Create an account

Poll: Is this a good idea ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
4 80.00%
No
20.00%
1 20.00%
Maybe
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Suggestions for controls and HUD

I'm probably not the only one having difficulties with controls and HUD when trying to switch weapons, drop something (flag, gun) or send a binded message in chat, so I had ideas idea. Someone may have suggested that before me, and I'm sorry if that's the case. If I'm using the wrong words, tell me.

You should be able to modify weapon key settings. For example, you would have to choose between the normal keys, personalized keys (if I remember correctly it already exists, but instead of always having sniper and nex on 7 and MG on 3, for example, you can put sniper and MG and nex and crylink or something on the same key) and keys that would depend of pick up order (meaning that if you pick up the rocket launcher and then the MG, RL would be on 3 and MG on 4).

Another problem is ammo. If you don't know what ammo type is your weapon, seeing how discrete the meter is, you can get confused. I've seen some people use custom HUDs like the one in this video, and it's truly more noticeable and clear. It should be added to vanilla in my opinion.

For dropping and messages, right now, to use pre-made messages, you have to bind each message to a different key, which can quickly make you run out of place on your keyboard, but it also means you have to remember which key is associated each message/, and you often end up messing up in your binds. In some games like Zelda : Skyward Sword or No More Room in Hell, there is a button to open a circle menu. You have to maintain the button, place the cursor over the option and release. It would be great to have it, as you would have everything on a single key.

I'm not sure if most of this is possible, but it's just a suggestion.

(01-03-2015, 11:34 AM)Denterroquet Wrote: You should be able to modify weapon key settings. For example, you would have to choose between the normal keys, personalized keys (if I remember correctly it already exists, but instead of always having sniper and nex on 7 and MG on 3, for example, you can put sniper and MG and nex and crylink or something on the same key) and keys that would depend of pick up order (meaning that if you pick up the rocket launcher and then the MG, RL would be on 3 and MG on 4).

You can already adapt each weapon bind to your needs, and I would encourage anyone to do so. Check the "input" tab in the settings window of the menu. The current default settings are only there because this is what is being used by FPS traditionally and people expect these keys to be used per default. It is however arguably in no way practical.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(01-03-2015, 03:15 PM)Halogene Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 11:34 AM)Denterroquet Wrote: You should be able to modify weapon key settings. For example, you would have to choose between the normal keys, personalized keys (if I remember correctly it already exists, but instead of always having sniper and nex on 7 and MG on 3, for example, you can put sniper and MG and nex and crylink or something on the same key) and keys that would depend of pick up order (meaning that if you pick up the rocket launcher and then the MG, RL would be on 3 and MG on 4).

You can already adapt each weapon bind to your needs, and I would encourage anyone to do so. Check the "input" tab in the settings window of the menu. The current default settings are only there because this is what is being used by FPS traditionally and people expect these keys to be used per default. It is however arguably in no way practical.

It does force you to always have the same multiple weapons on a single bind however, which is why I gave the example.

Ok, i would like that feature from No More Room In Hell too.
[Image: 22172.png]

(01-03-2015, 03:15 PM)Halogene Wrote: You can already adapt each weapon bind to your needs, and I would encourage anyone to do so. Check the "input" tab in the settings window of the menu. The current default settings are only there because this is what is being used by FPS traditionally and people expect these keys to be used per default. It is however arguably in no way practical.

Problem is though:

A. They suck big time
B. No one actually uses them
C. Its already possible to have two binded keys, so there's no reason to not have 1-9 AND proper keyvbinds

QL have or had good keybinds by default, helped me BIG time when I was starting out with Xonotic!

Ah I seem to have been not reading carefully. I think there is a possibility to address either Vortex (former Nex) OR Rifle with a dedicated bind, there must be some specific "impulse" bind. Let me check... YEP! I found it: the lower impulse commands are for the easier way of selecting, with duplicates on weapons that usually are not together on the same map. If you use an impulse value of 998+, then you always get the direct bind to the specific weapon (Weird number to start that with...). 998 is laser, 999 is shotgun,.... 1013 is Rifle, not Vortex. There you go :o)
My Xonstats Profile

Machine, what sucks big time? The default weapon lists?

I think he means those:

Code:
bind 0 weapon_group_0
bind 1 weapon_group_1
bind 2 weapon_group_2
bind 3 weapon_group_3
bind 4 weapon_group_4
bind 5 weapon_group_5
bind 6 weapon_group_6
bind 7 weapon_group_7
bind 8 weapon_group_8
bind 9 weapon_group_9

Reaching most of those keys is quite hard from wsad, and you usually end up stopping to move for a second, hence being an easy target during a fight. Beside of that, you have to look at your keyboard to press "7" for example (I do at least), and not looking at your screen is a bad idea in a fps.

Using the mousewheel is a good option too, but proper keybinds (meaning, being easy to reach from wsad) would help those who do not have prior quake/ut/warsow experience and are interested to play competitively.

(01-04-2015, 04:58 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Machine, what sucks big time? The default weapon lists?

Yup.

Do you perhaps want to help make them better?

(01-05-2015, 03:54 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Do you perhaps want to help make them better?

Yes, I could. Smile

What do you think about this (no idea if it is even possible from the menu perspective, but I feel like brainstorm right now):

We could collect something like 5 configs from some of the top players that are noticeably different to each other. Then, when you start up the game for the first time, you could be asked whether you would like to load the "default" bind setup or to load the modified bind setup of a given existing high-skilled player. We could then add a "load config" dialog to the input tab where you could browse the existing saved bind configs to "load" or "preview" them (opening a window with the binds list). I think offering configs of existing well-known high-skilled players could have some positive emotional effects on newbies even though they probably don't know those dudes yet.

Note that this should only apply to input configs, not detail or rendering settings or the like (could be added too, but I think that's not really needed given the existing effect presets).
My Xonstats Profile

(01-05-2015, 06:33 AM)Halogene Wrote: What do you think about this (no idea if it is even possible from the menu perspective, but I feel like brainstorm right now):

We could collect something like 5 configs from some of the top players that are noticeably different to each other. Then, when you start up the game for the first time, you could be asked whether you would like to load the "default" bind setup or to load the modified bind setup of a given existing high-skilled player. We could then add a "load config" dialog to the input tab where you could browse the existing saved bind configs to "load" or "preview" them (opening a window with the binds list). I think offering configs of existing well-known high-skilled players could have some positive emotional effects on newbies even though they probably don't know those dudes yet.

Note that this should only apply to input configs, not detail or rendering settings or the like (could be added too, but I think that's not really needed given the existing effect presets).

Actually that idea sounds quite good.
[Image: 22172.png]

Hmm, thinking of it, we might have to include keyboard layout information with it if we ever did this, or provide alternative configs for different layouts...
My Xonstats Profile

Yeah, layouts are an issue. Numeric keys are rather consistent between layouts, but layouts like french AZERTY require pressing shift to access the numbers, which means that those binds don't even work there...

I think a "Quake-like" and a "Default" preset button would be helpful in the key binding menu. Configs of players can be included as a gimmick, id has done that for years. But that is rather useful for those who already have some knowledge of the game and want to try out something new, and not new players.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,987 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Movement + sound related suggestions Smilecythe 13 9,870 12-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] A couple of suggestions Lee_Stricklin 0 2,327 12-05-2016, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] minstagib mechanics & suggestions lister 10 7,925 12-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Last Post: lister
  [SUGGESTION] Change HUD for 0.8 machine! 6 7,020 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Reversion Balance - Feedback / Suggestions asyyy 0 3,248 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] Suggestions and Question GoregeousGuy 7 9,587 09-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] XPM Suggestions machine! 4 5,949 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Last Post: mudkip
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic HUD zeroql 5 5,831 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] Bot suggestions rocknroll237 39 35,633 10-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer