Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Post Guides To Import Custom Player Models

Question 
Xonotic's maps may be many and its gameplay may be fun, but due to most players wanting nothing more than to become invincible gods, custom player models are few in number (in fact, many servers don't even use most of the official ones.) However, if guides on how to import custom player models of various kinds were posted in these forums, this situation might be improvable. To start off, there are many custom player models for a certain program known as Miku Miku Dance that might appeal to a few Xonotic players, but that dream will never, ever become a reality unless someone knows how to import them and posts how to do so. If that dream can be achieved, then it will show new players that Xonotic can be about more than just becoming an invincible god. I myself see players and worlds as they really are in Xonotic, since I never make use of the simplification options.

Mario or MirceaKitsune might be able to help you with models. You might find at least one of them in #Xonotic.pickup @ Quakenet. Sorry I'm of no use, I just needed an excuse to reply to your oddly defensive post with the following remarks:

Model porting isn't documented so well because it's not in a very high demand for practical reasons. Try to understand Xonotic is not a beauty contest like Team Fortress 2, there isn't cosmetics either because Xonotic is a free game, devs aren't interested in making money off of it and most people use highly visible models because the main focus of the game isn't to camouflage yourself into your environment. Nothing to do with try-hardiness, you wouldn't want to play chess where you can't tell apart enemy pawn from your own let alone the board itself either, would you?

(11-05-2015, 11:57 AM)Orbiter Sunblast Wrote: I myself see players as they really are in Xonotic
While in reality players are shaped like boxes and guess what players are shaped like when they crouch? They're shaped like smaller boxes! Wow... Any body parts that just happen to wiggle around is just eye candy and in no way affect collision differently, you sure you're seeing the players as they really are?

The only custom model worth having on a server is the Pony's. With their taunts they add needed humour.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(11-05-2015, 11:12 PM)end user Wrote: The only custom model worth having on a server is the Pony's. With their taunts they add needed humour.
I am sure that the Quake Guy and Homer player models could do that too. Also, I am certain that the following MMD models, with fitting sounds added to them, could do the same thing:

Those models are based on the Inklings from Splatoon. GMOD has Inkling models too, but they were ripped straight from that game.

I was about to make a thread like this too since I wanted to learn how to make models, Such as weapons, maps, and player models.

Custom models aren't restricted by licenses, as they won't ever be included in the main game anyway (same with ponies, Homer and the other old Nexuiz models).
I never had much luck with Garry's Mod models, but I'm sure there's a way (might not be animated though).
[Image: 230.png]

I would rather see people port models that look like the Overkill ones vs toons. On the other hand if there were models from different games and server use those models and say physics from those games that might be something to bring in new players.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

If there are ponies, then there can be Inklings too. Unfortunately, the models in the above video are found somewhere where I don't think any of you could get them, so I won't post a link. Instead, all I can do is make you aware of someone that does use them and has an idea of where they are at:
http://mmdcharizard.deviantart.com/art/M...-566293988

Mario, if you yourself can post guides on how to import custom player models of various kinds, then please do so. That way, more people might decide to do so. Even if you just learn something, then posting it would be a good idea. Xonotic can get more custom player models suited for overkill that way, but also other types as well.

The process is vastly different depending on which game you want to rip off, no single guide could cover all of them.
We have plenty of ultra rough custom models nobody uses already anyway, would be better to bring in some modellers to make something better for the main game.

(11-07-2015, 09:21 PM)Mario Wrote: The process is vastly different depending on which game you want to rip off, no single guide could cover all of them.
We have plenty of ultra rough custom models nobody uses already anyway, would be better to bring in some modellers to make something better for the main game.
Yeah, but the problem is, where would you find such people? I guess in the end making clones of custom models for other games might be easier than actually importing them. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if 3D sculpting was easier, but as things stand right now, it more or less resembles stressful torture, if my past experiences with programs that serve that function are to be believed.

I think Me and Orbiter need a starting point for making player models such as good programs (All OS Including Linux) And a Base Model. Since there isn't any tutorials how to make player models for darkplaces Sad

You can find guides for basic modelling and rigging/animation in a lot of external locations, there doesn't need to be anything Xonotic specific in that section.
Once you know the basics, following the .blend sources from existing Xonotic playermodels would suffice;

https://gitlab.com/xonotic/mediasource/t...els/player

As for getting it into Xonotic, there is a wiki page on that already:
https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...ng/dpmodel
Instructions for getting it out of Blender:
https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis...der_to_DPM

Um, how do we grab models and turn into something else. Example Mega Erebus transformed into some animal.

And whats the difference between dpm and iqm?

And Could I make a model out of a model sheet

Import an existing Xonotic model (.blend version) into Blender, remove the old mesh, adjust your new mesh to fit to the skeleton and weight paint it, export to iqm. Sounds easy, but takes a lot of practice :p

P.S.: forget about .dpm, it's a legacy format that isn't really in use anymore. Always use .iqm!

(11-16-2015, 08:04 AM)poVoq Wrote: Import an existing Xonotic model (.blend version) into Blender, remove the old mesh, adjust your new mesh to fit to the skeleton and weight paint it, export to iqm. Sounds easy, but takes a lot of practice :p

P.S.: forget about .dpm, it's a legacy format that isn't really in use anymore. Always use .iqm!
The part where you fit the new model to the old skeleton is probably the hardest. If only MirceaKitsune were here.

(11-07-2015, 06:48 PM)Orbiter Sunblast Wrote: If there are ponies, then there can be Inklings too. Unfortunately, the models in the above video are found somewhere where I don't think any of you could get them, so I won't post a link. Instead, all I can do is make you aware of someone that does use them and has an idea of where they are at:
http://mmdcharizard.deviantart.com/art/M...-566293988
Yeah, getting those Inkling models should be possible now. Read the description of the image on the page linked to below:
http://theunfurled.deviantart.com/art/MM...-564077437
Just look for the part of the description where the download link and the authorization password are found. I myself managed to download the models, so you guys shouldn't have any issues.

I found a YouTube video that shows you how to import the models into Blender:

If any of you manage to convert any of them into custom player models for Xonotic, kindly show people how you did it. I recommend converting the hero male inkling and the hero female inkling ones, as they suit Xonotic quite well, in all honesty.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow NetRadiant-custom Garux 25 12,251 03-06-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: anoob
  Updated Xonotic gamepacks for NetRadiant and NetRadiant-custom SpiKe 2 1,805 06-25-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: anoob
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,135 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,241 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  [NEED HELP] Custom NetRadiant Textures / Textures Not Loading 3agle427 3 3,943 09-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: HIBANEZ
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,416 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
  Xonotic custom icon for profile users - editing image tutorial LegendGuard 4 2,569 12-14-2020, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,074 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,278 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Wink Custom made crosshairs Draena 4 3,081 04-21-2020, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Cortez666