Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Full corresponding source code for Nexuiz 2.5.2?

I know that Xonotic isn't offiically released yet, and no one here is officially distributing Nexuiz binaries, but I'm hoping someone can help me nonetheless...

Does anyone know where I can get the full corresponding source code for Nexuiz 2.5.2? Browsing the SVN shows a tag for the 2.5.1 release, but nothing for 2.5.2. I can't use the latest development version, because I need the source that matches the binaries that I am distributing, and don't have the ability to easily recompile myself for all the platforms that Nexuiz supports.

I posted a request on the alienTRAP forums (here), but haven't gotten much of a response.

Given that most everyone has jumped off the Nexuiz ship (and rightly so), I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks! And hopefully, we'll have a Xonotic release soon, and the issue will be moot! Big Grin
Tony Lovasco
Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
www.twistedlincoln.com

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nexuiz/files/

Edit: well, I guess you got this far by yourself. For the library sources, I guess your best option is to go to their own web sites (curl, xiph.org, etc) and pick whichever version is best suited for your purposes (the latest usually work as drop-in replacements for the older versions).

(06-01-2010, 06:26 PM)parasti Wrote: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nexuiz/files/

Edit: well, I guess you got this far by yourself. For the library sources, I guess your best option is to go to their own web sites (curl, xiph.org, etc) and pick whichever version is best suited for your purposes (the latest usually work as drop-in replacements for the older versions).

Thanks for the reply. You've highlighted the problem I'm having. I *could* get the source code from each of the various libraries websites. The problem is that in order to comply with the GPL, I have to get the source code for the exact version that I'm distributing binaries of. And there is no easy way to figure that out, nor is hunting down such versions manually practical even if there was a way to know what version I'm looking for.
Tony Lovasco
Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
www.twistedlincoln.com

Maybe I'm missing something but what's wrong with this one?

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/nexuiz/nexuiz-252.zip

md5sum: d750bc328e58df8492f8d88bdcf818cb

(found here: http://alienTRAP.org/nexuiz/downloads)

(06-02-2010, 09:11 PM)-z- Wrote: Maybe I'm missing something but what's wrong with this one?

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/nexuiz/nexuiz-252.zip
(found here: http://alienTRAP.org/nexuiz/downloads)

It has the source code for the engine, but not the various libraries that are distributed in binary form as .dlls for the Windows version.
Tony Lovasco
Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
www.twistedlincoln.com

Just an update: I'm getting a bit of resistence over on the AleinTrap Nexuiz forum about this issue. See my original post for details.

It is my hope that when Xonotic makes its first official release, the developers here do not fall into the same trap as those left at Nexuiz.

I'd be glad to assist in this as much as I can. If I do eventually get an adequate response from the folks at alienTRAP, I'll be sure to post what I find here as well.
Tony Lovasco
Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
www.twistedlincoln.com

Well, this is how open-source projects are usually distributed. There's nothing odd about not distributing the source code of external dependencies to which no changes have been made and which are available publicly. I would be hard-pressed to find a project that makes a point of doing otherwise. It simply isn't practical.

(06-03-2010, 06:24 PM)parasti Wrote: Well, this is how open-source projects are usually distributed. There's nothing odd about not distributing the source code of external dependencies to which no changes have been made and which are available publicly. I would be hard-pressed to find a project that makes a point of doing otherwise. It simply isn't practical.

Just because it isn't convenient doesn't mean it is compliant with the GPL...

Luckily I'm starting to get a bit of help over at the Nexuiz forums. Maybe my original phrasing was a bit too harsh.

EDIT: I've not gotten a complete answer over at the Nexuiz forums. It looks like the situation isn't as dire as I initially thought, and while not an ideal scenario, I've been given a suitable answer that will allow me to legally redistribute Nexuiz. I would still like to strongly suggest that Xonotic provide a better source package when it reaches release stage, to avoid such issues here.
Tony Lovasco
Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
www.twistedlincoln.com

Btw. about the "harsh" reception at the AT forum: that place is simply dead, because most of the ppl who posted there, have came to Xonotic.
Probably the best would have been to go to irc, and ask for help there.
Remember, the Xonotic community is mainly the same as the Nexuiz, and we will help here regardless. We just won't give official alienTRAP support, as we've done previously.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nexuiz server in xonotic browser Cooper Hawks 19 16,345 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] Farewell PCLizard 33 37,345 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Open Source Spotlight: Xonotic ThatDaveCarter 10 9,365 10-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Last Post: sev
  Wish to replace the xonotic music with the music from nexuiz Chromatose 19 19,705 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  Xonotic vs Nexuiz 2.5.2 - Core differences rafallus 13 24,511 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Last Post: hutty
  The best nexuiz videos MDWGUNS 144 138,423 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: PCLizard
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] A unique frag B3RZERK 6 7,405 09-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Comparison between Xonotic and Nexuiz Exitium 34 38,535 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  Graphics: Xonotic VS Nexuiz [WARNING: OFFTOPIC] Exitium 73 97,658 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  An average day in nexuiz australia. ... 11 21,558 02-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Last Post: chooksta