Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FAQ] Buffs

Buffs can be enabled with g_buffs 1 (or in the Mutator menu) and are kind of little powerups. They last until you die or pickup a new one.

Ammo - Infinite ammunition
Bash - Increased knockback force and immunity to knockback
Disability - Attacks to players and monsters deal slowness (decreased movement/attack speed) for a few seconds
Flight - Greatly decreased gravity
Invisible - Carrier becomes invisible
Jump - Greatly increased jump height
Medic - Increased regeneration speed, extra health, chance to survive a fatal attack
Resistance - Greatly reduces damage taken
Speed - Increased movement/attack/health regeneration speed, carrier takes slightly more damage
Vampire - Attacks to players and monsters heal the carrier
Vengeance - Attackers also take damage

Sorry to deprecate your colorful post, but there is a wiki page on them here:
http://smbclan.net/wiki/Buffs
[Image: 230.png]

I think it was good he posted it here, I heard of them but didn't know what they are.

This actually looks VERY cool! Will be very interesting to see what mappers will do of it, certainly will put Xonotic's team modes a bit further from just plain CTF or TDM if they work out in practice! Smile

EDIT: Oh doesn't seem they can be placed by mappers in CTF, well I hope there will be a possibility of doing that. Tongue

(01-13-2015, 10:35 AM)Mario Wrote: Sorry to deprecate your colorful post, but there is a wiki page on them here:
http://smbclan.net/wiki/Buffs

Since it's an official feature, maybe we should also have that page on our wiki?

MoFo shotgun-only server uses them, as do some minsta-hook servers. The jump and flight buffs are worse than useless; they just make you a long lasting target. Invisible doesn't do anything useful or harmful (you're still obvious, especially with your name hovering over you), and I don't think a cloaking mutator is a good idea anyway. People with better screens will have an advantage over those with worse screens.

In particular, I think that for the jump to be useful, a jump power increase and gravity multiplier increase combined would be a better option. You'd still jump the same height or maybe somewhat higher, but you would come down faster.

(01-13-2015, 03:51 PM)TrackPt Wrote: MoFo shotgun-only server uses them, as do some minsta-hook servers. The jump and flight buffs are worse than useless; they just make you a long lasting target. Invisible doesn't do anything useful or harmful (you're still obvious, especially with your name hovering over you), and I don't think a cloaking mutator is a good idea anyway. People with better screens will have an advantage over those with worse screens.

In particular, I think that for the jump to be useful, a jump power increase and gravity multiplier increase combined would be a better option. You'd still jump the same height or maybe somewhat higher, but you would come down faster.

I only added it as a test to my Shotgun server and the players like it so I left it. For my server they need to be adjusted and Jump/Flight removed. For minsta/hook I don't think they are useful.

They should work good with Vanilla or say my Rifle server as it'll give player some nice bonuses.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Don't worry; I'm not criticizing you. I also think that having some mutators is beneficial in providing variety to a shotgun only server.

(01-13-2015, 07:53 PM)TrackPt Wrote: Don't worry; I'm not criticizing you. I also think that having some mutators is beneficial in providing variety to a shotgun only server.

On no I didn't think you were criticizing me Smile I do think they would work good in vanilla or even with the NIX mutator.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Disability sounds like a buff that transforms the user into a wheelchair patient or in some way just downgrades the players performance.

(01-14-2015, 05:24 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: Disability sounds like a buff that transforms the user into a wheelchair patient or in some way just downgrades the players performance.

That's exactly the idea.

(01-13-2015, 03:51 PM)TrackPt Wrote: MoFo shotgun-only server uses them, as do some minsta-hook servers. The jump and flight buffs are worse than useless; they just make you a long lasting target. Invisible doesn't do anything useful or harmful (you're still obvious, especially with your name hovering over you), and I don't think a cloaking mutator is a good idea anyway. People with better screens will have an advantage over those with worse screens.

About this, flight on minsta + hook ctf is actually a debuff, most of the time you get owned and unable to do proper air control but sometimes flight is really useful like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBte449pUoo weapons + jetpack it gives you more air time and that's awesome, on some maps flight is really awesome, but on most it kind of sucks, invisible was heavily underpowered, maybe too much now, the original reduced you to 10% visibility. With that on some maps on dm you could literally stand on any place and camp like crazy, it was really really rare that someone killed you, jump sucks if you have hook available, but is useful if you don't.

Ammo buff is also worthless on minsta/overkill but on weapons is one of the best ones.
[Image: 9074.png]

What Smilecythe means is that it makes the user crippled, not the person the user attacks. That's what I thought too.

Buffs seem to be Rune mode moved into mutators, with slightly changed mechanics, right?
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Indeed, it is my attempt at a remake of runes, relics and even Akari's buffs system in Nexuiz.
Balancing the buffs is one of the hardest parts, but I have plans for some of them (invisibility will become stealth, and will do some different things).

Also, disability buff is the ability to inflict disability on enemies, to affect the carrier it would have to be a debuff.

(01-14-2015, 09:41 PM)Mario Wrote: Also, disability buff is the ability to inflict disability on enemies, to affect the carrier it would have to be a debuff.
You could try a different name because the current one is kind of perspective confusing. Jump, Speed, Invisible, etc.. they all give the impression that you get those skills once you pick the item up and Disability falls into that same impression, it makes you think that you will be downgraded instead, before reading this thread I was avoiding it like a downgrade. Maybe try working around with names like Disturber, Heckler, Sabotage, Hamper.. Exorcist? Idk

I have to agree that the name is a bit misleading, when I played with buffs for the first time I thought as well "Disability" was something bad (respectively could not tell what it really does).
That's actually the reason of my post, to have a list what the buffs actually do. Big Grin

Indeed, the naming on these buffs was kinda limited by the available icons, couldn't think of a better name than that of the icon's file. Will have to bug Taoki again to share the name of creator of the icons (someone on OpenClipArt).

The quality of the current icons is pretty random. I can make some new ones, also with a better shader.
[Image: 9Vth0pn.png]

The colors are quite random as well. IMO, Medic should be red (=health), Resistance should be green (=armor). This would make them more intuitive, with similar colors having similar meaning throughout the game.

That would be nice, but maybe hold off on that until after we've applied the new updates (been a long night of brainstorming, there are big plans to change behaviour of existing buffs and add new ones).

No problem. Let me know when you're done Big Grin

(01-14-2015, 09:41 PM)Mario Wrote: ...(invisibility will become stealth, and will do some different things).

Great work on those buffs, but please reconsider the Invisibility/Stealth buff.
I just started playing Xonotic 3 weeks ago and like it more every day.
That stealth machanic in Toxikk on the other hand is a no-go for me and one of the main reasons why I won't play that game any longer.

I like fast paced FPS games with open fights and chases and not sneaky hiding camper attacks.

IMHO Invis is fine as a regular, time limited powerup, but not as an until-you-die buff. At least it would need some signficant drawback to the user, like blurred vision.

As a buff, it's currently a little too underpowered to be much use at all. One of the ideas hanging around is to make the carrier less invisible while standing still, and more translucent while moving and/or shooting, or something along those lines.
Having never played Toxikk, I can't say whether my ideas similar at all to whatever they implemented, but the "stealth" aspect of the buff will be in the name only, for the most part (bit silly having both invisibility powerups and buffs).

A rough outline of ideas and brainstorming is available here (feel free to suggest any changes there): http://smbclan.net:9001/p/buffs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XonStat FAQ Antibody 2 4,740 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Antibody