Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welp, about time I got to using this thing

A bunch of you know me from in-game or IRC (and 1-2 from even before IRC was a thing). Been around since "before" Xon, and playing since about 0.5.

I work odd hours (2 hrs here, 3 hours there, etc), so I tend to show up on the US servers a lot during my daytime (I'm in Australia), just to give them some high-ping trouble.

Dunno if I'll be around a lot on the forum. Tend to find web forums a bit a chore to keep up to date on, but hey, I'll give it another shot, just for Xon. Wink

FWIW: Yes, I'm old. I pre-date the start of the personal computer era. Get over it kiddies. Tongue
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

(05-28-2015, 08:07 PM)cefiar Wrote: FWIW: Yes, I'm old. I pre-date the start of the personal computer era. Get over it kiddies. Tongue

Bah! That's not old. 40 is the new 20.

get off my lawn though. Big Grin

To me, "old" has always been an age some 15 years above my own age.

Welcome to the forums!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

btw the start of the personal computer era isn't over yet... I'm still holding out for the Amiga to win over PC! Tongue

Ogger73: Well I'm older than you (as we established in-game), so you get off my lawn! Tongue

Halogene: Just cos I'm old doesn't mean I don't expect to be around for a while. Got a bit more fragging left in me. Wink

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

Huh? I didn't imply you'd be here only for half a year or so? I was just trying to point out that "old" is a relative term that even if others apply it to you, you don't necessarily have to apply it to yourself. That definition "15 years above my own age" is so practical since you can use it for decades, it basically grows with you.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Halogene: I think you took that the wrong way..

I meant as in: I'm old, but I'm not that old that I'll be shuffling off this mortal coil yet. Tongue

There was a BBS in Rochester NY called "The Hat's Place" back in the late eighties, and one day a longtime member (can't remember his name, just that he was a narcoleptic taxi driver on disability) tied up one of the phone lines for more than 24 hours, blocking access to some door game, so when he wouldn't respond to chat pages, and we couldn't call him, we sent the police to his house for a welfare check. Poor guy died online. In his honor under the ascii art for "The Hat's Place" was placed the line "Frags: 1"

I have stats tracking disabled, but when I die I think I want my stats banner to read "Frags: 1" Wink

Until then I'll keep mortar spamming! Tongue

I remember the BBS days well. I ran a multi-line BBS from 1988 to 1996, where over half the lines were 2400bps (the BBS was mainly for chat).

(06-05-2015, 10:21 PM)Ogger73 Wrote: There was a BBS in Rochester NY called "The Hat's Place" back in the late eighties, and one day a longtime member (can't remember his name, just that he was a narcoleptic taxi driver on disability) tied up one of the phone lines for more than 24 hours, blocking access to some door game, so when he wouldn't respond to chat pages, and we couldn't call him, we sent the police to his house for a welfare check. Poor guy died online. In his honor under the ascii art for "The Hat's Place" was placed the line "Frags: 1"

I have stats tracking disabled, but when I die I think I want my stats banner to read "Frags: 1" Wink

Until then I'll keep mortar spamming! Tongue

Glad somebody still knows what "door game" or "outdoor" means!

Legend says somebody could pass the handshaking (I'm guessing 300 bps) with his vocal cord over the phone. I've always wanted to meet this person.

300bps or 1200/75 aren't THAT hard if you can keep your pitch steady. The question is just how long can you keep a note for.

A few of the cheaper touch-tone phones produced such bad harmonics that a modem could latch on to that, if they produced a suitable constant tone when a button was held down.

I used to have a number of door games on my BBS. Virtual Sysop was a favourite, though everyone accused me of cheating (not that I did - What can I say, I was a good Sysop!). LORD was always popular too.

I still have much of the gear I used to run the BBS on. Modems, multi-port serial card, 486dx4-133 in a "cache" motherboard that had 8M of 15ns RAM (no extra RAM in the machine), bunch of caching VESA IDE boards with 16M each (more than the BBS itself had). Sadly the hard drives didn't survive, and neither did any of the backups. Still got the original software (licensed, on 5.25" disk) somewhere.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  long time no see Grasshopper 2 1,062 08-28-2022, 10:43 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  I got the game a few weeks ago and wanted to engage with the community! Bhagwa-Yodhak-69 1 1,735 08-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  It's been some time.... Rad Ished 3 2,408 01-17-2019, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Chookstarocket
  Long time player, first time poster Slick Butter 6 5,119 12-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Now then... What's this forum thing about...? MrDetonia 5 4,411 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Jhonny
  Long-Time Nexuiz Player Has Just Discovered This Game tinkerttoy 4 5,267 09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  the one that got fraged eximius 6 3,754 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Last Post: [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC]
Shocked It's time to say hello Delusion 11 10,141 03-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: kuniu the frogg
Heart Great game you got here PissOnMommy 3 3,967 03-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo