Create an account

Poll: Is Hypnotic a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Good idea
60.00%
6 60.00%
Nah
40.00%
4 40.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Hypnotic

Information 
Hypnotic would basically be Xonotic on Nyquil, with the intention of making team play more cooperative
Implementation is foggy at the moment, as it appears to have things accomplished both by mods and by server configs
  • Longer respawn times in CTF would make it so that a team would give up a point if they got flushed out, which would make both teams more defensive, leading to longer games featuring time to use the team chat meaningfully
  • Longer respawn would also punish one-person flag raids, as they'd leave their flag area one person down for a bit, allowing the other team to launch a counterattack. This punishment of uncommunicated raids would encourage teamwork, I believe
  • Conservation of weapons would possibly encourage players to distribute them more stragically (ie: there is only one red-team Hagar, and it never despawns or respawns. Spawn weapons wouldn't get dropped, which might make finding shotgun ammo a bit harder, but hopefully it'll use bullets in the next version)

This would also make raiding much riskier, as you might end up leaving your team's nex or something in your opponents' hands.

It would also encourage specialization on maps where guns are scarce, which would lead to neat gameplay imo
  • Maybe Hypnotic would feature an altered Buff system too
  • Lowered Health is a consideration, as it would make players more careful, but I feel like it would risk debalancing any weapons that trade damage for ease of aim, like the shotgun or the hlac. The Crylink would also become OP, probably
  • Lowered movement speed would again discourage less strategic raids (would take longer to redo), and may be a good alternative to long respawn times (or accessory), but may end up drying the game of a lot of fun.

It may also give a defending team more time to strategize in the chat
  • Changing weapon composition may also be a good idea, though I'm not sure whether it really would be or how I would do so.
  • Slowed vehicle respawn and slightly augmented vehicle health, so that plans for their destruction can be a valuable option for teams, and would give them something else to think about.
  • As a combination of all of the above stuff, I think the usual style of play would boil down to a cool period of planning with a player or two fetching resources in neutral zones broken by an attack, followed either by a heated counterattack (if it fails) or a score and return to planning. If one of the gatherers out in the neutral zone got taken out by another one, it would also be a prime opportunity for the winning team to collect stuff and/or launch an attack. I think that this would be a very different style of play that may attract a very different kind of player.
  • This mode of play would also encourage clans to come up with common gameplans and jargon, which would be pretty cool imo
  • Probably more new-player friendly
    • more time to ask questions
    • slower targets
    • less gun clutter to figure out at any one time
New ideas and arguments against those I've given are both encouraged

If I get enough support in this thread I'll give making it a shot; I think it could make for a new and dare I say preferable style of play

Sounds like it could work, and most of it seems easy enough to do. Why not get the core elements done and put up a server for it? that usually a better gauge of a mod/mutator/thing 's validity than a forum poll.

For the longest time I've wanted to set up a server with only 3 weapons. I talked to Mario two weeks ago about the server and wanted to set it up so there was no laser jumping and way slower movement ie life liek speeds.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I don't get it, you make it sound like there's a problem with players team play cooperation and not with players knowing how to play the game? This easy to play mod effort would be much better spent on tutorials about the core gameplay and sharing them.

On competitive games flag running is already pretty difficult and raidings require communication (and a little bit of situational awareness as well) to succeed, getting away fast is the privilege of the attacker and if the defending guy were to always match the ground speed of the attacker then we'd have a balance issue at hand. One well stacked guy in defense can easily take out two guys attacking even when they're coming at max speed (which is why you usually DO coordinate with team mates already, you don't need to slower the speed and pace of the game to achieve that), that is simply how roles are distributed and balanced in CTF games. If you flag run continuously with ease then the teams are simply unbalanced, this is a lack of experienced players- problem, not a gameplay problem. Making the game easier and slower for people who are used to having all the time in the world for thinking is not a well established solution, it either makes the skill gap pointlessly thin or makes experienced players all the more difficult to deal with. Learning Xonotic tactics is an everlasting trial and error process, wrong decisions are as much important as right decisions. If you would always have the time to make the right decisions, it would pulverize the decision making/execution ratio completely basically or simply turn Xonotic into Halo/CSGO with primitive team play mechanics that every other game has automatically as well when the teamspeak is enabled. Xonotic tactics may be full of improvisation in an unintuitive way, but that's what makes it good on organized matches.

I'm primarily against this mode, because there's already too much diversion and different branches in Xonotic playerbase to top it off with the lack of it in the first place. But ultimately nothing is stopping you for going for it anyway.

(07-31-2015, 03:11 PM)Drauts Wrote: [*]Conservation of weapons would possibly encourage players to distribute them more stragically (ie: there is only one red-team Hagar, and it never despawns or respawns. Spawn weapons wouldn't get dropped, which might make finding shotgun ammo a bit harder, but hopefully it'll use bullets in the next version)
This is true, limiting weapons and ammo leads to more strategy by it's very nature (see Quakeworld 4v4). This is a flaw in Xonotic which I completely agree with and is probably due to the work in progress weapon/ammo balance.

(07-31-2015, 03:11 PM)Drauts Wrote: [*]Lowered movement speed would again discourage less strategic raids (would take longer to redo), and may be a good alternative to long respawn times (or accessory), but may end up drying the game of a lot of fun.
(08-06-2015, 07:11 PM)end user Wrote: and wanted to set it up so there was no laser jumping and way slower movement ie life liek speeds.
Well, firstly ewww and secondly I believe there's already Unreal Tournament for that. I personally hate CTF in every Unreal game due to that translocator bullcrap though.

the more the merrier