta, right? Wink That´s why your keybinds are that plain. Tongue Dude...

(01-02-2014, 02:13 PM)Maddin Wrote: @Matoro: Ehm, you are playing Minsta, right? Wink That´s why your keybinds are that plain. Tongue Dude...

Not playing minsta! I hate that game mode! I do fine with these "almost" default controls. I just don't see myself carrying over 5 weapons on a map. So that is why weapon switching is just easy for me. And almost every time I have to use the lazor anyway. I can simply scroll up for it.

Although, I would have to admit that juggling players with a combo of weapons can be a little tricky for me. :o

Then I´d recommend trying out to use single keys for each important weapon. I used to switch weapons the same way you do and had the same problems. Now I have the surrounding keys bound to each weapon I use normally, it was a bit clumsy at the beginning but definitely worth it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink "Dead in a minute": A fun, fast, and frustrating multiplayer setup ForkBomb 3 4,696 05-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Last Post: aa
  Alternative weapon models kojn^ 25 19,877 03-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Beagle