Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duel Mapping Contest 2015

Hi!
Another map:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...0#pid73070
somewhere

I will host a Duel Cup at Friday (31st July) 19:00 CEST featuring maps from the contest.

Oh damn, I should hurry up and release a final version before Friday Big Grin

My submission, called Luminar: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5723

(07-27-2015, 06:54 PM)Mirio Wrote: I will host a Duel Cup at Friday (31st July) 19:00 CEST featuring maps from the contest.

In supporting this, I setup my server "BuddyFriendGuy Server Contest Maps" to host only contest maps. I didn't restrict the gametype, nor the max players. This is to encourage players to get familiar with the maps. Have fun!

Hello,

Here's my final submission: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...0#pid72720

Thanks BuddyFriendGuy for providing the contest maps on your server! Smile

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...9#pid73149

retextured and improved version for submission
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I was trying to donate. Clicked on the Paypal Donate button. This popped up @ paypal.

"Error Detected

Error Message
PayPal cannot process this transaction because of a problem with the seller's website. Please contact the seller directly to resolve this problem."

(07-30-2015, 08:07 PM)JohnnyD Wrote: I was trying to donate. Clicked on the Paypal Donate button. This popped up @ paypal.

"Error Detected

Error Message
PayPal cannot process this transaction because of a problem with the seller's website. Please contact the seller directly to resolve this problem."

I will look into it on Saturday, can't before.

(07-30-2015, 02:39 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: retextured and improved version for submission

I'm posting here on behave of myself, a guy in the community.

@Cortez666, I'm all for more candidates in a contest, and you seem to be very interested in being part of this contest, which I appreciate. I have also enjoyed many games with others in your maps (but there were all DM games, not Duels).

However, since

1. the contest is looking for new Duel maps that were never released before,
2. your f.i.su.m.e. was released in 2012,
3. you also categorized your map as a DM map,
4. and the changes you made don't seem enough to qualify as a new map -- you didn't even change its name yourself,

I won't be surprised if the committee find your submission unqualified as a candidate for this competition.

(04-30-2012, 02:57 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: A small duel map made in 2 days.
No eyecandy, because the duel player use picmip anyway.

Is it possible that you can quickly put together another one before the deadline?

Final submission of ERBIUM:

Thread:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5715

Direct download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9049...allest.pk3 (11.2MB)

For organizers, donators, community, For Mario for his compressing skills, Sev and those who took their time to leave feedback

Special thanks:
For my mother (alpha testing and great pieces of visual and theme advice) and brother (my portfolio and being my bro) for their support

(07-31-2015, 01:01 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: 1. the contest is looking for new Duel maps that were never released before,
2. your f.i.su.m.e. was released in 2012,
3. you also categorized your map as a DM map,
4. and the changes you made don't seem enough to qualify as a new map -- you didn't even change its name yourself,
All you points could be used against monads map too.

(07-31-2015, 01:01 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: I won't be surprised if the committee find your submission unqualified as a candidate for this competition.
As i said it could be used against monad too. I have done mostly the same stuff as monard.

(04-30-2012, 02:57 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: Is it possible that you can quickly put together another one before the deadline?
Yes, but what would be the point?
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

This is my final submission (2 fixes):

mint.pk3
somewhere

I got on my high horse and was all strict and shit with my stunning judge authority before, but yeah I'm kind of with Cortez now. If we're going allow Monad's map which lights up all the same reasons why I declared Cortez's map disqualified, instead of justifying Monad's map's validity with made up excuse (so that we're not completely short of maps for the contest) we should just allow Cortez's map in too even though it's obvious that he's just trolling and trying to make points in depressingly pointless things. I don't want to take the off chance that he's actually being sincere with his complaint while suffering from down syndrome or something, because that would just make me feel bad.

@buddyfriendguy:
1/2. Monad's map was released 2013 and Cortez's 2012.. What difference does that make since they're both released at the least two years ago?
3. There are other map submissions in this contest which weren't categorized as Duel or even submitted on their own thread in the first place so I don't see the logic in that reason either.
4. Is there proof that Monad worked on this version of his map only during the contest and not before?

It's not up to me though I know, I'm just giving my two shekels. If Cortez gets in, he'll definitely receive judging in the effort/creativity department accordingly same as Monad from my end at least.

(08-01-2015, 12:30 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: @buddyfriendguy:
1/2. Monad's map was released 2013 and Cortez's 2012.. What difference does that make since they're both released at the least two years ago?
3. There are other map submissions in this contest which weren't categorized as Duel or even submitted on their own thread in the first place so I don't see the logic in that reason either.
4. Is there proof that Monad worked on this version of his map only during the contest and not before?

It's not up to me though I know, I'm just giving my two shekels. If Cortez gets in, he'll definitely receive judging in the effort/creativity department accordingly same as Monad from my end at least.

My intention was to encourage Cortez to submit an unambiguously qualified map in the contest.

I honestly didn't realize that Mint started earlier as well. Cortez is right about that. And I definitely support being more inclusive.

Please, remove my map from the list.
somewhere

Obviously it's not up to me. However, here's my 2 cents:

Considering this whole project is based on volunteered resources, together we are trying our best to do what's the best for the project and the community. It's not the best use of our time to come up with a perfect rule set like some legal contracts, or debating over semantics, or, in general, being negative. In our case here, being more inclusive outweighs other details.

I apologize for my mistake of being stuck on small details. I hope you two can overlook that and save me from ruining the fun.

(08-01-2015, 12:30 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: 1/2. Monad's map was released 2013 and Cortez's 2012.. What difference does that make since they're both released at the least two years ago?

Yes, both don't really meet the "was not released" requirement. Unfortunately that rule is a bit wishy-washy (full release? WIP release?). Have to fix it in future contest.

Though it says "You are allowed to submit maps which were started before contest" - certainly both were started before.
But here comes the twist:

Cortez' submitted version of fisume dates from 2013 (just open the pk3 and check file dates) or check the stats page (could provide that pk3), so it was released to public *before* the contest started, which disqualifies it.

However monads Mint changed quite a lot from the WIP release to now, which was not released to public before.

We will come up with a decision later.
Edit: Could rate both, but they would not be allowed to win prizes.

I'm in favor for just letting them both in and forgetting all about this pointless drama. Rules were not elaborate enough and Cortez is a smug bastard, both did wrong, okay we cool now? If they don't get in then at the least include them in contest related cups, because both could use the attention.

(08-01-2015, 10:57 AM)Mirio Wrote: However monads Mint changed quite a lot from the WIP release to now, which was not released to public before.
Well, it wasn't called Mint back then, but there was definitely a WIP release which was available for the public at some point. I distinctively remember the map not having clipped ceilings and not downloading it via any secret mapper group links or such, I'm 80% sure it was here on this forum. I can't really recall how much of the layout is different though.

The judging phase starts now and will take 2 weeks. After that we will publish the final results.
I finally decided to take Fisume and Mint out as both do not meet the requirements and it's not fair towards others.

I would like to thank all participants for creating these new maps!

Bit sad since I think mint and fisume deserved (map quality wise) to be included, but the other maps looks very promising too! This surely will be a tight match and will be interesting to see which map(s) wins! Smile

oops i almost forgot about contest Tongue

Zero - an eternal primordial emptiness the principle of generation of all things.
my Site: http://zeromapping.narod.ru
my Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zeromapping/
my Bananite: http://gamebanana.com/members/1317180

Too late to join the contest now obviously, but you can still share whatever you were working on in case you were ^^

Best map Debugger. Worst map proraide.

\o/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Invasion mapping contest Kotangens 2 5,594 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: end user
Lightbulb [Easy Community Contest]- Rank Yourself Ridgebeam 18 9,448 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Ridgebeam
  Mapping contest for duel maps (idea) RazorDodger 10 4,140 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,697 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para
  Mapping contests participation Justin 17 20,865 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  2015 Xonotic Soundtrack Competition BuddyFriendGuy 36 35,168 11-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Last Post: kojn^
Thumbs Up [concluded] Vote for 2015 Xonotic Soundtrack Competition BuddyFriendGuy 1 4,406 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 - Brainstorming SPLAT 15 16,495 06-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) asyyy 57 80,881 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Justin
  GlobalGamers CTF Mapping Contest Voting Samual 58 66,614 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Mario