Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerup sound lasting through respawns

I originally wanted to post this in "Delevopement/Suggestion box", but then I realized it belongs here Big Grin

It's something I've been disliking since Nexuiz.

1) You pick up Strength/Speed/Shield, all happy and thrilled;
2) You get killed in the very next second (crap!);
3) You respawn and keep hearing the roaring ringing sound of the powerup, whitch makes no sense, because you don't have it anymore and is just annoyingly reminding you that you haven't been able to use the powerup.

What I suggest?

1) Make the powerup sound stop immediately when player wearing the powerup get killed;
2) Make some short special sound that would play back informing others and the player, that he was killed while wearing a power-up. It's loudness should depend on how long the powerup have been used. The loudest would be immediate death after picking up a powerup, near the end of the 30-second period it should be very quiet, very subtle. It would be the sound of the wasted powerup time vapouring from the player Wink It could add some thrill and rewarding feedback to players killing others who wear a power-up: defeating someone who wears Strength is most of the times a special thing, and a little sound of breaking the powerup, could make it even more fun. Could it become more frustrating? I guess not more than what we have now - the non-stopping sound effect.

I would like to work on such a sound effect, and try to come up with something fitting the present powerup sounds (maybe I'd use them as base).

What do you think?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Its probably just a bug.

(07-01-2014, 10:05 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: Its probably just a bug.

How so? Quad sound is played when quad is picked up. End of story. Implementing what unfa suggests means adding extra code, so it's not a bug but rather a missing feature.

I meant that it was an oversight.

Yes I don't consider this a bug. I guess it works the same way as all other pickup sounds.
They are started and play till they end.

Anybody feels like this could be doable?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Well, it *is* doable I think, because AFAIK QC has control over sound channels. But currently, as you said, it acts like other pickups. This means the powerups need to be handled separately.

I don't code anymore (it's been too long and I have no time) so I'm not up for it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lava Sound Ch4mp 5 5,263 06-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Sound packs weapons and items Beagle 5 6,040 05-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Music Music and Sound forum section discussion unfa 19 27,589 07-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Music Different ambient Noises (sound loops) unfa 0 3,000 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Last Post: unfa
Music 4 wind ambient sound loops for Xonotic unfa 0 3,004 03-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Music Another portion of Forcefield sound loops. unfa 1 3,967 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Wink Extra sound effects for notable frags/games unfa 0 3,253 12-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Music Got a sound for plasma artilerry :D unfa 7 8,362 10-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Music Some new ambient sound porepositions. unfa 1 3,583 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  rushing air sound when player falls a long distance s1lence 13 13,315 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Last Post: s1lence