Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Installing Xonotic git in debian

Yesterday i did a clean install of debian and i tried to install xonotic(git)

First i followed this guide: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/3/wiki/R...ory_Access
And ran with some little problems

1) libjpeg-turbo8-dev isn't part of the debian repositories (i guess the equivalent is libjpeg8-dev)
-)it could be mentioned that this package isn't on debian but only on ubuntu(and mention the equivalent package).

2) After installing the rest of packages by apt-get, i executed the next step on the guide, cloning the git, but i used the same shell so i downloaded everything as root (i use su to enter as root instead of using sudo) after that i could not start xonotic because i downloaded everything as root and i didn't have access as normal user.
-)it could be mentioned to use a normal user to clone the xonotic repository.

3)After i found my mistake(downloading as root) and changed permissions to my user and started xonotic i found that every map was black, i checked the error log in the shell and the problem was that libcurl was missing from my system so i installed curl and with it, the problem was fixed, everything went well and i played without problems.
-) it could be added to the dependencies libcurl (or maybe curl)

I guess that the little problems i ran into are easily fixable, but it also requires minimal effort to edit the wiki to avoid them Smile so please take that into account.

I don't know if its the right place for this post, but if it isn't please move it to the right place.
[Image: 9074.png]

Thank you for reporting this! Actually, I suspect libcurl is not mentioned as dependency so we get new users to sign up to the forums and ask questions that we can easily answer. But it might also be that it is not made a dependency because the game actually does not need libcurl to run, it just needs it to download custom maps and compatibility patches from servers. It runs fine without libcurl on servers that are running the same version and the official maps.

Can't say anything to the debian package, but as for the root problem, I figure if someone is fiddling with git he/she should know about basic permission rules - and in any case be able to figure that out by him/herself :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

It's a wiki, you can participate in its editing as well!

(01-23-2014, 04:57 AM)Halogene Wrote: Can't say anything to the debian package, but as for the root problem, I figure if someone is fiddling with git he/she should know about basic permission rules - and in any case be able to figure that out by him/herself :o)

Still, it doesn't hurt to add those dependencies and notes to the wiki. You know, you could use that same argument to remove the git section on the wiki completely ("pfff, they should be able to find out themselves"). I'm pretty sure you didn't have that in mind actually, just saying...
People make mistakes, why not help them prevent these by having a complete step-by-step tutorial? Smile
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

I just updated the wiki page and added your remarks, Pikamiau Smile
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Thank you for updating the wiki zykure Smile
[Image: 9074.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] some textures won't load with git builds lister 2 2,444 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: LuckyStripe
  [SOLVED] Cannot run game anymore after new git update Bloodthorn 2 2,781 07-25-2018, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [SOLVED] cannot compile git code dingus 5 4,960 07-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Last Post: sev
  [NEEDS INFO] Fps drops [xonotic-git][mesa-r600g-git] Bitiquinho 10 12,143 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] how to compile linux and win executable using git under win7 TheGoodGamer 7 10,228 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM
  [SOLVED] Git clone errors end user 11 11,728 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Last Post: end user
  [NEEDS INFO] Compiling on debian squeeze - missing libjpeg-turbo8-dev end user 4 8,964 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: end user
Thumbs Up [TUTORIAL] [Guide] - Installing Xonotic (autobuild) in Fedora/Redhat/Centos/Scientific Linux TimelesslyPrecise 8 33,720 11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
  [SOLVED] netradiat not installing xonotic game pack hutty 3 4,407 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Last Post: hutty
Exclamation [SOLVED] Problems with Git Squigger 11 9,010 01-18-2012, 01:50 AM