Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Splash damage VISUALLY bleeding through surfaces

EDIT: Added a picture

Title is self-explanatory, I think it would be beneficial for explosion effects, etc. to penetrate surfaces to reflect the fact that you can get splash damaged through objects, something that most new players don't immediately catch on.

ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Yes if you manage to make it visible as shockwaves or such.
No if you want to make smoke and flames simply penetrate walls.

In general it is a good idea to give players more feedback about how the game works, definitely something that Xonotic could work on.

I wonder how one could make that visible without looking odd? But generally I agree, yes.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Some kind of shockwave or burst of dust would be nice indeed. Thicker the penetrated surface, smaller the effect obviously though.

(09-19-2014, 04:53 AM)asyyy Wrote: Yes if you manage to make it visible as shockwaves or such.
No if you want to make smoke and flames simply penetrate walls.

In general it is a good idea to give players more feedback about how the game works, definitely something that Xonotic could work on.

I wasn't even thinking shockwaves, but that sounds like an excellent idea as well. What I had in mind was closer to what you didn't want lol which would be explosions going through floors, etc. maybe sending chunks flying out as if the wall or whatever got hit had been seriously damaged for a tiny bit of time. Maybe have that happen followed immediately by some sort of effect that gives the player the impression that the arena sort of repaired itself. I personally think making it look like shrapnel penetrated the geometry would work well for explosive weapons, then use a pulse for the laser, and electrical shockwaves for energy weapons. btw I added a sloppy illustration to my first post.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

This is an interesting idea.

Theres a few ways to do it.

The simplest being a separate, solids penetrating, effect thats fairly discrete compared to the main one. So it would be noticeable on the "other side" but not interfere much with the bigboomyboom. Theres if the issue scaling to fit damage radius, but all effects has that.

More fancy way would be running a few backtraces from the rim of the explosion radius. If those hits solid, play some effect there. This way automatically solves the scaling issue, but costs more CPU time. Could (and should) be done client side though, so it should not be too bad. Could be extended for playing alternate sound effects too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xonotic accessibility for visually inpaired people stasp 4 2,585 10-07-2020, 07:23 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [BUG] Sniper Rifle Can Shoot Through Walls Space Ace 3 2,812 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Julius
  [SUGGESTION] Updating damage indicator on damage instead of creating another indicator rafallus 1 2,123 10-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Bringing back a few assets from Nexuiz as well as digging through the maps section Lee_Stricklin 1 3,616 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Machinegun damage [AP]Sniperz 18 17,064 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon damage Damasco 17 14,398 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: ShuffleShot
  [SUGGESTION] Distribution through Steam VNilla 169 144,071 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Browsing through map information Mirio 1 2,808 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  [SUGGESTION] Possibility to get own ip:port through RCON? Akari 0 2,750 11-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Akari
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Damage Gam0rdude 6 6,855 11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste