Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IRON MAN Cup Idea - work in progress

IRON MAN cup? Sounds like a very... "Stark" name.

Puns aside, hope this goes well, it certainly is an interesting idea.
[Image: 230.png]

I think iron man is a pun on iron man marathon. Wink

(12-14-2014, 04:43 AM)JoeMaro Wrote: So what are the 2 most representative and played duel maps on Xon?

Stormkeep and (sadly) hub-aerowalk. If you don't want to include hub (which I hope) there are a few options: fuse, downer, finalrage, silent siege, warfare (hope I didn't miss one). I would recommend fuse, a lot of people like it, though my biased opinion leans towards final rage. Smile

QuakeWorld will propably put aerowalk so i guess its better to not put it in xonotic's mappool Smile

Stormkeep and Final Rage are more of a Nexuiz thing, downer is a remix too but it's 70% different from the original, Warfare is some old unknown Quakeworld custom map which looks agreeably prettier in Xonotic.

On Machine's list only Fuse and Silentsiege are original well balanced Xonotic duel maps. I'd go with Fuse, Stormkeep and Silentsiege in this exact order of opinion based priority, so if it's just two then Fuse and Stormkeep.

Smile

Well, I count Nexuiz Classic originals as Xonotic originals. Tongue

With the response being as it is in Xonotic and over at Warsow as far as I can see, I believe we'd be better off for a start (!) with making it a free for all deathmatch session with a couple of matches per game on a given date, and calculate overall rankings among the people that participated in all matches afterwards. We might get enough players to fill a deathmatch server and after all in deathmatch it's far less about map knowledge and physics exploits than in duel, where a "home bonus" will easily result in total domination (I couldn't even IMAGINE myself scoring a frag against anyone at least half way competitive in quakeworld on hub). I think such a tournament would be far easier to pull off and would also be more attractive to players, since chances are you can actually score at least some frags in a deathmatch if you have some solid basic fps skills.

Team based competition sounds sort of cool, but then again I fear it would rather deepen the divide between player communities in the end. Obviously we'd mostly have teams coming entirely from ONE game community, which means we'd then have direct rivalries between the game communities. And I don't trust in the spirit of sportsmanship to prevent conflicts resulting from these rivalries. IMHO team based competition would ONLY make sense if we would build up teams consisting of players from each game community, but how to set THAT up reliably?

If we are going to make it a duel cup despite the concerns I raised above, I'd vote for Fuse, Stormkeep and SilentSiege as map pool, agree to Smilecythe here.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Ok nice! Thanks Guys!
Anybody very much against Fuse & Stormkeep speak now ...

@Halogene: read your post after posting myself Smile yes i also like the idea and dont really know yet what to think about it ... Smile lets talk these days on IRC

Also a FFA deathmatch session would probably be suited better to "get to know" players that one has never seen before - it feels easier for most to make a first contact if you are not dominated/raped in your first encounter.
My Xonstats Profile

we could also use the FFA results to rate/seed the players for a duel cup no?

If and to the extent the participants of the Duel cup also participated in the FFA deathmatch cup, yes. I think such a deathmatch feast would be a good test run to see if people actually pick up on the idea in general.
My Xonstats Profile

I would be against fuse and silentsiege.

Your better off putting stormkeep and downer in, silentsiege did not make it to the reversion duel cup and it isnt greatly liked by a lot of players.

I would say Stormkeep, downer and final_rage (with choosing between either of the last two as the second map).

Also FFA would make sense, if it was to be for example 2v2tdm that would be ok also but it would be better to mix n match competitors from different games or it will just as Halogene said turn into a rape fest for peoples favoured game.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I see no issues with silentsiege's gameplay, would be interesting to hear what actually is bad about it apart from reversion people preferring other maps. Aren't both downer and final_rage remakes of some classic maps from another game? I'd use the opportunity to showcase good original Xonotic maps or at least good original Nexuiz maps inherited by Xonotic. Fuse for example is an excellent duel map with a lot of vertical action (which fits perfectly with Xonotic's movement).
My Xonstats Profile

I love the idea. Looked only quickly over the details in the replies, but I think the thought of bringing together the different game communities is a splendid idea..
formerly known as lda17h

+1 on "native" xonotic maps that ship with the download

(12-15-2014, 05:45 AM)kojn^ Wrote: I would be against fuse and silentsiege.
Maps where you get asskicked in.

(12-15-2014, 05:45 AM)kojn^ Wrote: silentsiege did not make it to the reversion duel cup and it isnt greatly liked by a lot of players
You hosted the cup and well.. ugh it's certainly more liked than Fe26.

(12-15-2014, 05:45 AM)kojn^ Wrote: I would say Stormkeep, downer and final_rage (with choosing between either of the last two as the second map).
All your favorite maps

Big Grin gg

Quote:it's certainly more liked than Fe26.
Quote:Maps where you get asskicked in.
Quote:gg

Not that your suggestions were less biased Smileycythe, I would say go with Stormkeep and fuse, they are both popular and repreasentive.

Today there is a duel cup happening on warsow. Will put the stream later ... On mobile now
Stream will be by Jehar and Inane @ tastyspleen.tv - URL: http://tastyspleen.tv/ Smile

btw: IronMan-Cup Homepage with a bit of Guides it running at http://ironmanduelcup.wordpress.com/welcome/
missing a xonotic guide ... hoping for halogene? Wink

6 weeks later:

i still love the idea but dont have the experience to admin this thing alone Smile
But there is no need to rush ... for now the idea is out here and we'll see what happens!
HF!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ZenSports x RJZ 2v2 TDM cup #1 RazorDodger 0 1,235 08-18-2021, 02:12 PM
Last Post: RazorDodger
  [FEFU] Xonotic LAN Duel Cup AriosJentu 1 2,170 10-12-2020, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  ZenSports mock Duel Cup kanyeshrayz 0 1,813 09-23-2020, 04:57 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  ZenSports Xonotic Duel Cup 5.000.000 SPORTS prize. kanyeshrayz 2 4,186 09-17-2020, 06:13 PM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
Star DOXA TOURNAMENT - Xonotic 2020 DUEL CUP zeroql 24 16,073 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: zeroql
  3v3 CTF/Insta+Hook Cup Sl@va 7 5,454 03-03-2019, 04:48 AM
Last Post: Sl@va
  2v2 TDM Cup | RJZ Cups ccCam 3 3,166 01-31-2019, 10:05 PM
Last Post: wxyzzyrd
  Ch4mp's Xonotic Duel Cup #1 PayTheBill 1 2,876 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  LETS GO SLAP ONLY CUP! thimo 3 2,693 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Last Post: Lightbringer
  Xonotic World Cup Series Major #2 Mirio 15 10,146 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Mirio