Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Compiled Maps Not Working

Hi, I'm trying to make custom maps with NetRadiant. I make the map, I build the map, and then I put all the files into their specified folders, .bsp and .mapinfo into folder named maps etc. I also add the license. Then I zip it and rename it pk3, and then put it into my data folder with all my other downloaded maps. When I go into Xonotic it doesn't show up, I go into the command line and type chmap <mapname> and nothing works. Can someone please help me! Also if I do get mapping to work how do I upload it to the Xonotic Map Repository? Thanks in advance!
minstanex erebus Angel

Hi,
What do you mean about your data folder with all your other downloaded maps? Is it .xonotic/data/dlcache?
If so, don't put your pk3 here but on .xonotic/data instead.

If you already put your pk3 in .xonotic/data and it doesn't work, make sure the name of the pk3 matches the name of the .bsp.

You can also provide a link to your pk3 if you want, so we can see what's wrong Smile

(12-23-2018, 08:27 AM)SpiKe Wrote: Hi,
What do you mean about your data folder with all your other downloaded maps? Is it .xonotic/data/dlcache?
If so, don't put your pk3 here but on .xonotic/data instead.

If you already put your pk3 in .xonotic/data and it doesn't work, make sure the name of the pk3 matches the name of the .bsp.

You can also provide a link to your pk3 if you want, so we can see what's wrong Smile

Yes, I am putting it in .xonotic/data not .xonotic/data/dlcache, I will make sure all the file names are the same, I will link my pk3 in a couple of hours. Thanks. This is also a test map so there isn't alot to it. Also when I use textures in NetRadiant, where can I find them to put into the map pack?
minstanex erebus Angel

Ok here is my pk3 file

Attached Files
.pk3   metalgrate-v1.pk3 (Size: 1.01 MB / Downloads: 2)
minstanex erebus Angel

Ok, I see what's wrong.
I opened your map in NetRadiant, and I noticed that your map leaks. You have to add some walls and a ceiling to enclose the info_player_deathmatch entity.
Otherwise the map compiler can't tell where is the "inside" and where is the "outside" of the map.
I'm even suprized you managed to compile the map without any error? :p

In order to use the textures in the map pack, simply put the map pack (xonotic-20170104-maps-mapping.pk3, available here) on .xonotic/data.

(12-23-2018, 10:48 AM)SpiKe Wrote: Ok, I see what's wrong.
I opened your map in NetRadiant, and I noticed that your map leaks. You have to add some walls and a ceiling to enclose the info_player_deathmatch entity.
Otherwise the map compiler can't tell where is the "inside" and where is the "outside" of the map.
I'm even suprized you managed to compile the map without any error? :p

In order to use the textures in the map pack, simply put the map pack (xonotic-20170104-maps-mapping.pk3, available here) on .xonotic/data.

Ok thank you I will test that today. I already have textures in NetRadiant, but I was asking where to find textures to put them in the compiled map. I didn't realise what map leaked meant thank you. I'll let you know how it goes. Also do you have any experience with making custom character skins, or custom announcers, or custom weapons, or custom gamemodes? I really want to make a zombies gamemode like Halo. Thanks for all the help!
minstanex erebus Angel

Ok I just made a fully enclosed room, and there were no errors, I then zipped it, and renamed it, and put it in my data folder, but it still won't show up. Even the command line won't work. I'll post it here. Also forget the texture thing.

Attached Files
.pk3   testroomv2.pk3 (Size: 46.74 KB / Downloads: 2)
minstanex erebus Angel

While you're still testing your map, I would recommend putting every map in its own pk3dir as described here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...-map-setup
A pk3dir is basically an unzipped pk3, so it's easier to work with.

Once you can load it in game as a pk3dir, you can try https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...-packaging

(12-24-2018, 07:22 AM)Freddy Wrote: While you're still testing your map, I would recommend putting every map in its own pk3dir as described here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...-map-setup

Once you can load it in game as a pk3dir, you can try https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...-packaging

Ok thanks I'll try that! Do I just rename a folder that, or do I zip it and rename it pk3dir. I just do a folder right?
minstanex erebus Angel

(12-24-2018, 07:22 AM)Freddy Wrote: While you're still testing your map, I would recommend putting every map in its own pk3dir as described here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...-map-setup

Thank you! I could play in my map, but it doesn't show in the menu. How can I fix that?
minstanex erebus Angel

(12-23-2018, 12:56 PM)3agle427 Wrote: Ok I just made a fully enclosed room, and there were no errors, I then zipped it, and renamed it, and put it in my data folder, but it still won't show up. Even the command line won't work. I'll post it here
Your pk3 does not load because of the "testroomv2" folder. Just select gfx/maps/etc. folder and zip them again. They must be the parent folder. I've attached the fixed file. Wink

(12-23-2018, 12:21 PM)3agle427 Wrote: I really want to make a zombies gamemode like Halo.
There are "monsters_*" entities available in NetRadiant I believe (right click - monsters), which can spawn monsters.

(12-24-2018, 12:15 PM)3agle427 Wrote: Thank you! I could play in my map, but it doesn't show in the menu. How can I fix that?

This requires a ".mapinfo" file - it is a renamed .txt file and you open it with a text editor. So simply create a txt, put in the following info and save it as ".mapinfo" That file belongs into the "maps" folder.
cdtrack is the music played in the map. (You can find the list here)
You can add as many gametypes you want to with each line.
Code:
title YOUR MAP NAME
description YOUR MAP DESCRIPTION
author YOUR NICK
cdtrack 10
has weapons
gametype dm
gametype tdm
gametype ft

For pk3 structure and mapinfo files I would recommened to check out existing maps and use them as examples.

Attached Files
.pk3   testroomv2.pk3 (Size: 43.05 KB / Downloads: 0)

(12-25-2018, 12:08 PM)Lyberta Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 12:21 PM)3agle427 Wrote: Also do you have any experience with making custom character skins, or custom announcers, or custom weapons, or custom gamemodes? I really want to make a zombies gamemode like Halo.

There are actually 2 gamemodes that implement something like this. One is in master branch, the other one is Survival that I'm working on. The biggest problem is that monsters can't use bot waypoints right now so they are extremely dumb. I have plans to fix this but this will take a lot of time.

Thanks for the feedback, but for the zombies gamemode I want the zombies to be human players. When you die as a human you change to green team (automatically) and your skin glows green or something. Zombies would have melee only, humans would have shotgun and maybe machine guns. Humans would also get 1 point for killing a zombie, while zombies get 2-3 because it is harder to get kills as zombies. Humans would also be a little bit slower than zombies, to make it balanced. But no matter what team you're on you still keep your points, then there would be 5 rounds, 3-5 mins long. Can you help with this? How are you making a gametype?
minstanex erebus Angel

(12-27-2018, 04:08 AM)Mirio Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 12:56 PM)3agle427 Wrote: Ok I just made a fully enclosed room, and there were no errors, I then zipped it, and renamed it, and put it in my data folder, but it still won't show up. Even the command line won't work. I'll post it here
Your pk3 does not load because of the "testroomv2" folder. Just select gfx/maps/etc. folder and zip them again. They must be the parent folder. I've attached the fixed file. Wink

(12-23-2018, 12:21 PM)3agle427 Wrote: I really want to make a zombies gamemode like Halo.
There are "monsters_*" entities available in NetRadiant I believe (right click - monsters), which can spawn monsters.

(12-24-2018, 12:15 PM)3agle427 Wrote: Thank you! I could play in my map, but it doesn't show in the menu. How can I fix that?

This requires a ".mapinfo" file - it is a renamed .txt file and you open it with a text editor. So simply create a txt, put in the following info and save it as ".mapinfo" That file belongs into the "maps" folder.
cdtrack is the music played in the map. (You can find the list here)
You can add as many gametypes you want to with each line.
Code:
title YOUR MAP NAME
description YOUR MAP DESCRIPTION
author YOUR NICK
cdtrack 10
has weapons
gametype dm
gametype tdm
gametype ft

For pk3 structure and mapinfo files I would recommened to check out existing maps and use them as examples.

Thanks for the feedback I got the rest I just didn't know about the testroomv2 folder. I've been compiling the maps, and renaming the folder .pk3dir, so I'll try ziping the folder(without the pk3dir extension) and see how it goes. As I told the last person for the zombies gamemode I want the zombies to be human players. When you die as a human you change to green team (automatically) and your skin glows green or something. Zombies would have melee only, humans would have shotgun and maybe machine guns. Humans would also get 1 point for killing a zombie, while zombies get 2-3 because it is harder to get kills as zombies. Humans would also be a little bit slower than zombies, to make it balanced. But no matter what team you're on you still keep your points, then there would be 5 rounds, 3-5 mins long. Can you help with this?
minstanex erebus Angel

(12-23-2018, 10:48 AM)SpiKe Wrote: I opened your map in NetRadiant, and I noticed that your map leaks. You have to add some walls and a ceiling to enclose the info_player_deathmatch entity.
Hi SpiKe, maps with leaks can be played in Xonotic, as Mirio pointed out the issue seems to have been with the folder structure.

When I first start working on a new map, they always have leaks - missing walls, floors and ceilings in sections that haven't been done.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [MAPS] Sketchy Maps _para 4 3,997 08-18-2020, 07:15 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  xonotic-maps-extra.pk3 - Most Duel Cup maps and removed official maps in one pk3 northivanastan 1 3,713 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Last Post: northivanastan