Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Physics and Mods

Hi all,

Physics

I like practicing tings on my own pace locally since in most games I get killed rather quickly. I know how to play various maps locally by moving the map files into my data/ directory, but what about the physics? Do server admins usually share their physics settings, or are those usually private?

Mods

The other thing is the mods. Some servers have new weapons (Flac Cannon, for example) that I'd like to practice locally but I don't really understand how it works for servers to provide new features (beyond just changing variables), let alone figure out a way to do that. Is it impossible to do?

I believe that all mods are downloaded just like maps as pk3 into the the download folder. Moving them into main data folder should generally enable them, but I am not sure how the new guns are spawned in maps, it might require additional code/variables on the server.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

As an update, I found some answers. Can somebody can confirm/correct my understanding?

In a word, modified server has components not sent to the client, so we can't replicate the experience offline, unless the server's compiled progs.dat is provided.

I'm not sure about the physics part. I assume that setting is on the server only and is never sent to the client either.

Ref:

You can grab a server's modified settings by running this while connected:

condump_stripcolors 1; clear; wait; cvar_changes; cvar_purechanges; wait; condump cvars_servername.txt; which cvars_servername.txt

This will save a text file with the settings, then print where it saved to.

As for the server mods... There's only really 1 "mod" used on servers, and that's mine.
https://github.com/MarioSMB/modpack

Replicating a server's entire setup isn't as easy though, and requires knowing which packages they use (one way to do this would be to join the server, then do ls *.pk3 in console, and find the ones that aren't maps or standard Xonotic packages).
[Image: 230.png]

99% of the modified servers will either just have modified CVAR's or running the SMB mod. You can install the mod locally from here https://github.com/MarioSMB/modpack but like Mario stated if the server admin wont give you the settings it'll be trial and error.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Thanks, both.

(07-27-2015, 01:28 AM)Mario Wrote: As for the server mods... There's only really 1 "mod" used on servers, and that's mine.
https://github.com/MarioSMB/modpack

Do you mean the mods of new weapon flac, the vehicles, the shotgun-only, etc. are all part of MarioSMB?

(07-27-2015, 01:28 AM)Mario Wrote: Replicating a server's entire setup isn't as easy though, and requires knowing which packages they use (one way to do this would be to join the server, then do ls *.pk3 in console, and find the ones that aren't maps or standard Xonotic packages).

I thought this can be done by clearing out dlcache (or use a different user dir), and whatever is needed will be left in dlcache. No?

The shutgun server is not a mod. That was my creation when I wanted a fun server with a really big push back for the bullets. MoFo servers were my servers but I left Xonotic about a year ago or so.

Vehicles are part of Xonotic but some there are other vehicles which are part of the SMB mod. Most of the vehicle server will be modified to some extent.

Yah you can clear out the cache and see what packages are downloaded but you won't have the cvr settings.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(07-28-2015, 01:26 AM)end user Wrote: The shutgun server is not a mod. That was my creation when I wanted a fun server with a really big push back for the bullets. MoFo servers were my servers but I left Xonotic about a year ago or so.

It's funny that you left the game but still hangout in the forum. Smile Power of community? Or do you mean you are back now? If so, welcome back!

Do you still have the settings for MoFo? (I wonder whether most admins share their settings.)

(07-28-2015, 01:26 AM)end user Wrote: Yah you can clear out the cache and see what packages are downloaded but you won't have the cvr settings.

What about what Mario said?
Code:
condump_nocolors 1; clear; wait; cvar_changes; cvar_purechanges; wait; condump cvars_servername.txt; which cvars_servername.txt

ls *.pk3 is an alternative to clearing dlcache, and an easier/quicker one at that.

Thanks @Mario.

turned out condump_nocolors was replaced by condump_stripcolors.

Also, for those of you who are trying the same thing, "condump" opens a file, starts writing to it, but does not close the file until you quit Xonotic (or start writing to another file), i.e. in most cases you need to quit Xonotic to see the contents of the file.

That's odd. I've been able to minimize the game and open the file no problems, even on Windows.
Also, oops, will edit my post.

(08-11-2015, 12:02 AM)Mario Wrote: That's odd. I've been able to minimize the game and open the file no problems, even on Windows.

Thanks. Probably buffers not getting written yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] game modes/mods/types clarification BuddyFriendGuy 13 10,576 06-12-2016, 12:18 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy