Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sewers

So here it goes, my first map. I've tried to make it playable, interesting & good looking. Hope you enjoy.

Current release:
v2r3

Changelog
v1r1
* initial release
v2r1
* hopefully all changes mentioned by people in posts below Wink
* ramp jumps
* new tunnels
* reworked texturing
* moved items
* hole in the ceiling Big Grin
* game modes: dm, tdm, ca, kh, ft, lms, ka
v2r2
* rocky tunnel Big Grin
* saving electricity - ie less lights
* added some cliping so people don't get stuck
* changed water back
* made ramp jumpable in one go
v2r3
* stairs with ramps on edges instead of full ramps
* improved rocky tunnel - it's possible to go up, one just needs to go in correctly Wink
* added clipping in hole above rock (was nice sniping spot Big Grin)

Item list:
12 spawns

1 strength

1 big armor
1 large armor
13 small armor

3 medium health
1 mega health
3 medium health
22 small health

3 bullets refills
7 cell refills
5 rocket refills
5 shell refills

crylink, electro, grenadelauncher, hagar, nex, rocketlauncher, uzi

.pk3   sewers_v2r3.pk3 (Size: 5.08 MB / Downloads: 27)

[Image: xonotic20140501182944-00.jpg]

Old releases:

.pk3   sewers_v1r1.pk3 (Size: 3.61 MB / Downloads: 21)
screenshot: http://asmblr.net/xon/xonotic20140322142947-00.jpg

.pk3   sewers_v2r1.pk3 (Size: 5.42 MB / Downloads: 5)
screenshot: http://asmblr.net/xon/xonotic20140427151011-00.jpg

.pk3   sewers_v2r2.pk3 (Size: 5.46 MB / Downloads: 11)
http://asmblr.net/xon/xonotic20140429222557-00.jpg

The screenshot looks cool. I'll try it as soon as I have time later today
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

Nice job, especially for a FIRST map!! I have had a quick run through the map and here's my first impression on what could be improved:

I feel the map could use just a bit more rooms. It will be very hard to run away from a charging enemy since in case you actually managed to "run away" you'll immediately bump into the enemy again simply by entering the next room. More rooms also would allow for additional interconnectivity and more complexity.

The nex might be a bit too close to the mega armor. Maybe place the nex on a similarily exposed spot as the mega health.

The map is desperately missing ramp jumps. Maybe add some structures to the walls that you can get onto by ramp jumping and that can bring you to the upper level of the next room? Also I think gameplay will be centered around the ground floor. The upper level could be expanded (maybe some floating grids or floor tiles hanging from the ceiling, like in desert factory).

I was wondering quite a while about the beautiful rock that ... just... is there. How did it get there? Maybe add a hole in the ceiling or break the bars of the "window" as if the rock has fallen in from there and then close it for the player with crime scene or construction site tape so he can't get out. Also I would recommend to add some rubble and cracks to the floor and the stairs where it hit first and some more cracks around where it is now. It shouldn't intersect with the stairs or the floor without breaking it :o)

The wall tiles next to mega health could use a more "broken" touch since they seem to be loose. They should not hang that straight in a line (however, maintaining a more or less straight horizontal line at the top). I also think the passageway they provide doesn't need to be that wide.

That's all I could think about just now, very good job for a first map I have to say and I hope you have the energy to continue working on it!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Please, next time consider to write some useful info about map. Just like: mode, player and items quantity, etc...
Stealing this one to my server=)

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: Nice job, especially for a FIRST map!! I have had a quick run through the map and here's my first impression on what could be improved:
Thanks!

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: I feel the map could use just a bit more rooms. It will be very hard to run away from a charging enemy since in case you actually managed to "run away" you'll immediately bump into the enemy again simply by entering the next room. More rooms also would allow for additional interconnectivity and more complexity.
One or two rooms shouldn't be a problem

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: The nex might be a bit too close to the mega armor. Maybe place the nex on a similarily exposed spot as the mega health.
When I add more rooms some item rearranging will certainly happen.

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: The map is desperately missing ramp jumps. Maybe add some structures to the walls that you can get onto by ramp jumping and that can bring you to the upper level of the next room? Also I think gameplay will be centered around the ground floor. The upper level could be expanded (maybe some floating grids or floor tiles hanging from the ceiling, like in desert factory).
Will look into that, I also have some ideas of my own Wink

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: I was wondering quite a while about the beautiful rock that ... just... is there. How did it get there? Maybe add a hole in the ceiling or break the bars of the "window" as if the rock has fallen in from there and then close it for the player with crime scene or construction site tape so he can't get out. Also I would recommend to add some rubble and cracks to the floor and the stairs where it hit first and some more cracks around where it is now. It shouldn't intersect with the stairs or the floor without breaking it :o)
Yeah, it appeared there a bit by accident, while I was learning how to make something like this in netradiant and after few remakes it stayed, will look into it.

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: The wall tiles next to mega health could use a more "broken" touch since they seem to be loose. They should not hang that straight in a line (however, maintaining a more or less straight horizontal line at the top). I also think the passageway they provide doesn't need to be that wide.
Hm.. I like the effect which I achieved with "loose" plates, not sure how to improve that, could try making them broken, but it probably would look weird

(03-25-2014, 05:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: That's all I could think about just now, very good job for a first map I have to say and I hope you have the energy to continue working on it!
Hah, already working on something new, but will certainly look into making this one better!

(03-25-2014, 02:46 PM)Vargos Wrote: Please, next time consider to write some useful info about map. Just like: mode, player and items quantity, etc...
Stealing this one to my server=)
Big Grin

Mode: dm, tdm, ca
Players: I would say around 4 to not get crowded / has 8 spawnpoints
Items:
1 mega health
3 medium health
10 small health
1 armor large
1 armor medium
8 armor small
2 bullets refill
6 cells refill
4 rocket refill
4 shell refill
1 strength
crylink, electro, grenadelauncher, nex, rocketlauncher, uzi

In future versions, just add KH, FT, LMS, KA and what not DM-style mode to it. ^_^

Bots do not move.
Nice map otherwise, It's like a circle Smile

First of all: Very good job. Style is consistant. Idea is good. Brushwork is almost perfect. Map is packed properly. Fog shader is spot on.

Okey. The first thing I would expect after map called "Sewers" is dark, rusty, rotten environment. Instead I jump into clean, well lit futuristic spaceship with neat teleports and one big sewer going through it with clean water. The style might be consistant but it doesn't reflects the map name! I also agree with Halogene that the map needs ramp jumps. You should also definitely close some areas and lower the ceiling (although I am not so sure cause I haven't played the map multiplayer) because right now map seems too spacious for sewers.

The biggest problem designing-wise your map has is the texture usage. Those huge surfaces must be varied somehow otherwise they will look boring, repetetive and artificial. Here are examples of what you could possibly do effortlessly with just clipping and texturing. Look at the examples I prepared and pay attention to the texture work as well as alignement.

This is how it looks now and how it could look like (I made a hole in your ceiling. I hope you will forgive me [ITS HALOGENE'S FAULT])
[Image: ex1.jpg]=>>[Image: ex1_fix.jpg]

And other exaple from the map. I changed just a few things:
[Image: ex2.jpg]=>>[Image: ex2_fix.jpg]

Try also to texture surfaces that won't be seen with common/caulk texture. This will make the game not rendering them at all! Very good for your map's performance, especially when you run into lots of brushes and curves.

I have to congratulate you brushwork. Its amazing how you learned everything and got it almost perfect within the first try. Keep it up

I would like to add that I had a couple of CA matches on this map (3v3 and 2v2), and it plays to my own surprise really well. What I could still recommend layout-wise is to give the little space under the stairs at the rock some feature (maybe a teleport or a warp zone, or at least a valuable item). When I was playing CA, I missed some more spots to hide at, maybe add some non-obvious places that are non-trivial to get to where you can hardly be seen.

Again, a really good first take at mapping!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Yes, with regards to name it was kind of accident Wink
I named it that way when designing it, and it stayed even though it ended rather clean for sewers.
Also changing the name shouldn't be a problem, but I admit I'm bad with naming, so if anyone has any suggestions please share.

Overall I quite like cleanness of it (yeah I like when stuff is organized around me Wink but will certainly look into adding some more variation to walls, thanks for examples Justin!

I've already started with adding corridor under the stairs, leading to ramps, I will probably also make it go to bottom warp area, so there is alternative path out.

Anyway I'm still working on it, I hope everyone will like next version when it's ready.

Map name: Conduit (as in one for water)

So I've stayed with old name and released v2, I edited first post, so read up there.

nice map - but why do you changed textures for water?

The reflections looked pretty nice before in v1.

Anyway - uploaded map to server.

GreetZ Su

I like the direction where it goes! Some of the areas of the map are way too bright, try reducing brigtness. Also: You varied walls which is good but now some places need to be clipped, for they cease the flow of your map. It's amazing how this map looks. Is the layout a remake? It feels familiar. The flow could be better in the basement area, where huge wall panel blocks the way (in the corner). That kind of design might be pesky, especially during the fights.

You're doing good so far, it kinda has flow but I get the feeling that a lot of it is ruined by all of these ramps you've placed. Sure, ramps can help improve flow but they need to be used intelligently, not placed around wherever to try and flesh out the map or to be used as a terrible replacement for stairs. In all honesty it seems lazy.These ramps are very beginner-ish. The reason why I would avoid putting ramps everywhere is because in Xonotic you can get insane air from a ramp jump, but you'll be suspended in air for over half a second which is a lot of time. It'll also reduce a helluva lot of speed too, you could be going at 800qu/s and then hit a ramp, either correctly or incorrectly and you might be brought down to 650qu/s which is a big difference.

Here are a few places that had ramps in that really annoyed me:

Firstly the most annoying ramps were these two at what I like to call Bombsite (it reminds me of bombsites in Counter-Strike, so why not?)... image1 & image2...

Following this I think the ramps near mega armor are also an issue, however they do provide a lot of speed from jumping down them which kind of makes it less of an issue, but regardless they look very ugly and are still an issue when it comes to flow. image3 & image4. Now I understand that a lot of speed can be achieved by using these ramps, but at the end of the day you'll end up going up one again and you'll be losing that speed that you just recently acquired, stairs however will keep the player at the same speed. Why not perhaps provide an alternative that'll do both of those things? Now I understand from the shape and size of the hallways in that mega armor area that it is impossible to have ramps on either side of the stairs... So perhaps you could offer something like this: image5. Players can hit it when coming down to gain speed, and players can use the stairs when going up to maintain speed. That being said, if done correctly it can add more detail to your map. However I wouldn't be lazy and have one side of the stairs a ramp, that's just being a dick, yo.

Moving on I'd like to address this: image6. What is it. Why are they ramps. What purpose do they serve. Why do they look so gosh damn ugly. ;_; Now onto the next part image7, remove these ramps and lower the platform so that people can jump onto it. You literally hang in the air for more than half-a-second when ramp jumping (by accident) on these. It's... It's fucking horrible holy shit this is cortez-tier shit. This just ruins the map. Also do something about this ramp too image8.

Kinda being lazy with this post. eh :E

Thanks for all comments, v2r3 available in first post.
Hopefully my next maps will require less refining Tongue

wow - very nice map - tested it on dm server and liked the gameplay very much ...
btw - ty for give back the water reflections =)

Here some screenies:

[Image: xonoti32.jpg]
[Image: xonoti33.jpg]
[Image: xonoti34.jpg]

GreetZ Su