Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drum'n'Bass track W.I.P "Taste Thermite"

Music 
[Image: artworks-000081620237-rgbn67-t200x200.jpg?30a2558]

Story:
I coudn't fall asleep tonight, so I decided to get up and do something to get rid of some stupid thougts that haunted me. I run my laptop, launched Xonotic and started looking for a game. I played a few games and joined Clan.exe's server, where someone (can't recall the name) said something like:
"unfa! Don't play minsta, make music!"

And I was like "Blah, blah, ok, but I'll be back with a new track"
By the time I finished, everyone left the server.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the result. It's not finished, I really want to record a vocal sample that'd say:

TASTE THERMITE! [bass drop]

Because this is what I hear when I pickup shield.

Listen and/or remix:

Losless (FLAC):
http://unfamusic.com/5h1+/unfa-TasteThermite-10.flac

Lossy (Ogg Vorbis):
http://unfamusic.com/5h1+/unfa-TasteThermite-10.ogg

Source (LMMS 1.0.0):
http://unfamusic.com/5h1+/unfa-TasteThermite-10.mmpz

The audio files have tags for looping in Xonotic, so you can make a map with it and tell my how you like it, what should I change to make it better for gameplay music, or if it's gonna be good for a frag movie or maybe just CTS (you know, dnb has good tempo for running!).

Anyway.

I'm going to sleep now. It's 5:20 AM, have a good party, send me the bill.

PS:
All sounds are synthesized with ZynAddSubFX from scratch just for this track. I have recorded a timelapse while making it, so it might come around... next week. Yaaaaawn!

UPDATE:
New version, slowly getting there:
https://soundcloud.com/unfa/taste-thermite-v-11
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I tried it on some games. Globally it's not aggressive enough to fit battle gameplay but is more suited for more "thinkfull" things.

I tried DM on Strength with 9 bots, rythme is good and the melody is giving some pace (even if it not as punchy as the whole mess in game). The bass parts are action killing. Funny thing, the tempo is almost the same as the hagar rate of fire Big Grin (at least on version 10, tried 11 after that)

An other try on Heavy Metal which is a bit darker and Domination. Same as above, but it's getting better when nothing is really happening (like defending some control points when everyone is elsewhere).

Next on Newtonian Nighmare and Dance for a more spacy atmosphere. Definitively not for battle. The buildup at 1.10 should fit well on a video, but it is superstrange when you are just walking to some weapons in your base at that time.

The "pop popop" at 4:25 sounds like someone is playing breakout somewhere or picking items, it stands out too much and it's disturbing. The first time I heard it I didn't know what was happening, like item pickup or bullet hit sounds had bugged.

Then I tried some Race on Courtfun and Leave'em Behind. And THAT's what this music is for. The rythme is fast enough but not too dynamic to focus on your moves and speed instead of spaming fires and escape moves like in battle. It makes you want to go faster, but is not exciting you.

If felt it better on Courtfun, Leave'em Behind is too narrow. It may fit best on one of the open maps I don't have with a less industrial setting (why do I think about some F-Zero tracks? light, void, hi-tech, Aeropolis?)

So you have two options: remove bass parts and add some effects or whatever on melody to suit fighting modes or continue on that way for race modes. At least, It's just my opinion Smile

Wow! I didn't expect such a detailed revision, thanks!

I think I'd try to make a version that's optimized for regular matches, and make a version optimized for race.

So I'll start two "second level" versions based on regular version 11.

unfa-TasteThermite-R01 (Race)
unfa-TasteThermite-D01 (Deathmatch)

I'll be posting any progress, so we can refine these tracks, that might eventually become so different that not quite one any more - if any would get into the game, I'll celebrate.

I'd appreciate your further help, Karamel - you're making precise points that can help make this music it's best for Xonotic.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

[Image: artworks-000081742179-daze1f-t200x200.jpg?30a2558]

Here's version D05 - I tried to optimize it for deathmach according to Karamel's feedback.
Looped for the game of course.

http://unfamusic.com/5h1+/unfa-TasteThermite-D05.ogg
http://unfamusic.com/5h1+/unfa-TasteThermite-D05.flac

I must say, I'm quite excited about the changes. Normally I'd be afraid to do so drastic changes to a track, but since this is a sub-version, I didn't hesitate to throw stuff out or in at will.

Changes of version D05 in relation to v. 11:

- less bass
- more energy
- less chillout/jazz vibe
- more funky melodies
- less buildups
- different use of the vocal sample
- more variation in drum patterns
- more different instruments
- more explosions
- a few "sustained" moments (hence the track got a bit longer even though I threw out some parts)
- one (instead of multiple) sustained chilly moment to contrast all the loud stuff, and give listener some rest

(I've got one extra version ready - D06, but I'll upload it later).

The track itself is not bad (I like it) but doesn't feel like an in game play track but more of a loading screen/pre game music.

I think something like Ragga Jungle or Breakcore would good. Something like this on the darker side http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...uKPU#t=822

How about some KMFDM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-bUYU3BH8 or Pentera http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

You're welcome to present your own work and contribute to Xonotic.

I don't know about Ragga Jungle, but Breakcore sounds to me like scaring off 98% of players.

Wow! You made my day! I didn't expected something like that to be possible given the original orientation. You're awesome.

I played a few battle games but can't give a full feedback yet. The whole feeling is it's way better but there are still room for improvement. It's not as obvious as the first time. I need to go deeper Tongue so don't rush on what I write now, I may say something different next time.

I played Alazea, Minideck, Solarium, Techassault and Runningman CTF (in domination).

First I had to reduce volume to around 90% but I don't think it's a big deal. The best part in my opinion is at 3:02 when the melody get repetitive with pitch change. There's something to do with the lower-pitched with I think fit better in game than the high-pitch like at 0:43. It's like being a little bit to present compared to fires and explosions (maybe).

Talking about fire was the track speeded up a bit? Machinegun and hagar seems to have slowed down Big Grin

Maybe I'm a bit drugged to Meltdown with it's power bass, but it sounds like most of the energy comes from the bass part and the melody adds a bit of tension. Like bass building up something in your chest and melody exploding it by chilling your arms. It's just the contrary that on first feedback but after relistening v11 bass was more relaxing than exciting. I must try more games to be clearer about that from various parts of the soundtrack instead of comparing it with other.

Also I must say that I've grown up when music in video games was as important if not more than graphics. Games that lose almost all interest when music is off. So I may tend to not just want "background" music but much more. Finally I also played a little bit of bass and drums so I may focus more on that.

I'm also learning a lot about music in game with this Angel

Thanks, Karamel Smile

Two things I think I understood from your feedback are:

1. Leads playing in higher octaves tend to obscure game's sounds too much - I can try to fix that;
2. The whole track can be made quieter - I'm not sure how -10% relate to dB, but I should be able to hear this clearly when I compare the track with some current Xonotic music.

I'm not sure what about the bass sounds - I made them much quieter than in v. 11, so they're supporting and not lead instruments as they were.

Good rhythm!
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

How about some old skool speed garage style. Its pretty basic composition music wise I would think.

[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

aa: thanks for such detailed feedback, I'll look into this track in a few days.

end user: I'll check these out too, however it might be a good idea to move this to another thread - if I'll start a track based on these references, I'll do so.

Good night Big Grin

I'm getting late giving more details but time is running out. And you are putting so much to listen this time it's hard to follow Smile

I wish I had more energy for all those free stuff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music New track (WIP) - Toxic Sludge (New name = Sulphur) Archer 12 12,728 10-26-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,607 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
  Good track styles for Xon - example inside end user 0 3,140 10-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Last Post: end user
Music Track: Clubix unfa 2 4,253 09-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Last Post: MathCubes
Music Track: "Monstro" - minimalistic neurofunk unfa 3 4,984 03-18-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
Music Track: Something for Everything Totally_Cool 4 6,732 02-15-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: unfa
  I actually finished a track for once... MrDetonia 3 5,305 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Last Post: MrDetonia
  Track: "Dark Space" - techno / house unfa 0 2,926 02-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Last Post: unfa
  Track: "Dave's Dog" unfa 6 7,238 12-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Debugger
  Track "OpulenZ Prime" unfa 5 7,180 10-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Last Post: end user