Create an account

Poll: Agree on this as a permenant name?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
31.58%
6 31.58%
No
42.11%
8 42.11%
Don't know
26.32%
5 26.32%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
[SUGGESTION] New name for Nex

The Xion, aka Xenon Ion Cannon.

I believe this would be an excellent name, as it uses the first three letters of this game, x, o, and n, but makes infinitely more sense than the Xon Rifle.

I don't agree to this poll, you could have made a topic to select names, then a poll with the few more popular.

actually, we have a specific thread to discuss such things you know

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=142

sorry, nothing personal, i just couldn't resist... Tongue

btw. your name is quite good, still simple but sounds maybe bit better than "xon"
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

mutually inexclusive polls are stupid!

(06-11-2010, 12:43 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: mutually inexclusive polls are stupid!
What does it mean? Stupid polls are stupid? Tongue
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

To be honest, this thread is intended entirely to redirect the general leaning towards the 'Xon', which is almost guaranteed to become the new name for the Nex.

However, 'Xon' is inherently difficult to communicate.

IRL conversation Wrote:"What's your favourite weapon in Xono?"

"The Xon"

"Zone..? There is no weapon called the zone!"

"Of course there is! It's the gun that fires a bluish beam!"

"Oh, you were talking about the Sohn?"

On the other hand, there is only one way to pronounce 'Xion', which is "sy-on", which comes from a contraction of Xenon ion, the most practical type of particles emitted by a linear charged particle accelerator.

And unlike all the other weapons in that thread that you've redundantly linked to, the Nex is the only gun guaranteed to be renamed, as it is only one that depends on the name of the game.

That is why 'Xion' deserves to be the name so much more than 'Xon', or any alternatives.

Point 1. Why do you believe that "Xon" will be the official name?

Point 2. "Xion" can be pronounced as "Shion", "Zion", "Ksion", "Sion", etc. etc. It is definitely not unambiguous ("Nex" is unambiguous).

Point 3. Bad poll is bad.

Point 4. Why start a whole new thread? Just post in the existing thread.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Don't call it the Xon..such a poor name Smile

Secondly, is the 'nex' even going to be in xonotic? Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Any name starting with X will be ambiguous.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(06-11-2010, 04:15 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Secondly, is the 'nex' even going to be in xonotic? Smile

The name no, but the weapon yes. Either that or oblivion/dib/whoever else worked hard for nothing.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

Quote:Any name starting with X will be ambiguous.

The X in the Xe in Xenon is pronounced in only one way, so is Ion.

Combine them together, and you get Xion, which should only be pronounced one way....

As long it's understood that it's a contraction.

Roanoke Wrote:... Why do you believe that "Xon" will be the official name? ...

Simple is best, or so the saying goes.

Oblivion refers to his model as the Xon(otic) Rifle

Four other individual posters have suggested it, which makes it the most popular replacement name currently.

Does it change the fact that it's worse than 'Xion' in all the ways I've listed?

... Not any more than how folks have commented on the poll.

Oblivion does not make decisions in that respect; sure, he has weight and authority over things relating to modeling, texturing, etc. but he is not one of the core team. Most people I've seen are either adverse to "xon" or suggest it as a joke.

Please do not use Oblivion or my name in this conversation. I told oblivion to use xon or whatever it is as a place holder and nothing else. I didn't want the thread to be called Nex Rifle for obvious reasons. Oblivion also clearly states that 'Xon' name is still a temporary designation in his first post.

(06-11-2010, 04:15 PM)naryl Wrote: Any name starting with X will be ambiguous.
Any name starting with X will be shot.

Europeans don't know how to pronounce "X". There's like.... 2 words commonly known in Germany that start with X; "Xylophon" and the name "Xavier". It's an exotic letter. It's called "eeks" and is pronounced like "ks" when used inside words. In France the X is pronounced more like an "s", if i recall correctly, and i have no idea how it's pronounced in italian or spanish.
And to russians it's like an "H", i think....

The "Xon" may not even be a candidate for the official name, but it's already the inofficial name. It's been mentioned repeatedly, it's literally all over the place (why not call it "Placeholder"?) and it's "attractive"; not because it's nice, but because it's like a hotdog; not necessarily healthy, but it's handy and available, because it's part of the game's name (just like the Nex), and it "makes sense", because it's part of the game's name (just like the Nex!). People make this analogy. It would really take a freaken bloody awesome name to overcome the soothing comfort of that lyrical fastfood equivalent of "Xon".

i would be happy with Xion. Smile
4m038105 - Be the change.

Good point. Russians and Spaniards (and Mexicans, and Argentinians, and Bolivians...) both pronounce it as "h". "Xon" has no harmony like "Nex" does, it's missing a concrete quality in its pronunciation.

Well .... in Spanish the H has no sound *at all*. With the exception of the CH combination, which sounds just as in the word "change".

Anyway, agreeing with -z-, crappy poll. Seems to pursuit "I've chosen/invented the name for that weapon" rather than encouraging a democratic decision.

Xion sounds and looks an awful lot like Zion. COINCIDENCE, OR CAREFULLY PLOTTED CONSPIRACY? Wink
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I think the nex should be named after the player who is the best with the Nex prior to the release of Xonotic.

TREVOR

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,142 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Overkill mod: Nex balance issues unfa 12 12,402 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Alt fire mode for Nex instead of scope? Smilecythe 28 31,399 03-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  [SUGGESTION] Don't display name of invisible players Micha 3 4,624 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Samual
Photo [SUGGESTION] Making the Nex more beam-like w/ video W4RP1G 29 28,076 05-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Nex charge and weapon swap Grunt 34 39,766 02-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Nex idea shogun_assassin 7 8,574 12-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] Nex leveling yet not remove its power. oiaohm 8 8,558 11-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Last Post: oiaohm
  [SUGGESTION] Nex gun recoil impact for high jumps like in Nexuiz xeros 3 5,368 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Last Post: xeros
  [SUGGESTION] Nex (Xon Rifle) color nowego4 16 14,397 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Last Post: nowego4