Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork

Hello,

Several Red Eclipse players and I have decided to fork Red Eclipse into "Project Equinox". We have chosen to do so because we don't agree with the way the Red Eclipse dev team is handling contributed code and weapon variables.

Our fork is all about having options; for example, if I wanted the bots to use the Blood Frontier models instead of the Red Eclipse models, I could change that using a big options dashboard. Or, say, if I wanted a particular set of default weapon vars from a previous or new version of Red Eclipse, I could select the one I want from the dashboard.

One of our goals in making Project Equinox is to provide a large variety of in-game music. Red Eclipse's soundtrack consists of close to 8 different tracks, but I have noticed that Xonotic has a sountrack with over 20 different tracks. Also, a lot of Xonotic's music sounds better than most of the tracks in Red Eclipse.

I was wondering if it would be OK for me to include Xonotic's music in Project Equinox. I was unsure of exactly which license applies to the music; I assumed GPL, but after reading some threads here, I'm not really sure anymore. The music would be included alongside Red Eclipse's soundtrack (so it wouldn't be replacing it).

None of Xonotic's music would be used as the main theme of Project Equinox, because we are currently in the process of making Blood Frontier's old main theme into the new Project Equinox main theme (we are getting a license from the creator, if all goes well).

Again, I am unsure of whether I could use Xonotic's music in Project Equinox or not, so I need someone to clarify that for me. Also, I would like to know what licenses the music is covered under.

Thank you! Smile

You can certainly use the music -- remix, reuse, alter, etc. Officially it's under GPL although GPL for music is a bit unclear what needs to be provided.

That said, why would you want to use prominent music from another similar project, and lose the unique identity of yours?

(08-22-2015, 04:15 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: You can certainly use the music -- remix, reuse, alter, etc. Officially it's under GPL although GPL for music is a bit unclear what needs to be provided.

That said, why would you want to use prominent music from another similar project, and lose the unique identity of yours?

Well, in all honesty, Project Equinox doesn't have it's own identity... yet. One of the goals of our project is to fill it options; we'd like to give people the ability to chose to hear Xonotic's music in the game if they wish to.

Project Equinox's identity will likely begin to be defined when we reach version 1.0 (we are currently working on version 0.1). By that time, plans for the MES (Map Exchange System), an in-game online YouTube like site for sharing custom maps, will be finalized. The MES will certainly define the identity of the entire game, once it's implemented.

That being said, technically it's more of the features and optionality that define Project Equinox, rather than music. I do hope that one day we'll have original music of our own to use, but until then, I think it's a good idea to include soundtracks from other free FPS games such as Xonotic. Smile

Strange name and the biggest featute is options.

I wonder what players that game will attract.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MUSIC THREAD FOR ALL MUSIC kay 590 675,203 11-11-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: chooksta
  An attempt to produce a background music - decadium derrant 2 2,192 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM
Last Post: derrant
Music Music from out side forum Kotangens 4 2,804 08-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic music has Royalty? Narutex216Bits 1 2,383 04-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  Xonotic OST (Officially Accepted Music) Mirio 18 33,142 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  Free sfx for your music. djwayn 1 5,104 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: djwayn
Music Go Get 'em - Music Track by The Audio Monkey TheAudioMonkey 16 15,602 03-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Last Post: TheAudioMonkey
Music Low interest in music development - why? unfa 28 30,044 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Jar-El
  Orchestral music for Xonotic BuddyFriendGuy 9 13,970 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  a better way to submit music for Xonotic? BuddyFriendGuy 0 3,254 06-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy