Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Unreal Tournament

So apparently we're going to get a new UT: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/02/epic-a...-on-may-8/

First proper commercial arena game since.... UT3, oh god why Angry.(wow its been 7 years)
I hope they have learned their lesson from UT3 and quake live. If its going to be multiplatform I won't touch it, its dead before its even made unless they make the PC version faster and more responsive.
There are so many aspects of fps genre they could revolutionize after these years, but it would be fine even as a rehash.

@nvz new wanking material for ya

Hopefully they don't fuck up and casualify it or just make the gameplay lackluster in general.
[Image: 38443.png]

Awesome sauce! Been waiting for a new UT game. I don't know about you guys but with mods and settings changes, UT3 is actually pretty fun. UT2004 is probably the best though.

(05-02-2014, 08:36 PM)fa1nt Wrote: @nvz new wanking material for ya

I'm not keeping my hopes up too high. We will see on Thursday what Epic will reveal.

And trust me as soon as I got home Friday night I had 9 or 10 people message me that link on steam. But hey don't worry guys this will be my main game to play and support of course until UT4 comes out hehe.

(05-02-2014, 07:42 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: So apparently we're going to get a new UT: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/02/epic-a...-on-may-8/

First proper commercial arena game since.... UT3, oh god why Angry.(wow its been 7 years)
I hope they have learned their lesson from UT3 and quake live. If its going to be multiplatform I won't touch it, its dead before its even made unless they make the PC version faster and more responsive.
There are so many aspects of fps genre they could revolutionize after these years, but it would be fine even as a rehash.

To my understanding the game will likely be put together by the community and backed by Epic Games. The question is whether it will cater more to UT99 players or to UT2k4 players. There's a huge divide in the community between those games and the attitude between UT99 players and Epic games for nearly a decade now hasn't been great because of how Epic abandoned UT99 and even removed the forum for it, forcing the community to maintain the game themselves and create their own forums (such as UT99.org) where community developers lurk. Still UT99 has the bigger playerbase and the most capable developers which still to this day crank out content and generally speaking, UT99 is held in higher regard (screw what Metacritic says, UT2k4 got released when PC gaming was nearly dead and during a time where there were lower standards for games in general). UT3 was dead on arrival and didn't get the revival Epic wanted when they released the Titan pack as lack of content was only one of MANY things that plagued it. I'm cautiously optimistic about how this may turn out, if it's like UT99 with the things that Digital Extremes got right in Unreal Championship 1 (which was shockingly different that UT2k3 and especially UT2k4 and felt like the only game that tried to properly succeed UT99) with the very few things that were good about UT3, then we have a winner. If it tries to be like UT2k4, I won't bother with it, if it's like UT3 then I really won't bother with it, and if it's a clone of UT99 then there really won't be much incentive to mess with it either given how much shit is available for UT99.

Anyway, tl;dr, this is what I'd like to see in it:

>Art direction derived from Unreal, Return to NaPali (UT99 was originally going to be a multiplayer expansion for Unreal), and Unreal Championship 1 (Which was developed by Digital Extremes to properly succeed UT99 which they did more development on than Epic and the overall presentation of the game showed it as it got a bit gritty and even depressing at times with it's look, feel, and soundtrack.). This should look like Unreal Tournament (99) 2, not Serious Sam 2 or Gears of War.

>Soundtrack heavily influenced by that of UT99 and Unreal Championship 1 and containing both original tracks and remasters of old ones

>ALL of UT99's weapons, including the ripper. Said guns should look like they were made to kill people as well, not look like kiddy toys or overly complex machines.

>ALL of the functionality of UT99's weapons with only minor tweaks (for example, reducing the eightball gun to three shots instead of six and the minigun/tyridium stinger using separate ammo from the enforcers. The way the GES acted in UT3 was also nice.)

>No stupid backstory like what existed in UT3 or even Unreal Championship 2. If anything, go back to the tournament ladder system of UT99 with maybe the player trading and team building from UT2k3/UT2k4.

>NO double jumping except to activate antigrav boots, maybe come up with a better way to handle dodging, possibly retain the armor system from UT3.

>Ditch the vehicles and hoverboards, those can be saved for another videogame instead as all they never really added anything good to begin with.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

UT99 is better than 2k4 but the movement is so outdated. Ut3 beats out ut99 weapons and movement any day of the week. Air control FTW.

I hope they keep the VCTF at the same caliber as in UT3, it's the only FPS shooter I like to play with vehicles.

Made a video for good ol' times:

I only played UT99 a bit. You are quite optimistic if you think they will remake it along UT99, after all these years. It really depends on what is their primary audience. Games that are made today are targeted for the widest audience, but kids these days wouldn't understand how arena games are played.

UT2k4 got released when PC gaming was nearly dead and during a time where there were lower standards for games in general
> wot, those were the best times for gaming: HL2, CSS, UT2003, Bloodlines, BF vietnam, WOW, Doom 3, Far Cry, Painkiller and that's not a complete list. Those years were awesome for gaming, I have no idea what are you talking about.

(05-04-2014, 08:35 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: I only played UT99 a bit. You are quite optimistic if you think they will remake it along UT99, after all these years. It really depends on what is their primary audience. Games that are made today are targeted for the widest audience, but kids these days wouldn't understand how arena games are played.

UT2k4 got released when PC gaming was nearly dead and during a time where there were lower standards for games in general
> wot, those were the best times for gaming: HL2, CSS, UT2003, Bloodlines, BF vietnam, WOW, Doom 3, Far Cry, Painkiller and that's not a complete list. Those years were awesome for gaming, I have no idea what are you talking about.

That is a miniscule list of things compared to what even the friggin XBOX had going for it at the time, especially when you consider how much of that later got ported (Far Cry got a remake that was arguably better than the PC original, Half Life 2 got ported, Doom 3 was almost exactly the same game just chopped up into more levels, and UT2k3 was a joke compared to Unreal Championship after it got patched), and on top of that, a lot of those games hardware requirements were pretty steep at the time as a lot of people were still using Pentium IIIs and Geforce 3 and 4 cards which really sucked for handling things like Half Life 2, Doom 3, and Far Cry not to mention some of us were still using 40-80GB HDDs we had bought just a year or two prior to those games coming out. For real, PC gaming didn't rebound until 2007-2008ish. One could also argue the quality of those games to ones released previous generation as well as Half Life 1 still holds up as a good thinking game while Half Life 2 has aged like an average shooter, UT2k3 and UT2k4 dying while UT99 thrives could be an indicator of those games quality, CS1.6 retained a considerably more hardcore following during the time CSS was out, and Doom 3 was considered to be a really boring ass game by a lot of people who enjoyed the first four games which are timeless and seem to get better with age. Far Cry was also painfully average except for the graphics and open maps until Ubisoft reworked the whole game for the XBOX game Instincts (which is a reimagining of the game).

Oh wait.

The first playable release (pre-Alpha) of OpenTournament is ready to download: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthre...ha&p=27326

(05-04-2014, 03:57 PM)asyyy Wrote: The first playable release (pre-Alpha) of OpenTournament is ready to download: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthre...ha&p=27326

an open-source remake of the first game in a series about to get a fourth entry announced, attempting advertising upon the fourth entry's thread? reaching new heights Big Grin

(05-04-2014, 04:14 PM)fa1nt Wrote:
(05-04-2014, 03:57 PM)asyyy Wrote: The first playable release (pre-Alpha) of OpenTournament is ready to download: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthre...ha&p=27326

an open-source remake of the first game in a series about to get a fourth entry announced, attempting advertising upon the fourth entry's thread? reaching new heights Big Grin

Sadly this one seems to be looking more like a follow up to UT2k4 and there's a reason the UT99 community abandoned that one quickly.

Oh wait.

(05-04-2014, 09:50 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Sadly this one seems to be looking more like a follow up to UT2k4 and there's a reason the UT99 community abandoned that one quickly.

yeah yeah i know, you seem to be acting as the UT99 "community ambassador" or whatever stating your plans for it to be pretty much a replica of UT99 Big Grin yeah well that's not happening anyways, no way. I'm going to look at it with a new perspective since it's the first UT game that's come out in so long regardless

(05-04-2014, 09:50 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(05-04-2014, 04:14 PM)fa1nt Wrote:

Sadly this one seems to be looking more like a follow up to UT2k4 and there's a reason the UT99 community abandoned that one quickly.

There will be an UT99 instagib mod at least, would not be surprised if NW gets implemented too at some point - provided that people are actually interested.

The new UE4 looks amazing. I've always thought that UE was the prettier, nicer looking engine than idTech for years, and while they didn't have the catch-phrase worthy new tech of id, they more than made up for it with polish and beautiful effects.

UT3 was probably the most underrated game of all time. It was hated for all of the dumb reasons that people hate on games(comparing it to it's predecessors, and hating change). It's got very solid gameplay, that is fun and addicting. It's beauty and detail are unrivaled to this day in the Arena FPS genre as well.

IMO it's the closing thing to the perfect Arena FPS ever made, right along with the original Q3(for it's time). Very excited to see UT4 and what it brings to the table. Might be just the kick that the genre needs after so long of having a viable Arena FPS that is truly new(note - QL I did not consider "new").

I just wish Epic would at least once make a game that would rather than graphically amazing be more user friendly and that they wouldn't leave all their shortcomings and glitches for the community to fix.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-fu...gins-today

Awesome!

well that was... err... something

EDIT: lol rocknroll just posted link, but here's all the shit, typed out Big Grin

for those that missed, and probably more info to come in vods (i was able to watch the first 15 mins before i had to leave school):

- New Unreal Tournament (no name as of yet, presumably UT4)
- Windows, Linux, Mac, no console (or phones, lel)
- FREE. ABSOLUTELY FREE. They explicitly stated it's not free to play, it's just FREE.
- Development starts today, may 8th.
- They want the game to be made by the community, almost completely, at almost all stages. They will start with a sort of template, and work from there. Almost all input will coalesce and be filtered into the best ideas, and the devs will post what their impressions were, what they implemented, updates constantly. Development will be livestreamed at points as well.
They have huge love for their communities, and in the ages of EA and Activision cranking out cash cows, this is immense. Big Grin
I genuinely look forward to the potency of the diehard UT fans of both 99 and 2k4 coming together to make a better arena shooter than ever. And based on the direction this takes, i will probably become a contributor as well.

quoted from https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-fu...gins-today :

Quote:HERE’S THE PLAN:
- We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
- From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
- All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
- The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

SO WHAT’S THE CATCH?
- It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
- When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
- We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out. Things will prob- definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.

this is, without a doubt, the best possible outcome. It's also the riskiest possible outcome.

gl hf, Epic Games.

(and i swear if another person suggests that they merge with Open Tournament i will leave stab wounds on their body)

[Image: 49584006.jpg]

no just delete yours "Big Grin"

(05-08-2014, 02:10 PM)fa1nt Wrote: And based on the direction this takes, i will probably become a contributor as well.

Noooooooooooo Wink
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I haven't been this excited for a FPS shooter since...ever.

RIP Xonotic Kappa

Good, but not what I expected. Confirms the trend that PC games will be made cheap and released as low-quality alphas. They obviously expect that people will make maps and other crap for them. Their monetization strategy is weird, they seem to believe that the game will be payed by addons and mods which is unprecedented and completely retarded, even Valve's approach on selling pink AK47's is better.
Also, AFAIK Unreal Engine 3+ barely supports mods, at most maps and models, but no conversions, this is the reason they made UDK.

Its obvious that this is just a experimental, low-risk, cheap attempt to grab some PC market. They are either desperate or they have no real interest and they are half-assing it.

The only redeeming thing is that they ditched the consoles and will make it open-sourcish, which is great. It will probably turn out to be good but it will take years and a LOT of community involvement.

Maybe I'm just being overly negative but this is not how game industry does things. They are not some indie studio, they are an ancient company that makes millions on licensing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vore Tournament (game forked from Nexuiz) MirceaKitsune 140 242,265 10-25-2019, 07:19 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  Hi guys, this is me winning the xonotic pro elite super turbo tournament 2019 ***** SUPER FALLITO ***** 5 4,577 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  Well you guys held a tournament Antares* 15 11,692 09-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Last Post: kaadmy
  Mario Kart Unreal Engine 4 Beagle 0 3,545 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Star Wars: Battlecry (Unreal Engine 4) rocknroll237 128 182,373 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Gave the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha a spin, here's my breakdown Lee_Stricklin 2 6,546 03-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Epic's Unreal - my sound of NaPali unfa 7 9,898 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unfa