Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toxikk - Arena FPS

Hi guys and girls,

http://toxikk.com/

Just wondering who else has pre-ordered the beta/early access from here?

So far I know, myself, asyyy, finko, draelor will be playing.

Anyone else? Smile

Just wondering which Xonoticans will be trying the game out.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Me Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

Hmmm don't looks to good for me...HAIL XON
[Image: 22172.png]

I'm looking forward to trying out the flamethrower and double-barreled shotgun in it Smile

Was quite excited but now when there is some gameplay up it seems like, well, shit. Map designs reminds me of Call of duty-esque games and movement looks even stranger than strafe jumping.

(12-08-2014, 01:49 PM)machine! Wrote: Was quite excited but now when there is some gameplay up it seems like, well, shit. Map designs reminds me of Call of duty-esque games and movement looks even stranger than strafe jumping.

You can never pull any conclusions before actually playing it Wink

From what I have seen so far, movement is going to be exactly like UT2004, so if you have played that you know what to expect for a bit:

The map design seems to be more a combo of UT2004 and UT3 map design, especially the one in the video above has a similar theme to UT3 dark and gritty maps. The big outside ones look more like UT2004 onslaught maps.

So if you're not familiar with any UT game then yeah, this is going to be weird as hell.

Pretty game, the movement video brings back memories from my very basic experiences with Unreal Tournament (sadly only 2k4 and ut3), where I very much missed the fluent, ninja-acrobat like movement of Xonotic and felt gravity pulling on me all the time and too much instead. I can very well believe that this movement offers diversity and skills to be obtained in the gameplay (provided the weapons really fit to this), but it will not be something that I will be tempted to buy as I'm addicted to Xonotic's super-fluent movement. But for those that like Unreal Tournament movement, this could probably be very attractive.

I especially like their approach to charge for the game up front and not to try to sneak money out of the player's pockets later on with fancy add-ons or even gameplay relevant items. Actually I find it depressing that this is a concept actually worth advertising, but I'm not very compatible to today's game marketing techniques in the first place, it seems.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

if I paid for any other games then I would have to kill my two Xonotic server boxes. Now we wouldn't want that.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

[Image: aaw7R1W.jpg]

I preordered it. Gameplay wise, it looks like a spiritual successor to UT2k4 with one or two things taken from Halo and Starsiege: Tribes.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

To me it looks like they're just following the footsteps of all the mistakes UT3 did... Two years ago I would have bought it out on a whim, but now that UT4 is coming out I'd rather be playing the real deal. However since UT4 is going to be free, my money goes for Reflex.

(12-08-2014, 05:41 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: To me it looks like they're just following the footsteps of all the mistakes UT3 did... Two years ago I would have bought it out on a whim, but now that UT4 is coming out I'd rather be playing the real deal. However since UT4 is going to be free, my money goes for Reflex.
If that's going to be the case, they were jinxed from the beginning, same engine Big Grin

(12-08-2014, 05:41 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: To me it looks like they're just following the footsteps of all the mistakes UT3 did... Two years ago I would have bought it out on a whim, but now that UT4 is coming out I'd rather be playing the real deal. However since UT4 is going to be free, my money goes for Reflex.

To be fair, a two copy version of toxikk costs $25 so about £8 each split between two people. Reflex cost me £7....and reflex barely has anything at the minute, I don't see that being done (if it does get done) for a long time, even playable version for quite sometime - I mean with textures, netcode, more maps, proper art, proper menu, proper options which is has none of yet).

I hear all these people hyping reflex up, but it's just a competitive gamers game, can say otherwise but games should never be made purely for competition to be honest, the original arena/fps game's were not, competitive communities were made out of them. I think it's just a bad idea long-term. On the plus side, reflex's movement system seems really neat, loads of different moves, for a defragger it should be a wet dream for them.

Hmm seems not that impressive for me as said before.I prefer the constant fast gameplay of Xon.

(I just thinked over the post before and i just wrote it wrong sometimes.)

You can always play both! Tongue I look forward to try all these new FPS titles, but I doubt they will ever replace Xonotic for me, because its much more than just a game.

(12-09-2014, 08:37 AM)machine! Wrote: You can always play both! Tongue I look forward to try all these new FPS titles, but I doubt they will ever replace Xonotic for me, because its much more than just a game.

I think Xonotic is more than a game for all of us here Smile

(12-09-2014, 08:15 AM)Empire|Strife™ Wrote: Well,I don't barely care about Toxikk or Reflex.Both don't look that good,there is no love in it it seems for me.When i look at Xon instead,i see a game with a LOT of work and love from the very little dev team.And not only i see all the effort,no these devs are also nice and play with the community.I don't really think that will happen in Toxikk or Reflex.(I don't know but i think it will be like that)
Now Reflex is not even near to a game that looks like it is playable.And Toxikk looks just like Titanfall (Except for that there are no titans) which failed too.

Now we look at Xonotic,a game that is still far away from finished,but has more quality than much other games.It plays really great,and has a little,but active fanbase.There is much content,such as different modes,mutators,a good menu with much customization,different player models much weapons and so on.....And you know what?All that is for free!

Or short version:Xonotic is better.Stay with it. Big Grin

Lolling at comparison between Titanfall and Toxikk... What next, comparing Doom to Call of Duty?

Still don't understand how you can judge a game before it comes out, but okay.

Some mixed opinions here.

Strife, if you take a look at there forums you will see the devs do put a lot of work in. Some of there original suggestions/ideas on some things seemed questionable at best, however with community feedback they changed them and they do listen and communicate with the forum dwellers. Also on the note of playing, they are currently and saying there having a blast.

Anyhow, I'm happy I bought it and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'd agree the gameplay trailer doesn't look mesmorizing to some people, did you ever see Nexuiz's official gameplay videos? The person playing made it look equally bad.

I dont think you can read much into it, will obviously be a lot faster once players produce videos showing the mechanics of the movement against other opponents.

Anyway good to see a few people here are going to try it and reflex out, one of the issues these days is writing a game off completely before even trying it out.

(12-09-2014, 11:39 AM)Archer Wrote:
(12-09-2014, 08:15 AM)Empire|Strife™ Wrote: Well,I don't barely care about Toxikk or Reflex.Both don't look that good,there is no love in it it seems for me.When i look at Xon instead,i see a game with a LOT of work and love from the very little dev team.And not only i see all the effort,no these devs are also nice and play with the community.I don't really think that will happen in Toxikk or Reflex.(I don't know but i think it will be like that)
Now Reflex is not even near to a game that looks like it is playable.And Toxikk looks just like Titanfall (Except for that there are no titans) which failed too.

Now we look at Xonotic,a game that is still far away from finished,but has more quality than much other games.It plays really great,and has a little,but active fanbase.There is much content,such as different modes,mutators,a good menu with much customization,different player models much weapons and so on.....And you know what?All that is for free!

Or short version:Xonotic is better.Stay with it. Big Grin

Lolling at comparison between Titanfall and Toxikk... What next, comparing Doom to Call of Duty?

Still don't understand how you can judge a game before it comes out, but okay.

As i said just my opinion,but look at both and say that they don't look a little bit similar.
I may not be right,but yeah.

(12-09-2014, 12:04 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Some mixed opinions here.

Strife, if you take a look at there forums you will see the devs do put a lot of work in. Some of there original suggestions/ideas on some things seemed questionable at best, however with community feedback they changed them and they do listen and communicate with the forum dwellers. Also on the note of playing, they are currently and saying there having a blast.

Anyhow, I'm happy I bought it and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'd agree the gameplay trailer doesn't look mesmorizing to some people, did you ever see Nexuiz's official gameplay videos? The person playing made it look equally bad.

I dont think you can read much into it, will obviously be a lot faster once players produce videos showing the mechanics of the movement against other opponents.

Anyway good to see a few people here are going to try it and reflex out, one of the issues these days is writing a game off completely before even trying it out.

Try what you want for sure,maybe if the game is completed,it can be good,but for now it don't looks real good.

Ok,i don't know if my comment here will be correct when both games are complete.I AM JUST THINKING THAT IT MAY BE LIKE THAT I AM NOT SURE.
Maybe,i am wrong and both or one of them will be great,i am just not really sure about that.

That game looks awesome! But is it available for Linux?

I read and watched few more videos and topics about the Toxikk project and.. Sorry, only good quality I see and hear about it so far is that it just looks pretty, I mean really.. People are mostly just talking about how good it looks. That's mostly achieved by the engine too and sadly that's the only thing the engine has history of being good for, I really hope they didn't inherit UE3's input and performance issues as well... otherwise I feel sorry for anyone who pre-ordered the game.

Weapons looks very uninspired and movement is quite identical to UT universe, well.. the flamethrower thing is "new". One thing that they got right is marketing, it's beyond me how well it's being received especially with UT4 pounding and forging it's comeback in the background, again the similarity with UT would of been fine 2 years ago, but now it's just in the way.

People seems to be having a blast no matter what game it is, it's not really guaranteeing any desired experience for the intended/claimed target audience, I mean they went ahead and said that there'd be no bullshit and that's a quite arrogant leap of confidence. I don't like to write games off so harshly, but I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with this much cinematic effects in video games. I could see myself trying it out, but not playing for very long.

I don't get why your going so overboard about the graphics getting in the way attitude.

Any game can be just as bad, just turn the details down?

I love how toxikk's weapon's are uninspired, yet reflex's differ so very Smilecythe?

toxikk atleast has a double-barelled shotgun, even if it turns out crap that's a redeeming quality for me! Big Grin

(12-11-2014, 04:10 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: I read and watched few more videos and topics about the Toxikk project and.. Sorry, only good quality I see and hear about it so far is that it just looks pretty, I mean really.. People are mostly just talking about how good it looks. That's mostly achieved by the engine too and sadly that's the only thing the engine has history of being good for, I really hope they didn't inherit UE3's input and performance issues as well... otherwise I feel sorry for anyone who pre-ordered the game.

Weapons looks very uninspired and movement is quite identical to UT universe, well.. the flamethrower thing is "new". One thing that they got right is marketing, it's beyond me how well it's being received especially with UT4 pounding and forging it's comeback in the background, again the similarity with UT would of been fine 2 years ago, but now it's just in the way.

People seems to be having a blast no matter what game it is, it's not really guaranteeing any desired experience for the intended/claimed target audience, I mean they went ahead and said that there'd be no bullshit and that's a quite arrogant leap of confidence. I don't like to write games off so harshly, but I don't think I'll ever get comfortable with this much cinematic effects in video games. I could see myself trying it out, but not playing for very long.

Yeah, first thing I'm gonna do is turn off or tone down the ridiculous bloom. Shame this wasn't made on UE4 though, mouse input is considerably better there now after they fixed some problems with it.

(12-11-2014, 04:31 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I don't get why your going so overboard about the graphics getting in the way attitude.

Any game can be just as bad, just turn the details down?
First of all, visibility and excessive screen detail is one of the major reasons why UT3 died amongst the fans and secondly I'm not going overboard, the modern engines that run that many effects are very often not designed or optimized to NOT run them. That's the deal you get nowadays with good looking games. It depends on the game though, UE3 games are often very limited in that regard. I've tried cracking the config for smoother performance in various UE3 games, but nothing seems to boost visibility/performance significantly.

Typical UE3 game issues:
-Lowering resolution doesn't improve FPS rate at all.
-Misaligned screen/hud for lower resolutions.
-Turning off effects turns them off visually, but the strain of the effect doesn't go anywhere for some reason.
-Every imaginable mouse input issue. It's a lottery which and how many of them everyone gets, lucky ones get none.
-Capped FPS or refresh rate.

I read that Toxikk supposedly uses an improved UE3 engine, but yet again I've heard improvements for nothing but visuals so far.

(12-11-2014, 04:31 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I love how toxikk's weapon's are uninspired, yet reflex's differ so very Smilecythe?

toxikk atleast has a double-barelled shotgun, even if it turns out crap that's a redeeming quality for me! Big Grin
For the arena shooter niche, it's always a battle between UT copies and Quake copies, nothing else just doesn't seem to survive. Reflex is obviously a Quake copy, but it doesn't have an 95% identical rival project developed by a wealthy high reputation company in the background and hasn't had for 9 years. Besides, Reflex is not only a new game, it's also a new engine and they got a stake gun, enough said.

One of the main issues is that people write off a game before it's even out these days.

Another main issue is (seems to be the quake players/fanboys rather then UTers), if a game has any different weapons.
The issue then is 'no LG lols' etc etc. Then if a game puts the same style weapons in 'just a clone of quake' 'weapons look uninspired' etc.

For me it's competitive quake players demanding the same, if its not then it will automatically suck, or if its not being made by a competitive gamer then it will suck.

Reborn for example, people saying it will be brilliant, based on what? Im not saying it wont be if it get's made but there is literally no footage of it and limited information.

It's the mindset that is part of the problem these days of gamers, rather then developers.

Now you get a game like toxikk that has been in development for 2 years, some basic videos released, a trailer, beta release date now announced. Ok we don't know how it plays yet but the devs talk a lot about polishing the game, they have talked about lots of options for mouse input, they atleast give the impression they have worked on some past UE3 issues. There also not catering purely for competitive players, rather that there aiming it to be a fun game to play, which is possibly part of the reason it's been received well so far.

Out of all the 'new' arena fps games mentioned here, toxikk is the furthest down the line, which is another reason it's probably being received well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New FPS fan website MarisaG 4 5,220 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Is Open Source Multiplayer FPS as a whole dying? Danfun64 9 9,962 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Arena shooters in a nutshell Smilecythe 0 3,341 08-28-2016, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Wink Splatoon, Cause Nintendo Can FPS Too Orbiter Sunblast 2 4,478 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  Cool new FOSS multiplayer FPS (Terminal-Overload) poVoq 22 33,754 10-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Seems there's a resurgence in high speed and arena FPS games now Lee_Stricklin 12 23,468 09-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Arena Gladiator Fights are dead! aa 0 3,155 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Last Post: aa
  Your history as a fps-player? xvlL 30 23,651 07-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Last Post: Evropi
  Does playing Arena shooters like Xonotic make you better at slower paced games? Shadowman84 6 8,962 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Mepper
  PC focused, fast-paced, mmo-ish FPS from DOOM/Quake dev W4RP1G 8 9,860 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin