Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FFA] 7 Colors

EDIT Oct 6, 2015: update to r04

This is a map original made for World of Padman (WoP) by Hectic.

I enjoyed it very much during my WoP days, and thought I'd port it to Xonotic. However, I know nothing about balancing so the items here might not be good for Xonotic's game play. Can somebody help out with this?

The map (and all its sources) can be downloaded here (3.5MB).

I also host it in BuddyFriendGuy Fun Server for testing.

Played it with you today Smile Was fun.

Thanks, Beagle. Could you elaborate on the better ammo amounts? Currently I have

"ammo_cells" "20"
"ammo_nails" "60"
"ammo_rockets" "12"
"ammo_shells" "20"

for the ammo replenishment in the center arena. Each weapon comes with very limited ammo. The idea was that since each weapon is very accessible, one would grab a weapon, go to the center arena, and then keep moving into the tunnels to grab more weapons, or fight to grab the ammo packs.

However, I need more experienced players like you to help tune that.

Doesn't look like placing weapons any differently is gonna do the balance any justice, it's going to be just as confusing no matter how they're put. Vortex, Mortar and Devastator are the mostly useful guns, I'd advice trying to divide the route amongst them at the least. Also, I would replace 25armor with a 100armor so that the map would have something to fight for. Xonotic is at it's best when the gameplay is 50% fragging and 50% item control.

Thanks so much for the insight, @Smilecythe. I've replaced the shield as advised.

(07-03-2015, 09:44 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: Vortex, Mortar and Devastator are the mostly useful guns, I'd advice trying to divide the route amongst them at the least.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Right now it looks like these three major weapons are spaced out, i.e. they are at least two teleports apart, and they are not in adjacent rooms.

Also, could you comment on the ammo amount? I limited them so after 2 or 3 major fires, one must go find ammo.

Many many thanks!

Ammo accessibility is pretty hard to control in Xonotic because of the ammo types. You can get Vortex ammo from picking up Crylink or Electro and you can get Devastator ammo from picking up Mortar or Hagar. So it doesn't really take long for a player to run through each of the spawns and be pretty much on full stack. There's nothing else you can do really, other than remove weapons or increase the map size, neither of which are helpful solutions for your map idea I believe.

(07-04-2015, 09:40 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Right now it looks like these three major weapons are spaced out, i.e. they are at least two teleports apart, and they are not in adjacent rooms.
Well I wasn't quite sure if they were at first, the map was quite confusing. Your illustration helps a lot and I don't see any issues there now.

(07-04-2015, 02:10 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: So it doesn't really take long for a player to run through each of the spawns and be pretty much on full stack. There's nothing else you can do really, other than remove weapons or increase the map size, neither of which are helpful solutions for your map idea I believe.

Hectic, the original mapper, actually put a small hurt on each teleport to penalize players for collecting weapons. I removed it because that was confusing in Xonotic (sounded like I'm being attacked by somebody from behind the teleport).

I now see what you mean by a map suitable for some gametypes but not others. This is certainly a leisure map.

Thank you again for the insight!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [WIP] mvxdm04 - Duel / FFA map munyul 18 14,645 09-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: munyul
  [FFA] Labyrinth SpiKe 2 5,387 04-23-2016, 04:40 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
  [Duel/FFA] Cucumber SpiKe 24 27,239 04-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [Duel/FFA] Erbium Justin 52 53,383 08-17-2015, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [Duel/FFA]Crystal Cave Justin 66 61,118 07-13-2015, 02:51 PM