Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Console during map-change

As you may know, if you connect to a server or the map is changed you see the open console for a few seconds. I've not tested any Xonotic GIT yet, but if this feature is still there, I suggest to replace the visible console with a map picture or just the xonotic logo.

Imo the open console looks a bit unprofessional for the average user.

but thanks to this feature you can have a conversation while downloading the map Smile
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

ya its because xonotic is for 1337 haxx0r$ and there must be a console XD

(06-01-2010, 04:25 AM)-Lo- Wrote: I suggest to replace the visible console with a map picture or just the xonotic logo.
-Lo-, consider the background picture for the loading process says "loading...", so the average user can have a hint that the system is loading.
Additionally, unless some serious progress bar mechanism is implemented, the console may show some messages regarding the loading process and/or related problems.

(06-01-2010, 04:25 AM)-Lo- Wrote: Imo the open console looks a bit unprofessional for the average user.

Mh, I had never thought the console could be unprofessional, but it's true that some users tend to misinterpret it as a problem (and/or hate to read things, but that's their problem IMHO).

I mean, whoever needs a console during map change or server connecting (because the status of connecting is displayed for example) could activate this feature optionally.

For me it just doesn't look good. But of course this is nothing of priority, it's just another little suggestion.

I have a non-technical savvy friend, who often makes remarks about the "unprofessional appearance" of consoles and text based user interfaces, particularly with regards to games.

Although I support the control this gives to the user, think that a more suitable alternative could be the use of loading.tga in front of an x colour background, where all of the graphical functions (ie, messagemode & scoreboard) are available, as well as a smaller, frame-less console showing output for debugging purposes.

Here's a mockup: http://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/ind...bf68e9c1fc (ty Mockingbird Big Grin)

Edit: Perhaps a CVar to control whether it shows console on map download?
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I always thought the console was frickin' cool.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Here would be my mockup...
[Image: co5mi0os1fgxbkw1wkvj_thumb.png]
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Something like that would be sweet FrutieX..me likes the font. Good idea Lo Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

It would be nice to be able to see the scoreboard (as in clanclanclan's mockup) while downloading a map.
[Image: 769.png]

Perhaps this loading screen could show 'tips' and what not. Just bits of information that might help out new players or be of general interest.

Info on movement, ways to use weapons etc. or even little bits of fiction about the different characters/playermodels/maps.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

I agree, the loading screen should show some basic tips or a short description of a weapon. I might do a small concept when I find some time.

Ideally, I think it should be frutiex's concept, with a screenshot of the map in the background (not scaled up) with a simple scoreboard (with a transparent background so it's always visible) and the loading line should read "Loading [mapname] ([mapfilename]). This would make it clear for newbs and still have use for pros.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

I do think that it should be changed.
I like fuitiex's version a lot.
or even better change fruitiex mockup as follows:
- remove console, show only chat, and a box to enter messages so u don't have to open console and type "say ...." (very good for ppl new to Xonotic who don't know commands).
- show score board as harry_ftw said
- make console available with ~, just like how u can get it in game, so it's available if u want it; not enforced.

- maybe this should be changeable via game settings; i.e. switch between new version and old one.

I think this is one of the things that really should be changed to attract more ppl to Xonotic, Kojin has a thread about this topic.

I definitely think console needs to stay open at map change by default because of error reports, etc.

EDIT: So yes, I agree with FruitieX's idea. I do not agree with XV22 for the reason stated above.

I'm with dib on this one. Console is immensely useful. However, the chat box should not require me to write "say" since it is a chat box.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

I like the look of FruitieX's mockup, was bored so here's that + scoreboard:

[Image: 4zbn1v0kmus9nek1yhv_thumb.png]

(06-01-2010, 10:05 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: I definitely think console needs to stay open at map change by default because of error reports, etc.

I agree that it's important for development to see the console. However i dont agree with "default". How often do you really need these reports if you dont notice anything wrong during a game and the loading doesnt take forever. Imo it's not necessary if you just want to play a few matches - and it doesnt look good.

(06-02-2010, 01:52 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: I like the look of FruitieX's mockup, was bored so here's that + scoreboard:
Too small!

(06-02-2010, 07:04 AM)-Lo- Wrote: I agree that it's important for development to see the console. However i dont agree with "default". How often do you really need these reports if you dont notice anything wrong during a game and the loading doesnt take forever. Imo it's not necessary if you just want to play a few matches - and it doesnt look good.
It's not just reports, you can disconnect from server, connect to other server, etc. etc. It's not an eyesore because it goes with the colors of the background image.

Roanoke Wrote:Too small!

Fixed.

Edit: Oh, and twss

Haven't read through all, but this feature is requested long ago at the dev tracker. Also, you can't chat from console while loading a map, because that allows one o flood the server. It was abused several times in Nexuiz, but afaik this is fixed now. I don't know if this patch is in GIT or not, but on DCC you can't chat to others while loading a map.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

C.Brutail Wrote:Haven't read through all, but this feature is requested long ago at the dev tracker. Also, you can't chat from console while loading a map, because that allows one o flood the server. It was abused several times in Nexuiz, but afaik this is fixed now. I don't know if this patch is in GIT or not, but on DCC you can't chat to others while loading a map.

I've never heard of this happening. Doesn't flood control work regardless of whether the message was entered in the console or while map loads or whatever, or am I getting confused?

I like clan3x's concept, except the scoreboard should have a transparent black bg (like the console/chat area)

(06-01-2010, 10:05 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: I definitely think console needs to stay open at map change by default because of error reports, etc.

EDIT: So yes, I agree with FruitieX's idea. I do not agree with XV22 for the reason stated above.

maybe it should be automatically opened when errors happen then.
and for warnings, I think it can be ignored.

remember that I'm talking from an ordinary user/gamer perspective, I actually do like the console.
And I also suggested that there can be an option to switch back to normal full console display.

It's not making anything worse for anyone this way - I don't understand why it needs to be hidden.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Difficulty met during Translation work, and suggestion NaitLee 3 1,397 08-08-2022, 08:03 AM
Last Post: NaitLee
  [ACCEPTED] Bigger font size in console falco 6 4,984 04-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: -z-
  [SUGGESTION] Change HUD for 0.8 machine! 6 7,020 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Change the clockwatch position/look raffi98 5 6,126 01-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Last Post: sev
  [SUGGESTION] Change x86 march flag to "pentium3" edh 17 20,568 06-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Last Post: edh
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to vote map, gametype and mutators after each map Exitium 13 20,338 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  [SUGGESTION] /tell command instead of console Kryten 7 7,740 06-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [SUGGESTION] Ability to change votes in game Erusavion 36 40,782 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Erusavion
  [SUGGESTION] A suggestion regarding the pants-to-glow change MirceaKitsune 0 3,309 03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune