Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help identifying a part

I recently picked up a keyboard (an IBM Model M2) that worked like it was supposed to for about ten minutes. I ripped it open and found something on the controller leaking that clearly shouldn't be and don't know exactly what type of part it is due to my lack of knowledge on circuit boards. Picture isn't mine, but it is of the same circuit board. I've circled the piece I need identified.

TLDR; can someone tell me what this is?

ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Might be a resistor, but the image does not provide enough detail to properly identify it. Resistors usually have a color code though or at least a number on it defining their value.

If you don't know your ways around circuit boards, it might be a not so good idea to try to fix it yourself... or is there another reason why you need this item to be identified?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(04-08-2015, 03:20 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I recently picked up a keyboard (an IBM Model M2) that worked like it was supposed to for about ten minutes. I ripped it open and found something on the controller leaking that clearly shouldn't be and don't know exactly what type of part it is due to my lack of knowledge on circuit boards. Picture isn't mine, but it is of the same circuit board. I've circled the piece I need identified.

It looks like a fuse. But fuses shouldn't leak. Usually the capacitors fail.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=5065.0

If it's disconnected it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what it is. If it won't conduct DC current (a multimeter set to continuity test) then it's a capacitor, if it only conducts in one direction, it's a diode, else it's probably a resistor. But it still looks like a fuse to me Huh

It's hard to tell from the pic, but is it labelled "Y1" on the board? (looks like maybe?) Y would mean it's a crystal.

Agree, it looks more like a fuse, with the metal caps and the white thingy in the middle, but I wonder why you would solder a fuse firmly to the circuit board with fuses being intended to be replaced after they have fulfilled their purpose once...? But then again I have no clue about electronics...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I think I saw some markings on the part on my board, I'll grab them off it and post them on here when I get the chance. As for why I'm looking to repair the keyboard: I WANNA USE IT! After that issue is solved, it's by far a more pleasant keyboard to type on than just about anything else available right now and takes up less space than other IBM and Unicomp Model M keyboards available.

(04-08-2015, 09:10 AM)Ogger73 Wrote: It looks like a fuse. But fuses shouldn't leak. Usually the capacitors fail.

If it's disconnected it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what it is. If it won't conduct DC current (a multimeter set to continuity test) then it's a capacitor, if it only conducts in one direction, it's a diode, else it's probably a resistor. But it still looks like a fuse to me Huh

It's hard to tell from the pic, but is it labelled "Y1" on the board? (looks like maybe?) Y would mean it's a crystal.

It is labelled Y and the stuff leaking from it looks like a bunch of black crystals.

Oh wait.

(04-08-2015, 07:56 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: It is labelled Y and the stuff leaking from it looks like a bunch of black crystals.

Strange. How the heck did someone manage to shatter a quartz timing crystal without damaging the rest of the keyboard? It must have been hit by phaser fire. TongueBig Grin

Fuses are often soldered directly to the board. There are special fuses resetting themselves after no current flows for some period of time. Though you can´t tell if it is such a type with no part number given. Undecided

But I also bet it´s a crystal. Fuses simply do not leak. You can replace it if you know the exact operating frequency of it. Or solder it out and measure the frequency.

Some more detailed photos of your own keyboard would help I think. I wonder how the leaked material looks like and where exactly the part is leaking.

(04-10-2015, 04:14 AM)Maddin Wrote: Fuses are often soldered directly to the board. There are special fuses resetting themselves after no current flows for some period of time. Though you can´t tell if it is such a type with no part number given. Undecided

But I also bet it´s a crystal. Fuses simply do not leak. You can replace it if you know the exact operating frequency of it. Or solder it out and measure the frequency.

Some more detailed photos of your own keyboard would help I think. I wonder how the leaked material looks like and where exactly the part is leaking.

Just took a look at it. It's barely legible because of how small it is, but I'm pretty sure it reads: 400 something (almost looks like @) E.

Oh wait.

(04-08-2015, 03:20 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I recently picked up a keyboard (an IBM Model M2) that worked like it was supposed to for about ten minutes. I ripped it open and found something on the controller leaking that clearly shouldn't be and don't know exactly what type of part it is due to my lack of knowledge on circuit boards. Picture isn't mine, but it is of the same circuit board. I've circled the piece I need identified.

That component is indeed a crystal.

I found some information from the same website that has the picture you showed as a reference.

It gives some info about this model and a possible cause for it failing. A crystal replacement alone might not solve the problem. It seems its common for the capacitors to fail causing the issue. Capacitors store and discharge electrical charge into circuits, and can also act as frequency filters. The crystal probably got overworked and failed due to the capacitors not doing their job.

Also some information if you're ever curious about other electronic components and how to identify them if you're ever trying to repair something. Smile

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/07...omponents/

(04-13-2015, 09:10 AM)mc75700 Wrote:

That component is indeed a crystal.

I found some information from the same website that has the picture you showed as a reference.

It gives some info about this model and a possible cause for it failing. A crystal replacement alone might not solve the problem. It seems its common for the capacitors to fail causing the issue. Capacitors store and discharge electrical charge into circuits, and can also act as frequency filters. The crystal probably got overworked and failed due to the capacitors not doing their job.

Also some information if you're ever curious about other electronic components and how to identify them if you're ever trying to repair something. Smile

http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2007/07...omponents/

Thanks. That just made my life a little easier.

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need recommendatons for best wireless PC gaming mice and keyboards for Linux CyberGhost 5 1,044 01-29-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  [NEED HELP] I need Assistance to complete my research paper vahidtoon 2 3,665 08-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Last Post: vahidtoon
  Help me choose new domain name Ch4mp 23 15,777 07-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Ch4mp
  Got a netbook, need an OS for it Lee_Stricklin 25 29,921 05-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Pendulla
  Help liberate ROTC:Ethernet poVoq 8 7,257 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Last Post: poVoq
Question Help finding a song The mysterious Mr. 4m 1 3,310 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  I think I screwed up my GTK/GNOME/GWhatever, help? Minkovsky 5 5,613 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  In need of an username change... neXus 4 4,821 08-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Last Post: neXus
  Need to check anark10n 17 13,471 06-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? Mr. Bougo 25 36,770 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo