Create an account

Poll: Should the FC have a restriction?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
11.76%
2 11.76%
No!
64.71%
11 64.71%
Meh.
23.53%
4 23.53%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Restrictions of FC in CTF

I was thinking that it might be interesting to add some restriction to the player with the enemy flag in CTF. I was thinking of something minor yet valuable, like slower movement speed, reduced jump height, or disabling hook. The idea is that it's realistic (you're carrying a bigass flag, of course you can't jump as well) and encourages/requires people to help defend their fc if they want to win, but not be so disabling as to render the fc useless on their own.

This would allow for interesting mapping strategies, like making the path to the enemy base as easy as pie, but then making the fc take a longer, harder path back to home base (similar to what VALVe Software calls a "bounce").

However, I know that some CTF diehards will object to this, and it might break some maps where it's impossible for the fc to get back home without the ability that gets restricted. So, I put it up to the community: Yes or No?
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Generally I like the idea because on many maps you can do a cap in just a few seconds and this would encourage teamplay. However, I prefer removing the laser as it's still possible to do jumps with the mortar for example, but with proper damage. But it's true, this would really depend on the map.

Only as a cvar .. this shouldnt be as default.. Because this wouldnt fit to all gametypes... Minsta/ All weapons or self modded stuff o_O

defiantly not in minsta nex removing hook means death

This has already been tried in an earlier development version of Nexuiz, but majority of the people did not like this idea. The cvar still exists iirc.

I'm beginning to think that "cvars make the world go 'round" should be my personal mantra, because I've been using it an awful lot lately...

Yes, the cvar is a nice idea. On that note, though, what was the restriction that was used in the old development version?
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Slower movement and less force from the laser jump iirc. There might have been more but I don't remember.

That's a bold idea. Should be a cvar.

Also, why would a CTF cvar have any effect on minsta? I thought that minsta was its own gamemode...
Humans... Dodgy

What might be interesting is a limit on walking speed, but the FC still can accelerate as fast as others can by bunny jumping. This would make people learn better movement.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

VNilla Wrote:This would allow for interesting mapping strategies, like making the path to the enemy base as easy as pie, but then making the fc take a longer, harder path back to home base

If the path to the enemy base is as easy as pie and the map is symmetrical, wouldn't that make the path from their base to yours as easy as pie as well, meaning that it would effectively do nothing whatsoever?
Huh
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

No, what VNilla meant was that it is as easy as pie without the FC restriction, but not or hardly possible to traverse with the FC restriction. For example it requires you to laser jump, and if the FC restriction is to remove the laser, then you'd have to make mortar or rl jumps on the way back which are quite costy on the health side. Or take the longer path.

If I remember correctly, there were some servers where rocket flying or rocket jumping in general had an increased self damage when you were carrying the flag. Maybe an increased self damage for the FC's laser or the FC's weapons in general would do the trick here, too? I'd favor this over having an overal increase of the laser's self damage...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(06-03-2010, 04:50 AM)Halogene Wrote: If I remember correctly, there were some servers where rocket flying or rocket jumping in general had an increased self damage when you were carrying the flag. Maybe an increased self damage for the FC's laser or the FC's weapons in general would do the trick here, too? I'd favor this over having an overal increase of the laser's self damage...

Maybe an idea just to make the push less due to the excess weight added by the flag (assuming the flag is made of lead).
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Sepelio Wrote:(assuming the flag is made of lead).

I LOL'd. (God knows what the flag itself is made of.)
Humans... Dodgy

Adamantium, that's why it survives EVERYTHING. I would go for higher fc self damage (but not overboard).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

How about faster health rot or lower health cap for the fc? Then you don't have to learn what you can and can't do, like with movement limitations. But you do have to stay on your toes all the time and have much better health management for weapon jumps.

Adjust/change laser..
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Do not want.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(06-04-2010, 07:04 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Do not want.

same here

for public servers :
its already bad enough that new people dont understand teamwork . another thing to look at is the scoring system . It clearly has made some people realise they are not good enought to cap a flag because of the negative scoring if you drop or get killed with the flag . ive seen so many people just hang out at the base looking to kill instead of help the fc ... mainly . the Fc is alone in public servers most of the time . they also have to fight for weapons and health ( megas ) . in my case mostly , speed is my only friend . if the laser is taken from me my game will drastically change .
another point ... learn to move . i did and thats why most people have a hard time catching me . I dont mind helping people learn . its more fun to me to open someones eyes than play around them . if you want help , ask me or ask people in game . there are plenty of people willing to help . ... good luck
I have no signature . That is all .