Create an account

Poll: Matchmaking system?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I want this
55.56%
10 55.56%
Don't mind but would like to see efforts put elsewhere
38.89%
7 38.89%
I don't want this
5.56%
1 5.56%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Matchmaking system?

There's been discussion on this before, but I simply want to check what the community think about it at this moment.

Feel free though, of course, to motivate your vote and discuss it.

To make it more clear on the "wants efforts to be put elsewhere", I don't mean to propose that the devs should build this I'm just personally interested in the community's general opinion on this.

What would such a system do?

It would essentially be an "automatic pickup bot." You pick mode and it matches youwith people from same location and similar elo. With current player base it would only be useful for duels or perhaps 2v2 modes, but if we just get 20-30 active players in the future it could be very convinient way to play and potentialöy allow new players to be matched with other new players in vanilla mode.

I can't see why anyone would be against such a thing. Its of course the usual question of who will program, but aside from that it sound cool and useful.

EDIT:
I won't vote since my vote would be: "I don't mind this, but as a casual player i don't care either" Tongue

Yeah, there is no one to do such a thing.

I think its a good idea but theres not enough players to make it work effectively imo.
[Image: 38443.png]

(09-20-2014, 12:39 PM)SPLAT Wrote: I think its a good idea but theres not enough players to make it work effectively imo.

Yeah, the only potential I see in this currently is for duels.

For the record, someone named IDWMaster approached us about this a while ago, was made part of the extended Xonotic team, started working on a lobby / matchmaking system, then I stopped hearing from him.

Yep, I would like to see IRC pickup integrated somehow to involve public players.
I bet it would have a positive effect on the playerbase. But this is "future stuff" not critical now.

Xonotic doesn't have enough players to make it worthwhile and I would only see that genuinely useful for duel mode. I would rather spend the effort teaching new/unaware players how to use IRC.

It would be added on the assumption that there would at some point be more players I suppose Smile You can't really start adding the matchmaking system once those hords of players have arrived, you would be too late.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I agree with you PinkRobot. Thanks everyone for the feedback, I've started working on it and will post when I have some noteworthy progress.

(09-21-2014, 07:07 AM)machine! Wrote: I agree with you PinkRobot. Thanks everyone for the feedback, I've started working on it and will post when I have some noteworthy progress.

Are you in contact with the dev team about this? Are you working on the design, or already on actual code?

(09-21-2014, 12:10 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Are you in contact with the dev team about this? Are you working on the design, or already on actual code?

I'm not in contact with the dev team (should I?). No substantial amount of code have been written yet.

If your aim is for this to be made a part of the game, then yes, you should talk to the team. Design should be discussed before implementation, otherwise you'll only see conflicting viewpoints after you've started coding, which sure isn't fun. For example, you mentioned something about protocols to me on IRC (I was AFK), but if it's going to require integration with DarkPlaces you might have some requirements on protocols that the DarkPlaces devs are willing to support.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic system requirements needed RaptorFX 50 78,906 07-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Better Singleplayer AND A better pause system satuim 13 14,051 08-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Last Post: satuim
  [SUGGESTION] A small addition to the spawn system Dodge 25 23,933 07-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] XP system for stats cccxd 10 10,335 09-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] extended gravity system hutty 19 18,897 04-11-2012, 02:58 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] Possible matchmaking pitch 4 5,058 03-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Last Post: pitch
  [SUGGESTION] some kind of system to schedule matches/meetups jammo 5 6,604 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM
Last Post: lda17h
  [SUGGESTION] Unified icon system to give info about players unfa 18 22,254 11-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Rust Heart
  [SUGGESTION] Permanent ladder system, raking in-game PGP_Qz 9 14,385 09-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  [SUGGESTION] Voting system in game Mirio 20 18,583 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Roanoke