Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5V5 clan arena co-op

I think one reason Xonotic lacks popularity is that noobs don't feel comfortable in multiplayer. They got owned so easily by experienced players.

Unlike other FPS, Xonotic requires more practice: noobs have to learn to lead their shot because most weapons are not hitscan. noobs have to learn to improve accuracy because players move so fast but most weapons have low fire rate. Noobs have to learn to get used to weapon combo which is rarely seen in conventional FPS. The mastery of these key skills means a difference between win and defeat. So when noobs jump in a server, they are easily owned by more experienced players, and such frustrating experience will prevent them from entering the server again.

So I recommend changing the game type on some servers to 5V5 clan arena, with AI in one side and human players in another side, to creat a coop environment. That will attract more players.

Although Vanilla is hard to learn especially if you never played a game like this but I don't think its the reason there aren't as many players. Except for word of mouth the game isn't officially advertised/promoted anywhere. You need that to get in new players to replace the players that leave for what ever reason.

If you go back to when I started my Camping Rifle FT the was quite a bit more active players, hell my server had 20+ all quit often and ESK was always filled along with DTG and even both of the vehicle servers.

It is summer holidays now and same thing happened last summer when the community got smaller but it did rebound but then died off again. I don't have an answer but if no one really knows about the game the new players vs leaving players will always be skewed.

There's a NIX mutator that I've been meaning to set up a server with which causes the weapons to switch after a certain amount of time. This might be better to introduce people to Vanilla as they will have more time to practice each weapon instead of panicking tying to find the right weapons switch button.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

At DCC we're currently experiencing a comeback of vanilla CTF, with a couple of other active community members we try to keep up the DCC CTF TIME which usually starts in the evening CET time. Just by populating the server with a handful of experienced players we managed to attract a lot of casual players again to DCC, some of them I hadn't seen in a long time but still remember their nicks. I think if you only manage to generate some continuity in server population, you really can build up a small community that, if grown enough, manages to sustain itself.

Vanilla gameplay may be hard to learn, but if you know WHAT to learn the learning curve is very steep. That's why I raise my hat to all those great community members that take their time to show newbies the rope! GOOD JOB you people!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG REPORT] in weapon arena, jet pack fuel is also unlimited zwz 1 415 10-16-2023, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [BOT] Clan Xonotic Fragmovie Mirio 7 16,216 10-20-2014, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Arena Shooters Are Dead node357 71 74,458 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Naruto_9
  Clan Arena Majki 10 8,956 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Last Post: aa
  Lovers Clan Fragmovie Smilecythe 5 7,265 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Last Post: g4spr0m
  And this is why Xonotic is the best arena shooter ever Margret Thatcher 19 19,479 11-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Samual
  Xonotic First CTF 5on5 clan game + Match Report kojn^ 5 8,114 04-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Samual
  BOT Clan Video 2 kuniu the frogg 6 7,616 11-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  Clan Arena server? Rage_ATWM 23 22,655 08-31-2010, 05:04 AM
Last Post: naryl