Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viciious' lair on xonotic anyone?

Ok i'll get straight to the point: is anyone interested in bringing to Xonotic the map Viciious' lair from warsow? it is a really balanced and fast ffa/duel map, not too big or too small. I think it would make a great addition to the xonotic map selection.

Let me know what you think.

P.S. I'm asking because I suck at anything involving map creation.
[Image: camo_sig.png][Image: 712339.png]

no

YES

Mine is bigger so I win.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

How should someone decide on that when not having played this map? Post some screenshots and top down view of the layout and I´ll have a look if it is worth it. Wink I need some stuff to work on again!

(09-16-2014, 03:00 AM)Halogene Wrote: YES

Mine is bigger so I win.
(09-16-2014, 05:03 AM)Maddin Wrote: How should someone decide on that when not having played this map? Post some screenshots and top down view of the layout and I´ll have a look if it is worth it. Wink I need some stuff to work on again!

Thank you for the support! Big Grin Ill'get to work to provide extra info on the map.

Would rather see a proper wdm2 remake. Smile

(09-16-2014, 05:03 AM)Maddin Wrote: How should someone decide on that when not having played this map? Post some screenshots and top down view of the layout and I´ll have a look if it is worth it. Wink I need some stuff to work on again!

just what we needed more remakes that's the ticket

I do not plan to remake it. I will have a look at it and maybe it gives me some new ideas. That´s just what I´m hoping for. But lets wait a bit first for the screenshots. Wink

THANK GOD

just look here, if you want:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...dm5+warsow

This is one of the worse choices to port as the size is drastically reduced by the parkour elements in warsow, which allows for much more depth to an otherwise large and plain map. we don't have that

Thanks for the link!

Looking at the videos this map doesn´t seem to be that exciting. I have to agree with deoxys that it probably won´t fit the Xonotic gameplay style. There are various one-ways and narrowed places making it easy to trap players...

I would prefer dm2 over dm5 on Xonotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FpHuoooKYM

ew

Maybe with the right adjustments we can make it work on Xonotic. Also the map size is similar to Furious Heights. Smile

Also here is a screenshot of Viicious' lair when warsow still was in 0.5

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It´s not like you would just copy and paste the map over to Xonotic. It´s possible but meh... we could do better can we? Tongue One thing is sure though: We can learn something from their layout and see how we can use it on our own custom maps. Wink

Personally I think the layout could very well serve as an inspiration. If we were to convert the map to Xonotic, we'd however need to take into consideration that the movement is different in Xonotic, especially more vertical. We'd need more vertical distance and would require some ramps to be placed at strategical points. Other than that I think the map has a pretty decent layout for duels, but I'd of course have to play it in order to evaluate properly :oD
My Xonstats Profile

That is why I think wdm2 would be perfect, it have lots of room for vertical action and quite a few places for ramps.

WE WILL DO BETTER THAN PORT OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK

see: the concepts of creativity & originality

(09-17-2014, 09:32 AM)deoxys Wrote: WE WILL DO BETTER THAN PORT OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK

see: the concepts of creativity & originality

...says someone whose favorite map according to stats is hub.

It's terribly easy to bash down ideas. A port is not per se a bad idea - though a good port is arguably most likely to be found in a clean glass. Just converting a map from another game usually doesn't work out due to different gameplay, but taking an existing concept, refining it and adapting it to the gameplay of Xonotic can result in a very good Xonotic map. I'd be totally open for a good port and see nothing wrong with it.

Also, how come you make a statement on behalf of "we", and who is this "we" that you are representing in that statement?
My Xonstats Profile

i'm not debating semantics; i've explained why original content is better in other threads.

People play hub because of it's familiarity with it's many ports and iterations, and because it's better than Xonotic originals - which i, and other, are actively working to change.

I'm all for more original maps. I love how silentsiege is structured. The Xonotic community has some really talented map makers. No doubt about that. Wdm5, with all the right modifications, could adapt to the xonotic gameplay quite well.

possibly

Wow, didn´t mean to offend anybody. I agree with you Halogene 100% that porting but not copying is the way to do it. No need to be upset! Smile

And deoxys, maybe turning off the capslock would help this conversation. Tongue I think we all are arguing in the same direction...

(09-17-2014, 02:56 PM)Maddin Wrote: Wow, didn´t mean to offend anybody. I agree with you Halogene 100% that porting but not copying is the way to do it. No need to be upset! Smile

And deoxys, maybe turning off the capslock would help this conversation. Tongue I think we all are arguing in the same direction...

True.

So... do we have a verdict?

Speaking for myself I do not have time to port this map, sorry. I have to bring the map Warfare into the repositories and then there is already another map I´m working on. Did I mentioned the texture set too... ? Tongue

Maybe somebody else? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] Drain missing texture bug, anyone who'll fix it? nilyt 5 5,083 05-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Last Post: kristus