Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dev should make a status post every week.

I think it would be of great benefit to the players and the project itself if one of the devs (you can take turns) could make a State Of Xonotic post once a week.

This would give people a perception that the project is not dead and moving along, even if its slow updates.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I think once a week isn't enough time for meaningful posts.
That would look like
"State Of Xonotic this week: please see last weeks post."
"State Of Xonotic this week: please see last weeks post."
Hmm, I could write a bot for that Big Grin

Not to discredit the idea, once upon a time, there was the WoxBlox for exactly that.
But I don't believe anyone would have fun doing that again and again... and again (especially every week).
Or maybe you would step up to interview devs and invest some time to compile status updates?
It's always easy to point fingers elsewhere. Just saying.

But for a quick check on what's happening behind the scenes: https://gitlab.com/groups/xonotic

Like this one http://www.xonotic.org/2012/06/wox-blox-...oper-news/ ?

Honestly I think it would be better to find someone who could keep up with the development (e.g. idling in #xonotic on freenode and read the issue tracker) and then summarize if there is any noteworthy contributions. As long of course not one of the devs wants to write about the progress of the whole project.

FWIW Antibody is actually already doing this for stats and other stuff (like howto use his recording utility).

Well it doesn't have to be anything complicated. Even just a Hey were still here....
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(09-06-2014, 10:59 AM)deoxys Wrote: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4599

Well no new users is going to go into a Xonvote poll results revealed! post to find a link to an RSS feed.

The updates should be on the front page of the domain or in the forums. The posts in the News section are old and there's not much news.

This more for new users that come in and dl then discover there's not many games going on especially on the NA servers. If there are regular public updates at least people will see that the game is not dead and might stick around.

(09-06-2014, 10:35 AM)end user Wrote: Well it doesn't have to be anything complicated. Even just a Hey were still here....

The thing is, it is complicated for the people involved in writing the post. Unless you literally mean "hey we're still here" is sufficient.

(09-08-2014, 02:19 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(09-06-2014, 10:35 AM)end user Wrote: Well it doesn't have to be anything complicated. Even just a Hey were still here....

The thing is, it is complicated for the people involved in writing the post. Unless you literally mean "hey we're still here" is sufficient.

Actually I'm serious communication with your user base/community is very important whether its in your hobby/club or real business.

Hey! I'm still here. Big Grin

Seriously though, we need help on this front. It doesn't have to be a developer doing this stuff. Write something and send it to me! I can put it up on the website. One need only watch gitlab and the forums to summarize and make blog posts. I try to update everyone with applicable writings whenever I do something significant, but it does take a bit of time and context switching! Anyone up for writing can ping me on IRC.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(09-08-2014, 02:32 AM)end user Wrote: Actually I'm serious communication with your user base/community is very important whether its in your hobby/club or real business.

Oh absolutely, I completely agree with that. But it also takes time, and it's not as simple as posting a 100 character message every now and then.

Well. i totally agre with this, and yes, "hey we are still here" is good enough, even a weekly trimming of this week updates on git is good enough

Maybe not something like this:

Quote:remote: Counting objects: 36, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (22/22), done.
remote: Total 23 (delta 16), reused 0 (delta 0)
Unpacking objects: 100% (23/23), done.
From git://de.git.xonotic.org/xonotic/xonotic
a4a05f7..a617e7e master -> origin/master
Updating a4a05f7..a617e7e
Fast-forward
misc/builddeps/win32/sdl/bin/SDL2.dll | Bin 1007104 -> 0 bytes
misc/builddeps/win32/sdl/lib/libSDL2.dll.a | Bin 344564 -> 0 bytes
misc/builddeps/win64/sdl/bin/SDL2.dll | Bin 1190400 -> 0 bytes
misc/builddeps/win64/sdl/lib/libSDL2.dll.a | Bin 336914 -> 0 bytes
misc/tools/all/xonotic.subr | 47 +++++++++++++++++++----------------------------
5 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)
delete mode 100755 misc/builddeps/win32/sdl/bin/SDL2.dll
delete mode 100755 misc/builddeps/win32/sdl/lib/libSDL2.dll.a
delete mode 100755 misc/builddeps/win64/sdl/bin/SDL2.dll
delete mode 100755 misc/builddeps/win64/sdl/lib/libSDL2.dll.a
remote: Counting objects: 562, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (242/242), done.
remote: Total 335 (delta 96), reused 332 (delta 93)
Receiving objects: 100% (335/335), 6.70 MiB | 611 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (96/96), completed with 35 local objects.
From git://de.git.xonotic.org/xonotic/xonotic-data.pk3dir
d644d39..8639d6c sev/luma -> origin/sev/luma

But a 1 liner like:

This week process on SD2.dll, libSDL2.dll and luma theme has been done (and maybe and extra by <insert developer name here>

As my teacher of digital image processing says: the user cares a lot about progress, we want to know that things are being done, not just wait and wait without knowing if the program hanged or its close to finish its work.
[Image: 9074.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can we make Xonotic more popular? anoob 29 9,827 10-01-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Trixtoxia
  Status of Xonotic? Cortez666 49 39,806 06-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Last Post: cefiar
  Can I get NA player to post their ping end user 7 8,435 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: end user
  Tips in single player should stay visible a tad longer Margret Thatcher 1 4,299 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Infofoed
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,671 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin