Xonotic + Warsow

Warsow derivative with mostly Xonotic content. Alpha soon
http://warxon.com

nice :>
[Image: 6963.png]

http://www.warxon.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96fUPERLWa0
http://esreality.com/post/2612424/warxon-new-fps-game/
metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

Dedicated thread here: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...&pid=67545

I like how esreality take this game more seriously than stuff like Project Nex.

Merging threads.

What... from what the video shows the only thing that this thing shares with xonotic is its maps and models.
(The rest of the post was self-censored)

Haha, looks cool! Interesting idea!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

extone Wrote:In warxon gameplay will be adjusted based on community feedback during alpha/beta stage.

Oh well... good luck. Tongue

oh dear lord

Why even bother, why not either help Warsaw or Xonottic instead of some half bred thing.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-29-2014, 06:06 PM)end user Wrote: Why even bother, why not either help Warsaw or Xonottic instead of some half bred thing.
Both wsw and xonotic unnecessarily selfrestricted to certain content licenses, kinda in opposite way what is not good for indie game. Both of them are not/hardly taking any gameplay changes. Overall I like xonotic content much more, but I dont like xonotic weapons and QuakeC. At the same time qfusion engine is much better suited for competitive multiplayer game. So I just made game out of the best available components. Further improvements are planned prior to 1.0 version

(06-29-2014, 11:43 PM)extone Wrote: Both wsw and xonotic unnecessarily selfrestricted to certain content licenses

But if you're building a derivative work from a GPL'd engine and GPL'd data assets, you're also building a GPL project which is therefore also "restricted to certain content licenses", are you not?

(06-29-2014, 11:43 PM)extone Wrote:
(06-29-2014, 06:06 PM)end user Wrote: Why even bother, why not either help Warsaw or Xonottic instead of some half bred thing.
Both wsw and xonotic unnecessarily selfrestricted to certain content licenses, kinda in opposite way what is not good for indie game. Both of them are not/hardly taking any gameplay changes. Overall I like xonotic content much more, but I dont like xonotic weapons and QuakeC. At the same time qfusion engine is much better suited for competitive multiplayer game. So I just made game out of the best available components. Further improvements are planned prior to 1.0 version

I don't get it. You taking something that is GPL and plan on re issues it with a different license? Its still going to be GPL...
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(06-30-2014, 03:00 AM)end user Wrote:
(06-29-2014, 11:43 PM)extone Wrote:

I don't get it. You taking something that is GPL and plan on re issues it with a different license? Its still going to be GPL...

There will be different content packs per different licenses e.g. like in redeclipse or even in warsow (they have some differently licensed content in game packs with license file, they just dont tell about it)

part of redeclipse license
redeclipse Wrote:The license covers the source code, shells scripts, and related config files.
The included enet network library is covered by an MIT-style license, which
is however compatible with the above license for all practical purposes.

Content included in the game (maps, textures, sounds, models etc.) is NOT
covered by this license, and may have individual copyrights and distribution
restrictions (see individual readmes), note that all content in Red Eclipse
is intended to be "open source" friendly.

Yes, but you said that "Both wsw and xonotic unnecessarily selfrestricted to certain content licenses, kinda in opposite way what is not good for indie game.". What we are trying to say that if (part of) the reason for your merge-project was that licenses were being too restrictive then you won't solve that problem by taking parts from one project and other parts from the other project. You can't relicense content unless you're the author. But if is not the license restrictions that was bothering you but instead you just think Xonotic models and maps look better on qfusion engine, then fine :o) Running your project on multiple licenses for different assets is a complex but valid strategy.

Good luck!
My Xonstats Profile

(06-30-2014, 04:05 AM)Halogene Wrote: But if is not the license restrictions that was bothering you but instead you just think Xonotic models and maps look better on qfusion engine, then fine :o)
I did not say it, I said that qfusion is better engine for multiplayer FPS game. In fact alpha of Warxon is gonna look worse then xonotic. What bothered me is weapons and QuakeC

(06-30-2014, 04:05 AM)Halogene Wrote: What we are trying to say that if (part of) the reason for your merge-project was that licenses were being too restrictive then you won't solve that problem by taking parts from one project and other parts from the other project. You can't relicense content unless you're the author.

I'm not gonna relicense anything. I will definitely try to minimize amount of licenses but I dont see much problems with many licenses especially if they are free. Getting propriatary content might be harder to manage if not to have restrictions like Warsow has which I'm not gonna have.

Looks really interesting, good luck and I'll be following the project!

I've had so many problems with Qfusion that it's made me hate Warsow, probably why I'm more glued to Darkplaces games like Quakeworld/Xonotic. Also, I hope you don't take the new openGL stuff they got in Wsw 1.51, that shit makes me and my computer mad Big Grin

So many FPS spring up lately.... Wonder what will be survival rate?

Pr. Nex, XonWar, Tessesafct, also older ones like Unanquished, TremZ//etc///tece
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(06-30-2014, 11:40 AM)aa Wrote: So many FPS spring up lately.... Wonder what will be survival rate?

Pr. Nex, XonWar, Tessesafct, also older ones like Unanquished, TremZ//etc///tece

They'll last as long as the dev's attention span. Its great to have choice but making frankengames is not a solution. Fighting to get a player base out of an existing 100 competitive players is not a solutions for long term success.

Oh well good luck I guess....

(06-29-2014, 01:51 PM)machine! Wrote: I like how esreality take this game more seriously than stuff like Project Nex.

For them its easier to stand in a circle and ejaculate in each others faces about how amazing strafe jumping is. Its like A lover in a relationship who only wants missionary and doesn't want to try anything new.

Them nicking your weapons and doing like nothing tot hem pisses me off even more. At LEAST pretend to try to make a game.

(07-01-2014, 09:37 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: Them nicking your weapons

You cant say it about GPL content. Most of weapon models came to xonotic from Nexuis classic

(07-01-2014, 11:41 PM)extone Wrote:
(07-01-2014, 09:37 PM)PrettyAwesome Wrote: Them nicking your weapons

You cant say it about GPL content. Most of weapon models came to xonotic from Nexuis classic

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if your point is that we shouldn't blame others just copying our weapon models since we ourselves "took" them from Nexuiz, too, then let me remind you that Xonotic is in fact the successor of Nexuiz so we kinda inherited those models rather than "taking" them.

But of course you are free to take any content from Xonotic including weapon models provided you adhere to the GPL license such content was released under. I personally have absolutely no problem with what you're doing, I think it looks interesting and I like the looks of the qfusion engine. However, given the lack of players, I consider building a community around a free arena FPS the biggest challenge and unless you know some magic around attracting new players I fear just making a very good game isn't enough to lead it to success. That's why I am rather sceptical about whether you'll be able to keep that project up - but good luck from me!
My Xonstats Profile

(07-02-2014, 03:51 AM)Halogene Wrote: I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if your point is that we shouldn't blame others just copying our weapon models since we ourselves "took" them from Nexuiz, too, then let me remind you that Xonotic is in fact the successor of Nexuiz so we kinda inherited those models rather than "taking" them.

As I know (I might be wrong) Xonotic has one particular owner (different from Nexuiz one) what means that this guy can call xonotic any way he want - successor of Reflex or predecessor of Reborn. It also means term inheritance is not applicable here. He just follows GPL terms the same way I do.

My point is I dont actually understand why Nex guys pissed off by Warxon. IMO even existance of Warxon will increase popularity of project Nex and vice versa.

Anyway thanks for your attitude towards Warxon

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warsow 2.0 released with nearly all assets CC-by-SA poVoq 3 4,455 12-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  Xonotic players in Warsow. Finko 18 19,446 02-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Racoon
  Warsow goes 1.0 Micha 24 20,972 08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  Hitler vs Instagib in Warsow Apr0ph1z 9 9,739 12-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Last Post: poVoq