Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Crosshair Set

Lightbulb 
Hi everyone!!oneoneeleven11

I think that it would be nice for Xonotic to have a new set of crosshairs. I don't say that the old ones are bad but if e can come up with something new and briliant - why not do it?

I started some designs in Inkscape.
If anyone want do do his own set - place it here Smile

I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I would like to make some also, I will help you if you like Wink

(06-05-2010, 08:03 AM)kay Wrote: I would like to make some also, I will help you if you like Wink
Go ahead Smile

I see now that simplier designs work better actually and mixing black and white doesn't work good.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I like the small ones the bigger one have too big lines.

I made a (crosshair per weapon) set because that was in 2.5.2 also,
[Image: CrossConcept.jpg]

I did not make every weapon, this was just a test.

but theyre cool, at least for the people who like eyecandy and non-practical stuff Smile

I'm not any good on paint Big Grin but got an idea of the O from the xonotic logo
and as u can see my skillz in paint sucks Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpg   gcyexht9xldazvn4gjh.jpg (Size: 20.62 KB / Downloads: 437)

(06-05-2010, 09:23 AM)Fjant Wrote: I'm not any good on paint Big Grin but got an idea of the O from the xonotic logo
and as u can see my skillz in paint sucks Big Grin

Could be cool,

I would suggest you to download Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator Tongue

Are animated Crosshairs also possible?

(06-05-2010, 01:45 PM)pyr0 Wrote: Are animated Crosshairs also possible?

Yes, I think so.

I really like the idea of glowy, weapon-specific crosshairs. (The whole bit where you could customize your crosshair just seemed awkward to me in other games.) Especially if they can be animated. Like, say, the center part of the rocket crosshair detaches and goes and follows your rocket around on screen if you chose to guide it manually. Or the Electro had some detachable bits that would go and make a little circle around each of your Electro grenades and blink if it's about to explode. That one might lead to a little too much HUD-cruft, but it's just an idea.

Nice stuff Kay - keep it up! A set like those would be cool!
I like the my small ones better - they are made today, the large ones are made yesterday Smile I'am learning doing this.

I think several per-weapon crosshair sets also with scripts to make the mdo some stuff like vede wrote would be cool.
Player could use one crosshair for all weapons or use sets (those might be also customizable in some boundaries).

I like kay's idea and crosshairs a lot, but where is the nex ? where is the nex? Sad Sad
about unfa crossharis, I think they can't be used in minstagib, they are not accurate at all, only one of them has a dot at the center.

(06-05-2010, 04:28 PM)XV22 Wrote: I like kay's idea and crosshairs a lot, but where is the nex ? where is the nex? Sad Sad
about unfa crossharis, I think they can't be used in minstagib, they are not accurate at all, only one of them has a dot at the center.

He didn't do all the crosshairs because that was just a test. I think they would rock if he finished them and put them in-game though, they'd be better than the current crosshairs.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Currently animation of crosshairs is not possible. What you could do (without having to code anything extra) is create a tga for every frame and using aliases and defer to change the image every frame. That would require a lot of tgas depending on the anim though.

Z and others have also started remaking some crosshairs, and he has even mostly finished some. It would be a good idea to coordinate with him for a unified style.

Also, for god's sake, use svg files. Bitmap crosshairs will bite thee in the ass.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

UPDATE: I think I have all weapons now, tell me if I forgot one!

[Image: CrossConcept.jpg]

Can we have the vector sources, kay?
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

i really like that one for laser, it's great, simple but... But great Smile
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(06-05-2010, 06:26 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Can we have the vector sources, kay?

Yes you can but these are edited in photoshop so they look a little different, but ill give you also the .psd file:
SVG FILE
PSD FILE
(06-05-2010, 06:47 PM)kay Wrote:

Yes you can but these are edited in photoshop so they look a little different, but ill give you also the .psd file:
SVG FILE
PSD FILE

BTW, why can't we just use .tga for crosshairs, we always did before and I had no problems with it, if you use a big resolution the quality is great.

I really like Kay's in terms of the futuristic glowing look.

My only suggestion is that (if camping rifle reloading is included in Xonotic) the camping rifle should have a circle that shows the percentage of ammo left, rather than the number of bullets. This means that it's still useful when you have a non-standard amount of ammo in a clip.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(06-05-2010, 06:47 PM)kay Wrote: BTW, why can't we just use .tga for crosshairs, we always did before and I had no problems with it, if you use a big resolution the quality is great.
We can, in fact, we have to. However, doing crosshairs in raster formats is excessively short-sighted and not easy to maintain. Vector formats can be scaled to whatever base resolution raster you want to include and also can be edited with extreme ease.

Problem with sources: Crosshairs can only contain colors #FFFFFF and #000000. White is colorized while black is left alone.

Excellent idea Kay, weapon specific cross-hairs would add tons to the intuitiveness of the interface and the futuristic aesthetic.

I vote for this. Smile
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

There already are per-weapon crosshairs. They just don't look this good Tongue

EDIT: Kay, I really like your crosshairs. Very nice. One thing that I would like to see before including them into Xonotic is a difference between Nex and Rifle crosshairs just so that they are per-weapon. Otherwise very nicely done.

EDIT2: Sorry Kay, one last thing. Not much of a fan of the MG crosshair, but the rest look great.

(06-05-2010, 08:14 PM)clanclanclan Wrote: I really like Kay's in terms of the futuristic glowing look.

My only suggestion is that (if camping rifle reloading is included in Xonotic) the camping rifle should have a circle that shows the percentage of ammo left, rather than the number of bullets. This means that it's still useful when you have a non-standard amount of ammo in a clip.

That's in Nexuiz. It is too useful to exclude, imho.
My will be done.

SVG FILE
PSD FILE

SVG FILE
PSD FILE

BTW, why can't we just use .tga for crosshairs, we always did before and I had no problems with it, if you use a big resolution the quality is great.

GPL?
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manually set frusta (stereo vision) Crash_Override 1 3,417 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  *NEW* EASY-TO-USE physics set from experimentation by frutiex and kojn (please read) kojn^ 39 39,010 05-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Last Post: kojn^