Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Reversion is the new XPM?

Quote:(kojn, reversioncup thread)
We have decided to use the 0.6 balance instead of 0.7 due to substantial amount of player's who stopped playing due to this. Whilst 0.7 has many changes for the better, there were quite a few who were unhappy with the rather severe balance changes and no longer found the game enjoyable.

Part of the goal of the tournament is to raise awareness of this issue and to help see change happen and move the project forward. Whilst we don't expect Xonotic to just revert back to using the 0.6 balance completely, we would like to see the community being able to shape the balance like in the past, rather than one person.

Seeing reversioncup being quite successful I wonder if this will lead to some semi-official XPM config? As it stands reversion servers are still up and I rather have pugs and tournament consistent through one balance (although that balance may not be the official of the game). Any ideas?

Having had a couple of games on that config, I grew to like some specific aspects of the reversion config, however, not all of them. I would suggest (and promote to the dev team) the following:

1. Apply the reversion cup settings as new default for vanilla and XPM (health/armor pickup restrictions in XPM only ofc), in particular the physics, except for the following two points:
  2. Keep the vanilla Nex damage of 80 as well as the current vanilla switch delay - I think 90 is just too high for a weapon that experienced players can use in any range.
  3. Keep current vanilla Crylink secondary with the exception of making it deal slightly less damage to opponents, but no less to yourself while keeping the same negative push force.

Did the rockets get more powerful in reversioncup settings or did I just get hit more/better when playing with it?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I should've been more clear, I don't intend to make this thread about reversion or vanilla itself, it's solely what will happen for future pugs and tornouaments I'm interested in. I personally prefer 0.8 but I rather have consistency than my own opinion being fullfilld. Pugs and torunaments needs same config obvisouly otherwise you can't prac for tourneys.

Oh I see, well it is up to the people that organize the pugs and tournaments I suppose.
My Xonstats Profile

(10-15-2014, 07:29 AM)Halogene Wrote: Having had a couple of games on that config, I grew to like some specific aspects of the reversion config, however, not all of them. I would suggest (and promote to the dev team) the following:

1. Apply the reversion cup settings as new default for vanilla and XPM (health/armor pickup restrictions in XPM only ofc), in particular the physics, except for the following two points:
  2. Keep the vanilla Nex damage of 80 as well as the current vanilla switch delay - I think 90 is just too high for a weapon that experienced players can use in any range.
  3. Keep current vanilla Crylink secondary with the exception of making it deal slightly less damage to opponents, but no less to yourself while keeping the same negative push force.

Did the rockets get more powerful in reversioncup settings or did I just get hit more/better when playing with it?

The decreased nex switch delay was almost universally agreed upon as a better change that almost every player, competitive or otherwise welcomed.

Rockets are 80 and nex is 90 dmg in rev cfg, as opposed to 70/80 in 0.7 and 0.7 XPM. I'm for keeping these settings, especially on RL.

Except for maybe decreasing the damage on crylink slightly, the rev crylink was utilized much more than in 0.7, and i see no reason to change it back, since it is practically the same except without the barely used secondary.

there are several other ideas being discussed and tested around atm for official merging

EDIT: opinions above apply to both my opinion on XPM and 0.8 balance, however without arc the application to 0.8 is kind of limited. we'll see

The 0.7 crylink secondary is a very interesting tool, however it deals a bit too high damage given the drastic effect it has on other people's movement. I'd hate to see that go, 0.6 crylink secondary on the other hand is barely useful at all.

Where does discussion and testing "for official merging" take place?
My Xonstats Profile

The main idea was to develop a balance config based on player input. It is not finished yet and in future cups different settings might be tested, e.g. a different crylink secondary or heavier armor. Thus, the testing takes places within tournaments. Discussion takes place on the forum and at #reversioncup on irc.

Crylink primary better off without splash damage and simultaneous detonation, then added more damage to each projectile imo.

For Rocket Launcher I'd like to see some splash dmg swapped to direct hit dmg.

Also welcome to any server admins etc to upload configs for test games Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,141 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Reversion Balance - Feedback / Suggestions asyyy 0 3,248 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  [SUGGESTION] XPM Suggestions machine! 4 5,948 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Last Post: mudkip