Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I gotten back to playing Xonotic again... where's the Vanilla servers?

It has been a few years since I've last played Xonotic. (I see not much has changed) I've gotten back to that game again, because of a "silly reason," I went from Windows 8 to Linux Mint. And because of this cool frag movie I spotted on YouTube:
Xonotic - Prepare to Respawn - Community Movie 2 …: http://youtu.be/2CT9MpUMdVk

I admit it's a pretty fun game to come back to every once in a while. It's like the elements of Quake and Unreal Tournament combined.

However, it seems it is hard to find a game now compared to in the past. Meaning there are hardly any players online during peak hours (right after work). And if there are players available to play against, all I come across is Instagib servers with silly mods. It is hard to find a decent vanilla CTF or DM server.

I was wondering if it is possible (if not already) that there is a forum topic out there dedicated in scheduling a game night where Xonotic players meet up to play an hour or two in variety of Vanilla style game modes? (and If there is a Skype, Google Hangouts, Mumble, or teamspeak server out there for gaming — that is even better!]

I really to practice on my FPS-Twitch based skills. Yeah, I kind of do that in Open Arena. But the gameplay mechanics doesn't match up compared to Xonotic!

Edit: Ok, nvm. It wasn't a few years since I last played it. But it sure felt like it. Also, I was reminded from my old post that instagib is more popular (I keep thinking this is Open Arena community or something). But still! Do we have a dedicated topic in scheduling game nights for vanilla-varied game modes?

IRC QuakeNet #xonotic.pickup

Yeah, most games get organized via #xonotic.pickup on quakenet (if you don't have an irc client, use http://webchat.quakenet.org -> join #xonotic.pickup)

I'd love to spawn some vanilla ctf action, but my attempts to set up a DCC CTF TIME regularly failed quite badly, after I was away for a week once seemingly no one was interested any more :o/
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Oh cool! Thank you for the irc link! I'm busy seeing family and stuff this week/end. But next week I'll be ready to play!

Shouldn't this irc Xonotic.pickup be advertised to newbie players in the front page? Like, "Want to organize a game? Click here!"

Valid point, I've seen a lot of new players not knowing about IRC. I'll pick it up and discuss with dev team.
My Xonstats Profile

Human beings are sociable animals. Try staying for a while in an empty server: This will make them come to you! That's what I used to do back in days.

I'll add a link to the pickup IRC channel on the front page as soon as I can.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(12-02-2014, 02:23 PM)Antibody Wrote: I'll add a link to the pickup IRC channel on the front page as soon as I can.

How about a notifier maybe a tray program/icon or something like Terminal Overload has http://www.terminal-overload.org/playerg...layeralert.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

The link to pickup channel is already up for a couple of days, just saying. Check the end of the "Community" section on the front page.
My Xonstats Profile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Playing multiplayer? ibba3 7 7,060 04-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Harsh observation of things that will hold this game back Lee_Stricklin 18 21,234 07-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Heart Playing Xonotic for charity Antibody 5 5,084 03-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  Japanese or Korean etc. players/servers? poVoq 8 8,518 07-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  Update: Xonotic North America Servers nvz 10 10,585 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Mossepo
  Strenx playing Xonotic for first time :) zeroql 10 12,153 06-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Who is the best attacker in CTF (vanilla)? Mirio 11 9,306 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Archer
  Teamspeak and/or mumble servers to use for Xonotic? rocknroll237 7 9,836 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  elo again frostwyrm333 5 3,991 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
Music It's back, the Xonotic Bot Orchestra! (was: Coming soon...) divVerent 128 127,731 01-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: divVerent