Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DISCUSSION] if you know about these, linux, good computers, the easyest to install linux,

ok before i begin, i went to imagicon today, and they had a gamin room with pcs with the game mohaa,(sorry i just wanted to say that), anyways my linux desktop the harddrive has lost all its data, so i need another linux, problem: if the computer stays on to long it locks up and freezes, and debian linux takes idk how many hours to install so it cant work, are there any linux versions that dont take hours to install, and live linux cd's are slower then a turtle and i cant install anything on the live cd's, so should i get another computer or should i just try and reinstall, or should i take about 5 gb's off my laptops 259 gb's hardrive to install ubuntu, what should i do?,

(this post is so i can help with xonotic btw)

So you need another linux because your computer freezes when it is on for long? Tongue

Fix your computer first, it might be a cooling issue (check that all fans are working) or just anything else. You might want to post this sort of stuff on some hardware troubleshooting forum ..

BTW you don't NEED linux in order to develop for Xonotic, you can do the same with winkdows.

Yeah, as mand1ga said fix your computer first. In this day and age you can get a computer that Xonotic run smoothly on for.. well on the brink of nothing atleast.
Oh I remember back in the day when.. five hour rambling about how Voodoo was the f'ing bomb and this with a SB 32 card could set you back an arm and a leg..
If you have little no experience with linux, go for ubuntu.
If you want to learn linux, use ubuntu for a while and if you have another computer to experiment on, intstall gentoo or arch on that one and have fun. Since you have a working computer and a "experiment computer" learning linux is easier and more fun.
And as mand1ga said you can still develop for Xonotic without using linux/mac os x. Smile
(05-23-2010, 10:33 PM)mand1nga Wrote: winkdows.
heheh "wink"dows Smile

"ZzZzzZZzz uh!? what!? Im processing! Im processing!! Wait wut?"

yeah, go get ubuntu.

either your english or your computer skills in general suck.. so you can also help on windows.

i used ubuntu to learn about linux, hopped over to arch in 3 months. never looked back.
[Image: weirdsig2.png]
emesde

OK i tried to install ubuntu its not showing up with the install i will try again sometime, and when i installed linux there was a problem hard drive not found, i have had the hard drive not found problem ever since i have tried to use a ubuntu live cd, so i got a version of linux on my hard drive but my computer cant find it, what do i do?

and i think i fixed the over heating problem, the processor was covered in dust, i cleaned it, i am right now on a hp pavillion dv2 laptop, i have 3 computers that i can use but besides the laptop the other 2 computers are old and one doesnt have a video card, and one is just plane old, it has windows 98 on it, with a 4 gb hard drive, my other computer the one that is not finding the harddrive is the one without the video card(although it has one on the board i think) it has pentium 4 processor on it with a 86 gb harddrive on it and i dont remember how much ram, and both of the old computers cant play a 3d game without getting 2 fps,

anyways, the reason i need linux is because winkdows cant do anything that is complicated, and i have had linux for almost a year intill i got a error 17 on grub and then something happend and then everything on the harddrive was gone, so and then after i tried to do something with a ubuntu live cd and then the harddrive wasnt found,

well i think that is all i have to say for right now

Quote:anyways, the reason i need linux is because winkdows cant do anything that is complicated

yes, it can. imo it's simpler on linux because linux is how i know how to do it, but if you learn how to do it on windows it should be fine.
[Image: weirdsig2.png]
emesde

lol I believe someone just translated lorem ipsum to english Tongue

(05-31-2010, 08:33 AM)mand1nga Wrote: lol I believe someone just translated lorem ipsum to english Tongue

It's already been translated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum...ranslation

By the way; the Linux problem sounds like a hardware problem; not a software problem. Have you tried using Disk Utility to check your hard disk?

(07-01-2010, 09:42 AM)IDWMaster Wrote:
(05-31-2010, 08:33 AM)mand1nga Wrote: lol I believe someone just translated lorem ipsum to english Tongue

It's already been translated
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum...ranslation

By the way; the Linux problem sounds like a hardware problem; not a software problem. Have you tried using Disk Utility to check your hard disk?

well i cant do anything on the computer, and i cant check the disk because the computer wont read it or detect it either,

i checked out the ubuntu forums and there have been some problems with western digital and intell mother boards, and this is what i did then it just wouldn't read it at all(however it did read and start a windows 98 hard drive) i used a ubuntu live cd it failed and after that my computer couldnt read the hard drive which is western digital, and i think it might have something to do with the mother board being intel i'm not sure

some linux kernels don't have built-in support for generic ide interface, and therefore a drive connected to that interface might not show up. However, you can enable generic-ide support when rebuilding the kernel...

ubuntu is full of noobs advising noobs and it is easy to find misinformation in ubuntu forums...

the gentoo suggestion is great as the gentoo community is great, and the gentoo documentation is great
however, as gentoo compiles itself from source, it takes a long time to install

another distro with strong community and good documentation is slackware, and since slackware installs binaries on your system, installation is much faster

A. Sounds like your hard-drive took a dive off the deep end, that or your sata/pata controllers are screwed(which doesn't seem to be the issue...you ran another HD fine). Buy a new hard-drive. By your description it is dead. There shouldn't be any issues with a specific HD and intel MB's. The bus for HD's is generic. As stated prior, the Ubuntu community isn't what I would call...advanced. Real troubleshooting happens on Gentoo.
B. You can do MOST anything in Windows, but it is considerably more challenging and risky. Windows isn't designed to be as flexible as Linux. But developing Xonotic on Windows isn't very challenging because you don't have to hack Windows to make it work.

Well, I had this problem before and I got it fixed by changing my HDD to AHCI mode and add these lines in the boot options:
Code:
ata_generic.all_generic_ide=1 pci=nomsi
Then, I had no problems detecting my HDD and I could install Fedora without any other problems(took about 3 mins to install). This should work on Ubuntu too. After you've done installing, switch back your HDD to SATA mode.

Voila, you got your Linux installed.

And yes, this problem has something to do with WD drives. Many people who are/were facing this problem are those who use WD drives, including me.

(09-22-2010, 10:41 AM)aCROX999 Wrote: Well, I had this problem before and I got it fixed by changing my HDD to AHCI mode and add these lines in the boot options:
Code:
ata_generic.all_generic_ide=1 pci=nomsi
Then, I had no problems detecting my HDD and I could install Fedora without any other problems(took about 3 mins to install). This should work on Ubuntu too. After you've done installing, switch back your HDD to SATA mode.

Voila, you got your Linux installed.

And yes, this problem has something to do with WD drives. Many people who are/were facing this problem are those who use WD drives, including me.

thanks, but um how did you switch to AHCI mode? i cant find anything on my computer that is related to that

Oh right, its in the BIOS config.

in the bios i cant find anything on the mode

edit: will post a picture if needed

Just check it all over the BIOS settings.

i'm not sure its there, its like a 8 year old dell desktop(although the computer runs great like a new one when it has a working linux) i cant really find it, i will try again sometime, but in the meantime could you think of something else that might work?(also i know what you mean about switching the modes because the computer i am on now is a dell inspiron laptop, and found it in here)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEEDS INFO] Linux install Old_Geekdad 7 4,466 01-16-2019, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Zoommair
Bug [SOLVED] troubleshooting how to install maps Eonman 2 4,549 03-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [SOLVED] How do you open dat files on linux? Beagle 10 7,871 04-21-2016, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  [NEEDS INFO] How to ubuntu xonotic server install? Turan 4 5,389 03-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Turan
  [SOLVED] [Solved]How to install or runn Xonotic Kaddafi 10 10,394 10-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue Red Viper 6 7,941 03-08-2014, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [SOLVED] Can you save maps you download whilst playing online? axe 10 10,065 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Last Post: axe
  [SOLVED] help how to install maps Alex 5 7,397 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Install/ .exe question.... Athletic_Anchovy 5 6,439 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Athletic_Anchovy
  [SOLVED] Install in Ubuntu 11.10 sengyau 4 9,408 04-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Spaceman