Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] More ammo types

well then why don't we satisfy everyone's ideas by:
1) adding grenade ammo
2) fireball uses, fuel+grenades for ammo
3) nex uses, bullets+plasma for ammo

making the most powerful weapons in the game more exotic. This wouldn't be that evasive because the camping rifle is the weaker counterpart of the nex
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

(06-15-2010, 12:16 AM)Cuinnton Wrote: well then why don't we satisfy everyone's ideas by:
1) adding grenade ammo
2) fireball uses, fuel+grenades for ammo
3) nex uses, bullets+plasma for ammo

making the most powerful weapons in the game more exotic. This wouldn't be that evasive because the camping rifle is the weaker counterpart of the nex

That screws up the game's simplicity.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

it only makes 2 weapons harder to use. screwing up simplicity would be adding ammo for each weapon which is already not an option
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

I don't think I agree with weapons using two ammo types personally. It would probably be like the Warsow ammo system (you have two ammos, one that's necessary to use the weapon and another that makes your weapon stronger) or you'd need both ammos to use the weapon at all. I think Xonotic is best with using one ammo per weapon by default. This could be an interesting idea for a mod or different gameplay config however.

Also, this reminds me. Perhaps we could cvar what ammo(s) are used by which weapons and un-hardcode that. Would help people making their own mods who might wish to change how ammo works and go their own way. Eg: 'g_balance_shotgun_ammo shells', or if someone would wish to apply Cuinnton's idea to their mod or server, 'g_balance_nex_ammo electric bullets'. I'll actually try to look into that now...

[EDIT] Tried to cvar the ammo types, but that appears to be impossible due to the way weapons are coded. Maybe some other time that will be possible.

yeh fair enough, i agree. but if we leave a weapon to be extremely destructive. which there has to be at least one, such as firball secondary, id like to see it using fuel and rocket ammo, makng it a special shot. but yes dont want to overcomplicate thing Smile

and I would agree now that battery ammo is needed more than grenade ammo because it will be shared between more weapons, not just the mortar

Well I liked your idea cuinnton except the fuel + rockets, just make it use fuel it's much simpler and complicates it less, but the idea of a nex or Camping Rifle-style depending on what ammo you have for it could be cool/nice idea since you wouldn't be adding another ammo type.

What people forget also is there will be just as much ammo on map anyway, there will just be like 2 more types of it, which makes hoarding ammo harder for the stronger weapons and all weapons really, it adds some difficulty yes, and actually so your able to run out of ammo for a change..something I rarely find happened in Nexuiz for me personally, will also make the 'less' used weapons used more which will make people get better with them, otherwise I find if I get the nex/mg i'm just going to run around with that as much as possible all the time Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

that's a very good argument kojn, the game needs an incentive to use the other weapons more, this is a great solution this Smile

Yeah, I agree to that as well. Like I said, I think that being forced to switch weapons more often due to running out of ammo would be a nice thing.

I really believed in separate grenade ammo as well, if only it wasn't for that HUD issue (ammo couldn't be arranged in a 3x2 grid any more). But, electric ammo would make sense before that. So I guess that just 2 more types (electric and fuel) are good too. Better than just 4 ammos like now Smile

Problem is the fireball (only fuel weapon) would need a firing type redesign before it would be actually good to play with imo. I only support the fireball if it can be changed into a flamethrower, which I heard some people agree with (primary fire = flamethrower, secondary fire shoots the huge ball of fire that explodes). If it will keep shooting little balls that burn, I'd rather be up for removing the fireball and leaving fuel just for the jetpack / hook. A flamethrower however would rock Big Grin

Btw. I don't see why the hook gun would use fuel ammo like the jetpack, since it shoots out an electric hook. Perhaps it can use the new electric ammo instead Smile

Agreed! Smile

maybe later once there are more weapons we can implement 2 more ammo types to make 2x4. such as grenades and something else. maybe antimatter used in the portal gun and the most powerful weapons.

I really agree with most of the stuff you guys gathered up in the previous posts. The nex needs to have it's own ammo type, as there are now 5 (!) ways to pick up ammo for that gun (and also the others that use cells).
Also, this might be a good opportunity to remove the multiple ammo use of weapons.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Hi,

IMHO, the shotgun shell takes up wasted space for a weapon that is relativity ineffective. Therefore:

Shotgun
MG
Camper Rifle (actually I support eliminating this in favor of Nex [Xon] )
<Bullet ammo>

Crylink
Electro
<Plasma ammo>

Nex (or Xon)
Hlac
Hook
<Energy ammo>

Rocket
Mortar
Hagar (actually I support eliminating this in favor of Crylink)
<Rocket ammo>

I'll admit I don't know what to do with the Fireball. I do like the secondary fire mode, and changing the first to flamethrower, but the ammo for it baffles me. I guess it could be included with jetpack.

OR

We could use Generators.
Basically, you have ammo for every type of weapon all the time, but it would behave like jetpack, so if you shoot a lot of one kind of ammo, you have to switch to a different kind of generator (if you have weapon), and while you were using that one, the old one would rebuild.

Just some ideas, take them or leave them.

hint: Fix shotgun instead of eliminating it.
I support merging nex and crifle.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Looks like he meant we should make shotgun use the same ammo as MG and Rifle, not that the SG should be removed altogether. I've suggested this myself in the past. No reason why SG should get it's own ammo type while no other weapon does. It's the weakest after all.

The only way to ever fix the SG for good is to remove it as a starting weapon. The combination of it being both a starting weapon and an ammo dependent weapons makes it too hard to balance, as it is like no other weapon. Also, it shares its starting position with the laser, so folks complain of a shotgun-laser combo whenever the SG get's any reasonable firepower.

With some buffs the laser will be the only needed starting weapon, and then the shotgun can be balanced as a standalone with the same usefulness as any other ammo consuming weapon. That or it could be dropped in favor of the crylink or vice versa, merging them as you might suggest, Roakoke, to eliminate redundancy.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

I support the Shotgun having its own ammo as it does now. I think the purpose would be to add more ammo types, not to remove any. I also like the thought of the spawn weapon being provided its own ammo as well Smile

Hm, giving shotgun MG ammo isn't that bad of an idea. I still think it should be a starting weapon, it's fundamentally different from laser to integrate their functions. A few small balance changes and it should be good.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

No merging laser and shotgun would be horrible.

What I meant was the new higher laser primary damage and powerful secondary melee attack plus unlimited ammo could very plausibly upgrade the laser to the place of a truly reliable backup and starting weapon.

Thus there would be no need to keep the shotgun as a second starting and backup weapon. Once it was made a stand alone gun, it could be properly balanced to no longer waffle between useless and overpowered. And it could finally be what people expect a shotgun to be-- a scary but balanced close ranged weapon.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

It can still be between useless and overpowered even as a non-pickup weapon. We can balance it to be close range and balanced and reduce the amount of ammo it has by default, for instance.

Don't use to much ammo types! Or in the end every weapon will get an own ammo type ... or one for primary fire and one for secondary fire! Tongue
maybe we use another WEAPON, using shotgun ammo!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 630 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
  [SUGGESTION] Making Vanilla more enjoyable for Newbies Halogene 66 36,597 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,419 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,142 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] need more sunny maps like Solarium zwz 15 14,446 10-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: improvements that don't sacrifice gameplay lamefun 24 26,606 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Drauts
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,882 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
Brick [SUGGESTION] Xonstat - additional stats in stats for more stats rad dj flimflam 3 4,398 05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] more discreet Sound for Devastator (RL) JoeMaro 4 5,355 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: JoeMaro
  [SUGGESTION] Make game knowledge/info more obvious - i.e. tips Archer 7 10,773 01-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo